August 2016 -- Changelog

8/28/16

Config Changes

• Used some of the icons and such that vijaydasr created for us
    • favicon should exist now, using the updated one
    • Used a cool touch icon as well. This is for mobile phones and will be utilized for anyone that wants to advertise for us!
  • Updated to node.js version 4.5

8/23/16

Config Changes

• Added LetsGetIt1220 as a moderator in the tech section
  • I am pleased that I haven’t had to make changes in a few weeks…

8/10/16

New Categories

Config Changes

• Added the following users to the “Reviewers” group
    • Ub6, Sgt_T8ie, Alex

8/10/16

Config Changes

• Upgrade to NodeBB v1.1.2

8/8/16

Config Changes

• Upgrade to NodeBB v1.1.1 (sorry for the downtime, I had to restart the service anyway)
  • Re-enabled the Poll plugin since they resolved their issues
  • Downgraded to Node.js LTS release
  • Broke all the things
  • Re-enabled the Twitch widget

8/4/16

Config Changes

• Add some default icons for users
    • I mostly just like pretty things. This will only impact new users. It assigns a random new icon for them
  • Disabled the Poll plugin
    • There is an issue that causes a new poll icon to appear every time you open the composer to put in a new thread or reply. No one is using polls anyway. I will re-enable once they have a fix

To Do List

• Add ranks (just need to decide on ranks)
  • More info around peoples avatars (maybe hover actions?)
  • Add an event calendar (plugin is being reworked, so no ETA on this)
  • Twitch.TV widgets (going to see how this looks, don’t want to be too obtrusive)
    • 8/4 - This is still disabled due to the issues I was having before. I will look into re-enabling it once the dev gets back to me
    • 8/8 - Re-enabled for some testing
  • Make people moderators (like we need those!)
    • 8/4 - For now ShiftySatchmo is a good enough moderator for the global forum. I think if we get a lot more people I can add more. Not really needed for now.
  • Watch for explosions on the server
    • 8/4 - With the current activity levels being far below when we launched, I think we should be good with the current server. This is a standing item, but I won’t have the activity open all the time anymore. Yay!

Hey, I am also a mod! At least in a single forum! Mention my greatness!

Regarding ranks, this is an idea here, but how about we make them gaming related? Since we are gamers after all. We could go like this:
Newbie (or New Player if you find that intrusive) Casual Player, Normal Player, Hardcore Player, Gaming God. The names are of course placeholders, even I understand that they sound weak. Also, should ranks have to do with your reputation level and post number? I think that having both should give you a higher rank, not necessarily giving you more stuff to do, but having your name being more recognizable.

Activity levels is a concern actually; I blame myself too, but I am far too busy, but I am getting really itchy getting back to social media. Maybe we should start reeling people in, we are a gaming site after all. Should we focus on just the social part? Or provide something for the members here, such as guides and that sorts of things? Not start doing giveaways, I am not that much big of a fan of them, but maybe include them at some point as well. It’s just that we need to find what we want most.

I would like to use my YouTube Channel to help Gaming Exodus if possible. But if you dislike the idea of that, I (or someone else of course) could make a completely new channel completely dedicated to the site and anything we can think of.

Alex said in August 2016 -- Changelog:

Hey, I am also a mod! At least in a single forum! Mention my greatness!

Regarding ranks, this is an idea here, but how about we make them gaming related? Since we are gamers after all. We could go like this:
Newbie (or New Player if you find that intrusive) Casual Player, Normal Player, Hardcore Player, Gaming God. The names are of course placeholders, even I understand that they sound weak. Also, should ranks have to do with your reputation level and post number? I think that having both should give you a higher rank, not necessarily giving you more stuff to do, but having your name being more recognizable.

Essentially I can set thresholds where post levels or even reputation can assign you to a group that lets you show a tag next to your name. I think I can even post trophies on their profile. I do like the idea of using gaming names. Maybe these?
Casual
Normal
Hardcore
Pro Gamer
Legend

Activity levels is a concern actually; I blame myself too, but I am far too busy, but I am getting really itchy getting back to social media. Maybe we should start reeling people in, we are a gaming site after all. Should we focus on just the social part? Or provide something for the members here, such as guides and that sorts of things? Not start doing giveaways, I am not that much big of a fan of them, but maybe include them at some point as well. It’s just that we need to find what we want most.

I definitely want to get more activity here. I think new users would be awesome. Not sure what the best idea is to get people involved. I am down for spinning up new servers for creating a bigger community. Guides would be awesome too. I may see how much effort / cost it would be to integrate some of the cool review information from like OpenCritic to show game information. This could make posting reviews / guides easier. A side benefit is that if reviews or guides start appearing, we could post them on OpenCritic.

