GTX 1060 6gb vs RX 480 8gb

Which is better? I see about a 4% difference according to GameDebate… Im looking at the XFX RX 480 8gb which has the hard swap ability… and the Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb Mini… both I found for the same price…

Things to consider, that are dependent on your situation:

Latest NVIDIA hardware still not showing major improvement in dx12 titles

GTX 1060 has no SLi ability so upgrade path = buy better gpu.

2 Likes

Sgt_T8ie Very true on the DX12 topic, not to mention I was just reading about the Async Direct Compute stuff… so its RX 480 - 1 … GTX 1060 - 0 so far

1 Like

I’m a fan of AMD since Nvidia has a history of being consumer unfriendly.

2 Likes

teh_g said in GTX 1060 6gb vs RX 480 8gb:

I’m a fan of AMD since Nvidia has a history of being consumer unfriendly.

I’m a fan of AMD since I’ve had good experiences with their products for years.

1 Like

Found a Gigabyte RX 480 G1 Gaming 4gb for less then $197 and its only 20 more dollars then the MSI RX 470 Gaming X I had found… So I guess you know which one im looking at getting… unless I want to send another (227) 30 or so and get the 8gb. However, for 207$ I found a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8gb and I have read you can overclock the 470 to pretty darn close to a 480…

Gorkie said in GTX 1060 6gb vs RX 480 8gb:

Found a Gigabyte RX 480 G1 Gaming 4gb for less then $197 and its only 20 more dollars then the MSI RX 470 Gaming X I had found… So I guess you know which one im looking at getting… unless I want to send another (227) 30 or so and get the 8gb. However, for 207$ I found a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 8gb and I have read you can overclock the 470 to pretty darn close to a 480…

But think of what you could over clock a 480 to! Personally I’d go with 8GB. It’s not that much more and a lot of games slurp 4GB up these days.

ShiftySatchmo Hmm you probally have a point there, I found a XFX RX 480 8gb with the hard swap ability for its fans for 226.

2 Likes

Gorkie said in GTX 1060 6gb vs RX 480 8gb:

ShiftySatchmo Hmm you probally have a point there, I found a XFX RX 480 8gb with the hard swap ability for its fans for 226.

Pull the trigger!

ShiftySatchmo Alright, Alright… End of Oct beggining of November if my money is right like I have planned ill get the 480 8gb

1 Like

Gorkie I apologise for the long post that follows: TLDR: get the RX 480 8GB!
Avoid the 470… I don’t believe you’re the target market - it’s geared at low end/mainstream, for MOBA & not so graphically intensive titles. From what I can remember of the games you like & want to play you should definitely be looking at the 480. Even if the 470 can OC to close to a 480 an aftermarket 480 will also OC further.

The primary benefit in the 1060 is the immediate power in DX11 games & the lower noise & heat. If you’re putting the 480 in a decently ventilated full case heat won’t be an issue, unless you intend to play with the case on the desktop next to you without headphones or the volume at a low level the noise won’t be a factor. My work PC is where I’ve just installed the Gigabyte 8GB RX 480 (reference version). It’s inside a BitFenix Shinobi case, which is roomy but doesn’t have the greatest ventilation (single exhaust, plenty of vents to draw air through, but no additional fans), it sits on the floor directly under my work desk, next to me & during gaming I can just hear it, but not in an obtrusive way. A decent custom cooler would be next to inaudible in my situation.

As for 4GB vs 8GB - get the 8GB, for various reasons 4GB is turning into the minimum required for 1080 gaming. This is a major upgrade for you & you should be going as far as you can. Note that you will then still have the XFire upgrade path if you get the opportunity to take it.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie Well the pc will be on the desk, ill have headphones and the pc im working on building will use the Enthoo Pro case.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie Of course, this case will have 6 140mm fans in it so it should get nice and cool lol

Sgt_T8ie we already convinced him!

1 Like

ShiftySatchmo But we’ve seen him waiver before! :slight_smile:

Thought I could help push him even further into committing!

Sgt_T8ie Not waivering at all, as long as my money is right im buying it… I have the whole build planned out starting with the GPU…
Anything on this list marked puchased I either already have or will be buying in the next 1-3 months so I didnt bother to add it to my starter information for Janurary. The only way this will change mobo/processor wise is if Zen should come out and be alot better.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/j2WHGf

1 Like

Gorkie hahahaha XD just winding you up…

You never know come January there maybe price drops on other cards & this discussion is moot. Hopefully what we’ve managed to do is set a reasonable bottom line for performance for you & you now keep an eye out for a card at the right price.

Just a few things with that parts list

• that XFX RX 480 is the reference design one - so has the reference cooler & does not have the replaceable fan system.

• I would reconsider that 240GB SSD - you already have a 120GB for your OS, so if you’re looking for an SSD for games/storage get a bigger one. I’m running a 480GB and after Skyrim & Witcher 3(without expansions) were installed I had used 25% of my storage… just as a mention from buyer’s remorse.

Sgt_T8ie Well thats not the accual one im getting I cant find the one on the pcpartpicker site for the one im looking at. The accuall one is

https://jet.com/product/XFX-Video-Card-RX-480P836BM-RX-480-8GB-GDDR5-PCI-Express-256Bit-HDM-I-3xDisplay-/9a14a6fcc6244a7b8f82360a7e385c51

1 Like

Alright I swaped out the 240… removed the Western Digital as I can always use my current 1tb instead as I placed on there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NNtMVY

And I found the correct RX 480 for the list.

1 Like

Gorkie I’m here to keep you honest, mate :wink: