Costs: Console Vs. PC

Lessons learnt and why I game on a PC now. So Daniel (my 5 year old son) bugged me to setup my PS3. Being Xmas, I did and quickly realised I had no games to play. Last week I took him to EB Games to buy a Lego Game, second hand as he is only 5 (yeah cheap dad). Saw they had a 2 for 1 deal and bought two Lego games for NZD24 and then bought a relatively newer one for NZD48. I did not think too much of it, as it was for the boy and the problem solving aspect of the games are OK. Today bundle stars had a promotion for 3 for USD10 (NZD 14.50) for Lego games. So I bought 3 more, 3 of them that can be selected are the newest versions.

Moral of the story, yes a PC cost more to build, but this single console games purchase has probably costed me more than my entire Steam catalogue, if I subtract Borderlands 2, which the only game I believe I paid full fare for.

Let the vitriol flow.

My opinion exactly. And I hate/can’t use controllers, so another point to the PC :smiley:

3 Likes

PS3 games here are practically free. I can find PS3 games from $1-10 here hihihi.
But I have to agree with you. Steam games are hella cheaper and you can buy 'em without even spending a penny but keep in mind that you don’t really “own” these games and that’s probably the reason why the games are cheaper to get.

If you are buying games for console, just buy the exclusive games that are only for consoles. That’s the only reason why anyone should get a console. And if possible, buying a physical copy of the game would be even better.

ButtStallion , you can connect a keyboard and a mouse to a console, in case you didn’t know.

Katsuo Wow, you dont say :stuck_out_tongue: But if I connect a keyboard and mouse to the console, it is already easier to sit in front of my awesome pc :smiley:

4 Likes

Consoles are basically around in my house because of exclusives. Why EA thinks pc gamers don’t like NHL, nobody knows.

3 Likes

Katsuo physical copy of the game is same shit as digital copy … With out of Internet every game with DRM protection is unplayable … And on the other hand digital copy and physical copy does not give you any kind of ownership rights … Owner = registered company that owns the copyright … you’re the user only in every EULA … so the only thing you own in this story is a game console or PC … And by purchasing a license for the game (digital or physical copy) and accepting the EULA you acquired the right to use (correct term is to PLAY) the game or use software … nothing else …

2 Likes

Mark2K77 If I take the console and the game I have, to Rwanda or Tasmania and hide from the civilization and play the game normally, I’m pretty sure that the console and the game I have is something that I own. I can use the disc to have babies with it, to marry it or even piss it. It’s mine.
And yes, a lot of PS4 games do not require internet connection, therefore you don’t even have to use their services or to be connected to their network in order to play the game you’ve bought. Not sure about digital copies but I assume you can’t even press the play button on a digital copy of the game without the internet connection haha

As for PC games. We all know that you can’t play anything without being locked behind the DRM nonsense. Want Battlefield 1? Please throw $120 at us and as soon as our company dies, your game goes with us. wink

ButtStallion It is easier. But it’s also 400 bucks more expensive. Think about that :stuck_out_tongue:

Katsuo said in Costs: Console Vs. PC:

ButtStallion It is easier. But it’s also 400 bucks more expensive. Think about that :stuck_out_tongue:

More to my point is that the PC is $400 buck more, but over the lifespan off the console (before next gen & yes you don’t need to upgrade) which could be 7 years, it would be easy to spend more on a console. Only caveat here is that you pick up games for $10, so yet again my point falls over.

2 Likes

ShiftySatchmo said in Costs: Console Vs. PC:

Consoles are basically around in my house because of exclusives. Why EA thinks pc gamers don’t like NHL, nobody knows.

Tell me about it. I bought a PS4 just for NHL. It coming to PC would make me so happy.

1 Like