blocking ads on your home network

I had an extra Raspberry Pi sitting around, so I set it up to block DNS requests to known advertising networks. It is basically a more powerful uBlock!

This would be great if you could install it to your local router instead of adding another router :slight_smile:

1 Like

milkywayman you mean as plugin or add on?

milkywayman said in blocking ads on your home network:

This would be great if you could install it to your local router instead of adding another router :slight_smile:

I think some routers would allow it. I want to say the DD-WRT and Tomato allow for addons basically, so you might be able to import a block list of domains.

I happened to have the Pi sitting around, it was wicked easy to setup. My only complaint comes from my router itself, instead of sending out the specified DNS addresses, it is giving its address and forwarding requests to my Pi-Hole. The only thing that causes is that my reports show my router as the source address for my DNS queries now.

If your router will handle a custom firmware as teh_g mentioned I believe you can.

2 Likes

That’s pretty slick!

I’ve never took the time to look into a Pi, though I do know they can do some amazing stuff.

What are the odds that you could set one up as a standalone VPN for say an android box? I’d be very interested in that, I’m not big on my Android box but I do like to watch the occasional USA based show before the episode hits the U.K.

I’d also imagine if you can do that, you’d also be able to do it for the PC so setting up a Pi to have Ad block and VPN. I know there are programs for this but as we all can imagine, I think having a standalone unit capable of doing this almost on a plug and play basis after initial setup would be a pretty sweet thing.

Next we just need to also program it to block out things from the internet we don’t want to see like Cash Me outside girl and the Kardashians!

Can you say CA CHING!?!?!

LetsGetIt1220 said in blocking ads on your home network:

I’ve never took the time to look into a Pi, though I do know they can do some amazing stuff.

What are the odds that you could set one up as a standalone VPN for say an android box? I’d be very interested in that, I’m not big on my Android box but I do like to watch the occasional USA based show before the episode hits the U.K.

I’d also imagine if you can do that, you’d also be able to do it for the PC so setting up a Pi to have Ad block and VPN. I know there are programs for this but as we all can imagine, I think having a standalone unit capable of doing this almost on a plug and play basis after initial setup would be a pretty sweet thing.

Next we just need to also program it to block out things from the internet we don’t want to see like Cash Me outside girl and the Kardashians!

Can you say CA CHING!?!?!

I actually started looking into making my own router so I can run cool things on it. Apparently VPNs are hard :smiley: . If you want maximum speed, you need a pretty beefy CPU and probably actively cooled. Some of the newer Celerons can do ~200 Mbps on AES-128, which isn’t anything to sniff at.

I doubt a Pi could accomplish a fast VPN, but I bet it could do a VPN. To force your one Android box to talk over a VPN, you’d need to have the Pi setup as a proxy with the VPN client running on it. Then point the Android box to the Pi proxy.

1 Like