GPU suggestions: Nvidia gtx 1060 vs AMD RX580/480

Thinking of upgrading my 5yrs old AMD 6670HD GPU to something better, so need suggestions,
The most preferred and suggested cards are gtx1060 or AMD rx580/480.
Both card’s price is almost same in India 320 to 380 USD )
Another suggested one was AMD rx470/570.

Currently have 1080p screen, besides gaming, i do bit game recording/streaming, sometimes unity/udk Dev.
Will move onto 4k later but not this year.
Wont change/upgrade card easily as you can guess that from my current GPU which is 5yrs old (one time investment).

Confused as many people suggest Vulkan API and dx12 as concerns.

Have seen many benchmark site and youtube vids of these card’s comparison.
And any particular edition recommended by a particular manufacturer?

PS : Not a fangirl of any particular brand, fangirl of saving my money and getting the best of what i buy XD

As much as I love Nvidia cards, if you want a great mid range video card, I would go for a 480 or 580. Better with vulkan and dx12 and cheaper. A 6GB gtx 1060 is still more expensive (And the 3GB version is not very “future proofed”) than I hoped. I asked myself this question several times in the last weeks because one of my friend wants a new rig and he tasked me with the building.
The 480 prices are going down after the release of the 580. -5% performance but maybe -10-15% price.

3 Likes

ButtStallion here everything is overpriced XD 200 usd cards are like 350+ here

I’d go for gtx 1060. It’s better than Rx 480/580 and overclocks better.
P.s. 4gb Rx 480/580 is actually more expensive here than 6gb GTX 1060 xD

1 Like

Go for RX GPUs. More games will support Vulkan and the 480 is in most cases better than 1060. Or even better, go for RX 580. It’s a bit beefier version of 480 and costs about the same as 480. In the end, you won’t make a mistake whatever you pick haha. All of these GPUs are better than your current one haha

1 Like

For 1080p I have no complaints whatsoever from my rx480. Great card and handles all nicely. And in the end is better over all over the GTX 1060.

1 Like

8GB rx480. DO IT

1 Like

I would also recommend RX 480 - 8GB.

1 Like

Alternative GPU´s that are as powerful, are the R9 390 or the GTX970 … just saying :wink:

2 Likes

Price: AMD
Power consuption: Nvidia
Avarage fps: Depending on games, 50-50

1 Like

Personally, I’d Recommend a nice 8GB RX 480 and the reason why is simple. The one I have currently runs almost everything on Max settings at 1440P with near enough 60FPS, at least in all games I’ve played.

The 580 isn’t enough of a jump and also has a higher power draw from what I’ve seen and is generally a bit more expensive.

The 1060, while good can’t be used in dual card configurations, meaning when you go 4K, it’s likely not to be enough so will need to be completely replaced. The 480 also has 2GB more VRAM and can be Crossfired down the road. Hence in a year or two you can pick a 2nd one up cheaper than having to see your 1060 and buying a 3080 or whatever they are at the time :wink:

1 Like

thanks guys for the help and i bought the rx580.
will update in another post :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes