Do loot boxes count as gambling?

Wanted to create a separate topic for this, because it looks like this is starting to grow and gaining more attention.
Everything about loot boxes, gambling, publishers and rants can go here :smiley:

1 Like

Burn them down! :fire:
I sincerely hope that loot boxes will be qualified as gambling.
Loot boxes certainly stimulate gambling addiction. :angry:

1 Like

I can’t see them not being classified as such. You pay money for an uncertain outcome. That’s gambling.

1 Like

I’m in favor of saying paid loot boxes are gambling if it makes devs stop using them

4 Likes

gord0 said in Are loot boxes count as gambling?:

I can’t see them not being classified as such. You pay money for an uncertain outcome. That’s gambling.

I wonder if that would make all of those subscription boxes gambling too. Is blue apron gambling because you don’t know what dinner they’ll send you?!

shiftysatchmo said in Are loot boxes count as gambling?:

gord0 said in Are loot boxes count as gambling?:

I wonder if that would make all of those subscription boxes gambling too. Is blue apron gambling because you don’t know what dinner they’ll send you?!

Sure, I don’t care if those companies exist or not… but I thought blue apron was just a delivery service, not random meals on wheels.

1 Like

In this case, Humble Montly is also gambling, because you dont know what you get each month.

buttstallion said in Are loot boxes count as gambling?:

In this case, Humble Montly is also gambling, because you dont know what you get each month.

Good
lol

buttstallion That is partially right. You do know what you get when you fork out 12 euros.

1 Like

Pre orders are gambling too because you could get a steaming pile of garbage on launch day

4 Likes

Pre orders are gambling too because you could get a steaming pile of garbage on launch day

Maybe not, everyone expects garbage on launch day these days… so not sure if it’s gambling if the chances are 100% of getting what you expected… but I’ll retract this statement if it means digital pre-orders get banned.

3 Likes

Getting married is gambling, you sure as Shizzle don’t know what you’re getting lol

5 Likes

Wouldn’t CCG booster packs be gambling then?

2 Likes

syncrosis same for having kids XD

1 Like

One good point I’ll make about some of the joke answers. You can’t get married AND know what you’re in for. You can’t have kids AND know what you’re in for. The idea of physical loot boxes of monthly random tat literally is the entirety of the advertised product… BUT you CAN have a video game without gambling, preorder tat, and multi-tiered versions.

gord0 yeah the loot boxes seem like they aren’t gambling in honesty. You’re paying an amount and you know you’ll receive one of the available outcomes. There is no chance of paying and not receiving anything, it’s just not necessarily what you hope to get. It’s like buying a pack of baseball cards (if people still do that).

1 Like

gord0 yeah the loot boxes seem like they aren’t gambling in honesty. You’re paying an amount and you know you’ll receive one of the available outcomes. There is no chance of paying and not receiving anything, it’s just not necessarily what you hope to get. It’s like buying a pack of baseball cards (if people still do that).

No, I meant the physical loot boxes like loot crate and japan crate and bobble head crate are fine. The entire product is a random box of shit. In-game loot boxes are bullshit and without them the game still exists. If you take the random box of shit away from say nerd box or 1up box…then there is no product.

Point being, removing the bullshit doesn’t hurt games. What it does hurt is bullshit in general.

gord0 I agree they are dumb, I’m just saying I don’t think they are gambling.

gord0 I agree they are dumb, I’m just saying I don’t think they are gambling.

How are they diff than a slot machine? Pump money in, might get what you want. Probly won’t. Then the entire game is altered in efforts to get you to buy loot crates.

1 Like

Slot machines and loot boxes are the same thing to me. Gambling 100%

1 Like