Building a gaming PC?

What do you guys do when you need a new gaming computer? Do you spec out the parts and put it together? Do you have a favorite place to buy a pre-built PC?

I take my time specing it out and usually make a few options to pick from.

1 Like

teh_g a wild todd eckard apears and help me that is happens to me usually. hahaha

3 Likes

I always spec it out and build it myself. I feel weird having a company build it for me.

I am a huge fan of https://pcpartpicker.com/ for building the PC.

2 Likes

teh_g said in Building a gaming PC?:

I always spec it out and build it myself. I feel weird having a company build it for me.

I am a huge fan of https://pcpartpicker.com/ for building the PC.

Ditto. Plus it is fun and can be much more affordable.

I spec it out and do it myself. It’s normally a nice upgrade for me so I try to pick out what I need to do first and foremost which is usually a new Mobo and CPU and maybe some RAM. GPUs, SSD, HDD , PSU and cases can all be reused with most any hardware and I normally upgrade them as and when I can at a later date.

I personally try to stick with Amazon UK and Overclockers UK when building as I’ve had the best experiences and relationships with them when something goes wrong. With Amazon if you get a DOA part, they will send a new one before collecting the old and with Overclockers it usually doesn’t take them to long to rectify issues as they have great relationships with most manufacturers.

1 Like

LetsGetIt1220 said in Building a gaming PC?:

I spec it out and do it myself. It’s normally a nice upgrade for me so I try to pick out what I need to do first and foremost which is usually a new Mobo and CPU and maybe some RAM. GPUs, SSD, HDD , PSU and cases can all be reused with most any hardware and I normally upgrade them as and when I can at a later date.

I personally try to stick with Amazon UK and Overclockers UK when building as I’ve had the best experiences and relationships with them when something goes wrong. With Amazon if you get a DOA part, they will send a new one before collecting the old and with Overclockers it usually doesn’t take them to long to rectify issues as they have great relationships with most manufacturers.

Normally I get everything new, but next year I think I’ll keep my psu, case and GPU. It’ll be relatively affordable to get a mobo, cpu, ram and some SSDs. Then I’ll probably upgrade the GPU 6 months or so after that. In the meantime I think the Fury x with a better cpu will more than hold me over.

ShiftySatchmo I used to do that too, but now I have some decent stuff. I refuse to sell my SSD and HDD for obvious reasons so normally reuse them, I’m actually down to my last 500GB mech hard drive which is no going on around 8-years lol.

I have a couple of 650W Gold Rated PSUs that will work for most any single graphics card set up and cases, meh! I’m actually using the cheapest case I have reviewed in over a year for my personal build and all my SSDs are even inserted properly lol. Everything is just thrown in the case and looks an absolute wreck, but it works great :smiley:

2 Likes

Step 1. get a loan Step 2. buy cheap things step 3. play step 4. cry every time while returning the loan step 5. game on XD

2 Likes

ArsonSami said in Building a gaming PC?:

Step 1. get a loan Step 2. buy cheap things step 3. play step 4. cry every time while returning the loan step 5. game on XD

I usually go with NewEgg or Amazon’s credit card for the sweet no interest deals for 1 year. It makes payment a bit easier.

I usually go with NewEgg or Amazon’s credit card for the sweet no interest deals for 1 year. It makes payment a bit easier.

I just save until I can afford it without credit.

2 Likes

ShiftySatchmo said in Building a gaming PC?:

Mr. Responsible over here. I like earning my sweet sweet credit card rewards.

1 Like

That’s why the key is save the money, use the card for rewards, pay it off right away, ???, no debt.

2 Likes

That’s why the key is save the money, use the card for rewards, pay it off right away, ???, no debt.

Or pay on Credit Card with 0% interest if you pay the account off in full each month; then that money is instead being used against your mortgage until the end of the month…

Fuck I hate the adult I’ve become.

2 Likes

I buy the absolute best core parts I can afford(which isn’t that great to be honest) - chassis, PSU, CPU, Mobo. Everything else is upgradable so I only have to settle for older (i.e. re-use existing GPU) or cheaper stuff as I slowly improve my PC. I consider it leveling-up for the PC with more & more uncommon/rare equipment being looted & placed on the build.

I started with a new Fractal Node 304, 1x8GB G.Skill, 550W FSP Raider, Gigabyte H87N ITX mobo, i5 4570 with stock cooler, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD & used my existing HDDs (2 x 1TBs) & GPU (HD6950)

The only thing that remains in my current PC is the 240GB SSD! But I still consider it the same PC! Like the Dwarven battle Axe that passes from mother to daughter, when the handle breaks, a new shaft is fitted, when the head wears out a new blade is forged…but it’s still the same axe. (Apparently known as the Ship of Theseus Paradox… The more you know.)

1 Like

I can’t remember when I’ve built a new computer from scratch. I can’t afford to do it all at one time, and I don’t want to go in debt to do it, so I mainly just upgrade pieces of it at a time. Sometimes I’ll upgrade the CPU, RAM and board, sometimes the GPU and PSU, sometimes hard drives or peripherals. I try to save up money here and there, and from birthdays and Christmas, so about once a year I have enough to safely do something. When that time rolls around, I usually just get the thing I need most, and whatever is the best version of it available in my budget.

This year, I’m really wanting to upgrade my graphics card. I think I have enough for a 1070, maybe even a 1080, and I’m hoping sometime later this fall or winter I can get one when they are more available and maybe a little less.

I read a lot, try to learn what I want my computer to do and get some advise from friends. This last build I did get some not really bad advise but could have been better, turns out some of the cheaper CPU’s rate better than my 6 Core i7 for gaming and the board suggested to me was not the best for gaming either, more of an overclockers board.

I am very dedicated to Newegg.com they have treated me very well over the years and I like to buy everything from the same place as I have gotten the old “Oh well the problem is with what you got from the other guys” and then get the same reply from the “other guys” saying that they parts I got are bad from the first place. By buying from the same place there is no way that game can be played.

Oh and I do not buy pre-build PC’s build my own. Well have friends help, I am trying to learn but have some hand problems that require assistance with screws on the left side or anything that requires fine motor movement on the left but I am learning more and more with each build.

teh_g here it is way to complicated XD

ShiftySatchmo Here saving is impossible with all things i have to pay and do lol

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie said in Building a gaming PC?:

Or pay on Credit Card with 0% interest if you pay the account off in full each month; then that money is instead being used against your mortgage until the end of the month…

Fuck I hate the adult I’ve become.

In my opinion saving the cash is always better than payments. Save for a year and buy what you want. That way if something happens where you need that money you have the option to use it versus having debt. No interest debt is still debt. But everyone handles money differently and has different philosophies. Do what works for you!

3 Likes