Building a gaming PC?

I spec out every component option. I make a list of component models and possible substitutes. I look for deals within a certain time frame. Then I put it on a rewards credit card and pay it off almost immediately with the cash I saved for the project. Then if I forget something I can use the rewards from the credit card to buy it or something else I might want for it.

2 Likes

MysticHydro said in Building a gaming PC?:

I spec out every component option. I make a list of component models and possible substitutes. I look for deals within a certain time frame. Then I put it on a rewards credit card and pay it off almost immediately with the cash I saved for the project. Then if I forget something I can use the rewards from the credit card to buy it or something else I might want for it.

Pretty much how I handle it

1 Like

ShiftySatchmo save money i donā€™t know those words together, i wonder how does that feel like. lol

1 Like

manguit0u said in Building a gaming PC?:

ShiftySatchmo save money i donā€™t know those words together, i wonder how does that feel like. lol

Haha the trick is to only spend money on what you need. If you donā€™t have money left after that, you just shouldnā€™t buy extra stuff. It sucks, I know, but itā€™s the only way to get out of debt. If you canā€™t even buy what you need then it is even more important to be careful.

2 Likes

ShiftySatchmo hehehehe well i have lost 11 pounds just for not being able to buy enought food for me hahahaha sooo this server it doesnā€™t allow tricks or hacks or anything :frowning:

1 Like

teh_g usually I take the time to make a detailed specification for my PC build, starting from the purpose of PC and components (usually end up with 2-3 variations for build) ā€¦ I use part picker only as a reference for the purchase price ā€¦ As for the specification of components usually start from the very manufacturers of IT equipment ā€¦ by studying the products and technical detailsā€¦ I give priority to brand with whom I have previously positive experience ā€¦ but in the selection of components for my build , important to me is the feedback on the product, from ordinary people and friends who use similar or same products ā€¦ I donā€™t trust too much guys like Linus and Co. :slight_smile: and i donā€™t care too much for marketing or fight blue vs. red vs. green team ā€¦ (from my perspective it is guerrilla marketing only, If you remember fairy tales from Gaming Tribe ā€¦ and posts on AMD like that one one from Angel :slight_smile: ā€¦ )

regarding pre-built PC / notebook hmm i donā€™t buy them (because I am an IT professional with many years of service in the IT industry) ā€¦ but but I can recommend a couple of them ā€¦

my personal part picker is a list like this one :slight_smile: this is how I start select components :slight_smile: xD

link text

Mark2K77 Take a look at https://pcpartpicker.com. They make it really easy to make a list of parts. It also does compatibility checking for you!

It also makes it so you can have cool markdown based embeds for awesome forums like ours :wink:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $101.74 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $222.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $224.00 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case $107.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $117.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.4 CFM 140mm Fan -
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.4 CFM 140mm Fan -
Monitor BenQ XL2730Z 27.0" 144Hz Monitor $500.98 @ Newegg
Monitor Asus MG279Q 27.0" 144Hz Monitor $570.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2276.62
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $2246.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-29 00:52 EDT-0400
1 Like

teh_g I know all that but ā€¦ I can think and read specification :slight_smile: I have confidence in my abilities to select and connect compatible components ā€¦

1 Like

Mark2K77 said in Building a gaming PC?:

teh_g I know all that but ā€¦ I can think and read specification :slight_smile: I have confidence in my abilities to select and connect compatible components ā€¦

Ahh, I am lazy so I use PCPartPicker. It makes it so I have to think less :smiley:

1 Like

teh_g btw you miss few little thingies :stuck_out_tongue: for pimping up that build :slight_smile:

link text
link text
link text

Mark2K77 said in Building a gaming PC?:

teh_g btw you miss few little thingies :stuck_out_tongue: for pimping up that build :slight_smile:

link text
link text
link text

I do want to get some LEDs to act as back lighting for my monitors. I just got lazy.

I actually canā€™t see my desktop from the place I have it now, so I donā€™t need anything too fancy inside.

1 Like

teh_g I will get them for my build, because I see my PC. And damn thing must look good inside out xD ā€¦ only I will make LED PWM controller by my self :slight_smile: on arduino uno R3 ā€¦ I like to play with electronics :slight_smile:

1 Like

I goto PC Partpicker, and do some research on prices and performanceā€¦ price is my biggest thing, and then I ask around cause performance has to come secondary to me as price has to be first.

1 Like

I figure out what the build will be used for mainly (in my case gaming) and spec certain items out from that idea.

I figure out the GPU first and then the CPU to match (usually get the best I can afford and make sure it is a good over clocker to help extend its replacement life cycle).

Everything else falls into place after that.

I like to make NCIX and Newegg battle it out on their ā€œlowest price guaranteeā€ thing. I find the same item, tell one that the other has it at such and such a price and they match it. Tell them matching is kind of lame and I will just buy it there, they usually beat it by 10%. I tell the other guys they have dropped their price for my purchase and they match tooā€¦ rinse and repeat.
A fair number of times they donā€™t go for it, but a surprising number of times they do. :smiley:

2 Likes