Here's something to talk about

What about you? Are you leaving your PC on all the time? I sure do. I shut it down only if the weather is hilarious (electricity gets funky in here when it’s raining heavily).

I didn’t read the article. I shut nothing down.

1 Like

gord0 They just pointed out why is it good not to shut down the PC and vice versa. I just slapped the article so the thread looks nice. You know, picture and all xD

katsuo said in Here's something to talk about:

gord0 They just pointed out why is it good not to shut down the PC and vice versa. I just slapped the article so the thread looks nice. You know, picture and all xD

My power bill is built into my rent and therefor the same every month no matter how much power I use. So no need to shut anything down beyond a reboot. Otherwise, you’re wasting a lot of time booting up things every day. Yeah it may be seconds, but in the long run it’s hours if not days per year wasted. Even my ps4 only sleeps outside of system updates when it reboots or power outages that shut it down.

My PC just seems to run better if I turn it off every night so I do.

Great, let’s burn more fuel just because some people are lazy or dont care.
I dont get this. Even if your bill is the same, why do you have to waste?

2 Likes

I turn it off every time I’m done using because common sense in my mind is if something is running, it’s using up its life span.

2 Likes

buttstallion said in Here's something to talk about:

Great, let’s burn more fuel just because some people are lazy or dont care.
I dont get this. Even if your bill is the same, why do you have to waste?

Just don’t care. I’m fairly selfish. Being able to do what I need on any of my machines the instant I decide to do it, is what I’ve become accustomed to…which is quite beneficial in that my work is my play and vice versa. I also imagine my power usage evens out to what other people use anyway because I rarely use my oven in my kitchen. I rarely turn a light on. All monitors goto sleep after 10min. I only need to do laundry maybe once every 3 weeks. I may use less power than the average joe…also the not caring thing.

On another note, the power source for my region may not be running on “fuel”, though I haven’t bothered to google. When I was in southern ontario my power came from niagra falls. Dunno where it comes from here.

sir_diealot said in Here's something to talk about:

My PC just seems to run better if I turn it off every night so I do.

Reboots do the same thing…which I imagine my constant switching back and forth from linux to windows accomplishes for me.

syncrosis said in Here's something to talk about:

I turn it off every time I’m done using because common sense in my mind is if something is running, it’s using up its life span.

You’ll have upgraded before the lifespan is spent.

I shut it off every night most of the time for pretty much no reason. I mean it sleeps after 3 hours anyway. Habits and stuff. Maybe I don’t want my computer doing stuff it shouldn’t be doing after hours. You know how computers love to party.

At work, we have a policy to never shutdown or sleep them because of overnight patches and such. We just restart if there are issues.

1 Like

I turn it off. As ButtStallion and sYnCroSis mentioned: It’s common sense to shut it down. It doesn’t need to use power if I’m not using it. I don’t leave my TV and lights on while I’m sleeping so why should I leave computer.

2 Likes

shiftysatchmo said in Here's something to talk about:

I shut it off every night most of the time for pretty much no reason. I mean it sleeps after 3 hours anyway. Habits and stuff. Maybe I don’t want my computer doing stuff it shouldn’t be doing after hours. You know how computers love to party.

At work, we have a policy to never shutdown or sleep them because of overnight patches and such. We just restart if there are issues.

In regards to computers doing things on their own over night, I don’t worry because none of my devices are running Windows overnight.

1 Like

zmajuga said in Here's something to talk about:

I turn it off. As ButtStallion and sYnCroSis mentioned: It’s common sense to shut it down. It doesn’t need to use power if I’m not using it. I don’t leave my TV and lights on while I’m sleeping so why should I leave computer.

My tv (monitors) turn themselves off. I don’t turn on lights period unless I dropped something tiny. I imagine you have a power bill? In which case turning off pcs makes literal cents .

I put mine to sleep at night and shut it down if I won’t use it for more than a day.

2 Likes

gord0 Windows is awful about deciding to update and reboot all willy nilly. Wake up to madness.

gord0 I just don’t want to waste power for no reason, free or not. But not all of us have the same opinion regarding power consumption and that’s OK.

gord0 Windows is awful about deciding to update and reboot all willy nilly. Wake up to madness.

That legit never happened to me. Is my Windows broken?

1 Like

Which is exactly why all of my pcs are either in linux or osx before I goto bed :stuck_out_tongue: I’m more worried about microsoft than other threats.

1 Like

katsuo said in Here's something to talk about:

That legit never happened to me. Is my Windows broken?

Are you running 7, 8.1, or 10?