Do loot boxes count as gambling?

shiftysatchmo Don’t listen to Katsuo you can play the whole game never needing to do any multiplayer unless you want to :stuck_out_tongue:

gorkie gorkie \o/ “Don’t listen to Katsuo” is the phrase I live my life by :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I 99.98% agree with ShiftySatchmo 's sentiments about smaller Fed/gov/whatever and responsible adults. But to be Devil’s advocate and speak to my 0.02% of wavering; Some of these games, specifically many mobile ones, are insidiously designed to prey on and expose people’s weaknesses should they have them. I dunno where that balance is of deciding what’s too much or not. And dunno who should be spending resources and/or taxes figuring that out. But its worth looking at for sure. I’d prefer it be Steam, Apple, Android, Windows, whoever regulating their storefronts better but they won’t and its sort of invasive at this point. I dunno!

schlitty I’m being devil’s advocate too just because you don’t hear the other side of the argument at all. But I mostly believe people should be responsible for themselves with legal activities.

1 Like

Speaking with your wallet won’t work so long as most gamers don’t keep up on these sort of issues. I hope governments come down hard on lootboxes. It only results in a win.

I also don’t care about mobile. They can have all the lootboxes they want.

1 Like

gord0 I’m fine with tossing lootboxes out. Sadly, it will result in job loss though, but it’ll recover once they find the next way to make money.

1 Like

I wish my English was awesome. I wish I could slap some super cool pro words here to tell you how bad the loot boxes are. :cry:

1 Like

katsuo egregious!

shiftysatchmo egregious - eggs + religious —> meaning: eating spaghetti with a spoon is a crime

3 Likes

katsuo …ok, we will go with that. Better than the real meaning XD

1 Like

shiftysatchmo said in Are loot boxes count as gambling?:

gord0 I’m fine with tossing lootboxes out. Sadly, it will result in job loss though, but it’ll recover once they find the next way to make money.

Job loss?

gord0 yeah, when companies lose a crap load of revenue they tend to lay people off. Also, it is someone’s job to make those terrible loot boxes.

gord0 yeah, when companies lose a crap load of revenue they tend to lay people off. Also, it is someone’s job to make those terrible loot boxes.

Nobody accepts a job for a game studio expecting job security. Fuck 'em.

shiftysatchmo Since it’s EA, they’ll lose the job anyway. #ripvisceral

2 Likes

gord0 haha just saying what will happen is all. I would much rather just go back to the ol’ pay for what you know you’re getting model.

gord0 haha just saying what will happen is all. I would much rather just go back to the ol’ pay for what you know you’re getting model.

In reality it will only cost the job of one or two designers. The programmers who programmed the microtransaction stuff only programmed it because said task was allocated to them. They didn’t design the system, they merely programmed what was given to them in a design doc. The artists who made the visuals of the loot box stuff, same deal. The only people who actually designed the systems were designers. As I like to call them “paper-monkeys”. All they do is paperwork and the devs simply take what’s on those papers and make them a reality. All the programmers and artists who worked on those things will simply be given different programming/art tasks. A programmer one day could be working on an aspect of the loot box system, a couple hours later they could be working on an AI glitch.

So yeah, I don’t see any major layoffs other than the regular lay-everyone-off-after-title-ships-and-maybe-hire-them-back-next-project crap that happens independent of the current lootbox disaster.

1 Like

I just had a great idea for a cereal. Loot box loops! You never know what flavor cereal you’ll get. From the common plain cheerio to the rare Reese’s peanut butter puffs!

1 Like

shiftysatchmo And if you buy a premium box you get a toy of varying quality!

1 Like

shiftysatchmo And if your super unlucky! You get sweaty socks flavor.