600w PSU enough?

It’s actually less efficient to have too big of a power supply if you aren’t drawing that much power. You’d only want to go big if you plan to upgrade a lot later and think you’ll need the power. Aim for about 50 to 75%. 400W (to 500 or so) of 650W as described above is a pretty good target. I always go with gold too because I like efficiency.

It’s kind of like driving a car. It’s not very efficient to drive 20 mph or 100 mph, but around 60 mph is good haha

1 Like

Techtu84 I have Spinalfailed offering me a PSU. But will be quite a while before I can use it. If it would help I can send that to you. I think it’s 600 or 650w. It’s a good one I’ll have to dig messages to see what exactly it was.

Only0neKnight If you have a use for it though you should keep it for that, in my opinion anyways, that’s not to say I wouldn’t put it to good use because it certainly would be put to work right away. what do you mean by it’ll be awhile before you can use it anyways? Like it’s going in some build at some point? Shipping would be a bit pricey too I’d expect?

Those specs will never use more then 450 watts … so 500 would be enough, but 550 to 600 is more safe.

Techtu84 not worried about the shipping. It will prob be next year before I can look at a new desktop build. If it can help I’ll get with Todd and see what we can do.

1 Like

Techtu84 ahhh, for some reason when I originally read this, I thought your two options, the 600 and 650, were the same price. Totally understand your dilemma there with the funds! If I could afford the increase, I believe I’d go with the gold over the bronze certified one, just for that alone. But with funds being an issue, if Only0neKnight is offering you that one, thats probably your best bet.

I love this place, to see people helping each other like this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Techtu84 I would always check what would be the best on this site. Just made good experience with it and as long as you buy a quality PSU you can pick your favorite brand.

1 Like

Only0neKnight said in 600w PSU enough?:

Techtu84 not worried about the shipping. It will prob be next year before I can look at a new desktop build. If it can help I’ll get with Todd and see what we can do.

Honestly, that would be really appriciated. I mean, that’s some outstanding offer from you and so so generous too! :slight_smile:

PeaceLeon said in 600w PSU enough?:

Techtu84 I would always check what would be the best on this site. Just made good experience with it and as long as you buy a quality PSU you can pick your favorite brand.

Power Supply calculator - calc for silent PSUs from be quiet!

That’s the 4th online calculator I’ve used now, this and one other has shown me a figure of around 550w - 600w, the others I thought was crazy high anyway at 700w - 750w :open_mouth:

Only0neKnight I may be mistaken but isn’t Techtu84 on the other side of the pond? If yes its cost prohibitive to ship anything, especially a PSU.

Techtu84 said in 600w PSU enough?:

Only0neKnight said in 600w PSU enough?:

Honestly, that would be really appriciated. I mean, that’s some outstanding offer from you and so so generous too! :slight_smile:

PeaceLeon said in 600w PSU enough?:

Power Supply calculator - calc for silent PSUs from be quiet!

That’s the 4th online calculator I’ve used now, this and one other has shown me a figure of around 550w - 600w, the others I thought was crazy high anyway at 700w - 750w :open_mouth:

I don’t know if it’s been noted before in the thread, but avoid the RM series from Corsair. They discontinued it for a reason; i.e. failure rates - ask Trainsmash, he’s been affected.

That said if it’s from the RMi or RMx series they’ve shown themselves to be good quality.

Sgt_T8ie I have an RM series, for a while now, and no issues. Like any electronic its the roll of the dice!

1 Like

Spinalfailed Yeah, I agree, but for anyone buying I’d still steer away from the RM series. I believe for a while Corsair were doing a trade up to the newer RMi(?) series for any RM’s that were RMA’d.

Sgt_T8ie boy that’s a lot of RMs

2 Likes

Adnan_Popara said in 600w PSU enough?:

Sgt_T8ie boy that’s a lot of RMs

RM-ception

1 Like

Spinalfailed Yeah, the shipping, that did cross my mind, in all honesty I have no idea what it would amount to? Like, I wouldn’t even know where to land a guess at how much it might be?

Techtu84 More than the cost of a PSU. I have looked into it several times. There is only 1 “cheap” option and that offers no tracking and no insurance. It was still ~$35 to send a small/light GPU to someone on the same continent just in a different country(US-Mexico).

1 Like

Spinalfailed Totally not worth the risk, and that’s coming from someone who desperately needs a PSU :smiley:

I’ll just suck it up and buy the RM650x (Yes it’s the RMx - I couldn’t help but check once I read some of the comments above).

2 Likes

It is a roll of the dice, but in the case of the RM specifically, the dice is loaded. Only one that is not on the awesome warranty of Corsair. Excluded from memory. If any one has doubt, remember these words… Pop Goes the Weasel.

1 Like

Techtu84 go here … link text
and check my long post … I think that you will find lots of useful info …

1 Like

Mark2K77 said in 600w PSU enough?:

Techtu84 go here … link text
and check my long post … I think that you will find lots of useful info …

I remember that it was an epically constructed post :slight_smile:

2 Likes