I also started an ad campaign from Google to post links to this place. Nothing too impressive.

I would like to use my YouTube Channel to help Gaming Exodus if possible. But if you dislike the idea of that, I (or someone else of course) could make a completely new channel completely dedicated to the site and anything we can think of.

Feel free to make videos and point people here. I am working with vijaydasr to get some icons that can be used to link people here instead of just text links.

1 Like

I am still posting a link to GX on all of my reviews if nothing else. Also did a couple of game trailer articles and made sure there were posts here to help and direct people so we can get some more coming in! I’ve had a few click throughs but no idea what that leads to :smiley:

I am really itching for some sort of Game Server myself, I want to get one for Enos Tech and am thinking BF1 may be the game. If I do, will throw Gaming Exodus on it as well!

Lastly, I know some people are, but is definitely worth throwing the GX clan tag around where we can and getting people to add a link in their profiles for games etc. I will be adding some GX tags to my names when I can be bothered as I am horrible for updating things :smiley:

I’ve got more ideas as well when the time comes and one specific one I will try to incorporate around the beginning of Sept that WILL bring some traffic in :wink:

Also, I’m sure you’ve mentioned it but is there a way to get it so we can list all the server we have for games etc. and does anyone know where I can find this info and if there are any plugins or what not I could add to my Word Press site to advertise them there as well?

I swear, I literally have loads of Ideas and will do what I can to help :smiley:

LetsGetIt1220 said in August 2016 -- Changelog:

I am still posting a link to GX on all of my reviews if nothing else. Also did a couple of game trailer articles and made sure there were posts here to help and direct people so we can get some more coming in! I’ve had a few click throughs but no idea what that leads to :smiley:

Thanks!

I am really itching for some sort of Game Server myself, I want to get one for Enos Tech and am thinking BF1 may be the game. If I do, will throw Gaming Exodus on it as well!

Lastly, I know some people are, but is definitely worth throwing the GX clan tag around where we can and getting people to add a link in their profiles for games etc. I will be adding some GX tags to my names when I can be bothered as I am horrible for updating things :smiley:

I’ve got more ideas as well when the time comes and one specific one I will try to incorporate around the beginning of Sept that WILL bring some traffic in :wink:

Let me know if you need me to do anything

LetsGetIt1220 said in August 2016 -- Changelog:

Also, I’m sure you’ve mentioned it but is there a way to get it so we can list all the server we have for games etc. and does anyone know where I can find this info and if there are any plugins or what not I could add to my Word Press site to advertise them there as well?

I swear, I literally have loads of Ideas and will do what I can to help :smiley:

I can make a widget on the side panel to show the existing servers I run and link to them. It won’t be anything fancy though.

As for a WordPress plugin, something might exist. I know there is a cool plugin for using these forums as the comments for WordPress blogs. Beyond that, I am not too sure.

Updated NodeBB and re-enabled the poll plugin. Yay fixes!

2 Likes

teh_g Awesome job as always, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

ButtStallion said in August 2016 -- Changelog:

teh_g Awesome job as always, thanks :slight_smile:

Now to just fix the weird composer issue.

Phew, after some work, I got things all fixed. Sorry for all the downtime…

Also, I re-enabled the Twitch widget. I am hoping it was originally broken due to the thing causing the composer bug…

Nooo … you stole our emojis :’(

PeaceLeon Oh. Let me fix that…

PeaceLeon said in August 2016 -- Changelog:

Nooo … you stole our emojis :cry:

I love you :apple:

1 Like

More forum updates.

REVIEW ALL THE GAMES

Did you recently adjust something with the imgur embeds? I recently tried to put 3 pics in one post in the funnies… had to post in separate posts. When I tried to put them in one post, the second or 3rd pic would stay at 0% with no error message.

gord0 said in August 2016 -- Changelog:

Did you recently adjust something with the imgur embeds? I recently tried to put 3 pics in one post in the funnies… had to post in separate posts. When I tried to put them in one post, the second or 3rd pic would stay at 0% with no error message.

Hmm, I didn’t make any changes there. It might have been the server being sad about the quick succession of uploads. When you copy something into the composer window you upload it to my server, my server does some resizing to make it fit better here, then it sends it to imgur via the imgur API, imgur returns the URL for the photo, then updates the composer.

If it keeps happening, let me know. I can start trying to reproduce it.

1 Like

Moderate all the things!

Updated the favicon with the final version that vijaydasr made:

Favicon

Also used the cool touch icon that he created. This is used on mobile and for buttons like the one LetsGetIt1220 is using on his site!

Touch Icon

3 Likes