Connection lost message on new machine

When trying to come here, using the new laptop I got, I get a message in the lower right corner that says connection to this server is lost. Also, I can’t click on any of the buttons.

But the site is working fine on the old laptop. Both machines are using the latest version of firefox, with adblock plus as the only installed plugin. But obviously, since its a new machine, something is different.

Anyone got any ideas?

Polekatt said in /404:

When trying to come here, using the new laptop I got, I get a message in the lower right corner that says connection to this server is lost. Also, I can’t click on any of the buttons.

But the site is working fine on the old laptop. Both machines are using the latest version of firefox, with adblock plus as the only installed plugin. But obviously, since its a new machine, something is different.

Anyone got any ideas?

Test other browsers to narrow search.

Polekatt Can you hit F12 and open the browser console to see if there is an error?

Does it work in an incognito tab of Firefox?

Ok, I tried other browsers, and they all do the same thing. Incognito firefox also does the same thing.

I can open the console hitting F12, and it says-

Use of getPreventDefault() is depracated. Use defaultPrevented instead

It also says this in F12-

get https://www.gamingexodus.com/socket.io/ 400 bad request 49ms

What security software do you use? Does it happen with firewall disabled? Does it happen in windows safe modw with networking?

none, so far, its just using windows defender. can try disabling the firewall later, but right now, other work stuff going on.

I mean, its working fine otherwise. Even other boards are doing fine. its only this board.

Polekatt said in Connection lost message on new machine:

none, so far, its just using windows defender. can try disabling the firewall later, but right now, other work stuff going on.

I mean, its working fine otherwise. Even other boards are doing fine. its only this board.

Weird. That error is coming from socket.io, which is what manages the streaming connection the the forums. I have no idea why it would report a 400 error…

Do pages load at all, or is it completely broken?

well, another weird thing, is, now THIS (the old laptop) is doing it! The pages load, and I can see them, but I’m getting an error that says connection to Gaming Exodus was lost, in the lower right corner, and on the new machine, none of the buttons do anything, if I click on them.

well, another weird thing, is, now THIS (the old laptop) is doing it! The pages load, and I can see them, but I’m getting an error that says connection to Gaming Exodus was lost, in the lower right corner, and on the new machine, none of the buttons do anything, if I click on them.

Part of that may have been from me breaking the forum just now. If you fresh the page (F5), that should be resolved.

I still have no idea why your main system would do that…

ok, older laptop is back to normal now. but the new one is still doing the same thing.

I can see, read through, click all the buttons to navigate. It just has that error, and when I click buttons like upvote or reply, it doesn’t do anything.

ok, older laptop is back to normal now. but the new one is still doing the same thing.

I can see, read through, click all the buttons to navigate. It just has that error, and when I click buttons like upvote or reply, it doesn’t do anything.

Does it do the same thing on both wired/wireless? Does it do the same thing on a diff network?

Polekatt are you using the login feature of Firefox to bring all your bookmarks etc over to Any machine you use? If yes, log out, clear cache and try again.

ShiftySatchmo being all shifty on me moved the thread. couldn’t find it last night, and thought it was part of the problem. LOL anyway-

I tried it when I got home, completely different network, both wired and wireless, and still have the same problems.

Its a brand new machine, brand new install, of both firefox and edge. I did not import anything, just tried going directly to this website, and signing in. I did go ahead and log out and clear cache though, just to see if that would make a difference, and it did not. It gives the error even while logged out.

I’m completely stumped.

ShiftySatchmo being all shifty on me moved the thread. couldn’t find it last night, and thought it was part of the problem. LOL anyway-

I tried it when I got home, completely different network, both wired and wireless, and still have the same problems.

Its a brand new machine, brand new install, of both firefox and edge. I did not import anything, just tried going directly to this website, and signing in. I did go ahead and log out and clear cache though, just to see if that would make a difference, and it did not. It gives the error even while logged out.

I’m completely stumped.

Does it happen in safe mode with networking?

Polekatt Yeaaaaah I forgot to mention it haha. You were so close to having it in the right spot :wink:

1 Like

I’m completely stumped.

What URL are you using? Try just “https://gamingexodus.com

1 Like

teh_g \o/ you da man!!!

that did it! posting right now from the new laptop. I was typing in www. tried https and it works fine!

1 Like

teh_g \o/ you da man!!!

that did it! posting right now from the new laptop. I was typing in www. tried https and it works fine!

Weird. The website should forward you if you try to use www, but apparently it isn’t. I should fix that…

teh_g said in Connection lost message on new machine:

Weird. The website should forward you if you try to use www, but apparently it isn’t. I should fix that…

I fixed it. Yay!

2 Likes