Calm down I'm trying to forum.

Hey everyone. First time poster long time commenter. Just posting this to let you guys know that you need to calm down. I mean seriously I’m just trying to view threads but everyone is too active.

MyLifeForAiur Thats because we are real people not bots XD

1 Like

ArsonSami I’m still not sure if you are a bot or not. I’ve never actually met you.

MyLifeForAiur I am like Hodor XD

1 Like

ArsonSami You sound like you’re the life of the party.

Haha teh_g is working on it.

1 Like

I’ve never gotten that error before…

1 Like

gord0 I’ve only got it that one time. Such a let down because I wanted to check it before work to see if someone responded yet. Didn’t get to check again until I got to work 50 minutes later. First world problems I know.

2 Likes

ShiftySatchmo said in Calm down I'm trying to forum.:

Haha teh_g is working on it.

MyLifeForAiur said in Calm down I'm trying to forum.:

gord0 I’ve only got it that one time. Such a let down because I wanted to check it before work to see if someone responded yet. Didn’t get to check again until I got to work 50 minutes later. First world problems I know.

So, I am working on this. It is sort of a weird situation. A “small” community will work on 512 MB of memory. Apparently we don’t count as small! We fit into what nodeBB (the forum software) calls a Small Business community (holy shit).

From talking to some other nodeBB admins, they are impressed that the forum is alive on this small server.

Ultimately I need to scale up the server. I have to be a bit careful, since scaling it up will also increase cost by a lot. Currently at $5 a month, moving up to higher memory and a beefier server will be closer to $20 a month based on what people are estimating we need.

teh_g I can pitch in, setup a paypal and I’m sure others will help too :slight_smile:

Only0neKnight said in Calm down I'm trying to forum.:

teh_g I can pitch in, setup a paypal and I’m sure others will help too :slight_smile:

I may end up doing that. I honestly was hoping to keep it in house, because I don’t want to worry about holding money from people! I could do a Patreon or something since that is more managed instead of me worrying.

I mostly want to be transparent with anything I do for you all, and PayPal makes that harder than I’d like.

Honestly too, money isn’t a huge issue (not trying to brag or anything). I mostly am worried about my wife being mad when I tell her what I spend my budget on. Though that is the benefit of having a proper budget…

2 Likes

teh_g I would definitely pitch in what I can. How many other people have had this issue? It’s only come up once for me.

MyLifeForAiur said in Calm down I'm trying to forum.:

teh_g I would definitely pitch in what I can. How many other people have had this issue? It’s only come up once for me.

The 503 error was raised 25 times yesterday. I may start off with moving to 1 GB of memory (boo server downtime) and then scale up again if they continue. I only see 1 in the logs for today, but it is still early. Peak time is usually late morning / early afternoon Pacific.

1 Like

teh_g OMG what a cheapskate :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll let you come over to drink beer every month. We can tell our wives it is for charity! Wait, what are we talking about again?

ShiftySatchmo said in Calm down I'm trying to forum.:

teh_g OMG what a cheapskate :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll let you come over to drink beer every month. We can tell our wives it is for charity! Wait, what are we talking about again?

Yeah yeah, that sounds like a plan… YNAB definitely makes this kind of spending easier!

1 Like

teh_g Haha nice busiest time of the day begins when I’m done for the day and off to bed. Thanks everyone I’ll take the hint.

3 Likes

Made the server stronger. Hopefully less of these errors and maybe faster page loads?

2 Likes

MyLifeForAiur lol XD XD

1 Like