Here's something to talk about

gord0 Windows is awful about deciding to update and reboot all willy nilly. Wake up to madness.

gord0 I just don’t want to waste power for no reason, free or not. But not all of us have the same opinion regarding power consumption and that’s OK.

shiftysatchmo said in Here's something to talk about:

gord0 Windows is awful about deciding to update and reboot all willy nilly. Wake up to madness.

That legit never happened to me. Is my Windows broken?

1 Like

Which is exactly why all of my pcs are either in linux or osx before I goto bed :stuck_out_tongue: I’m more worried about microsoft than other threats.

1 Like

katsuo said in Here's something to talk about:

Are you running 7, 8.1, or 10?

gord0 said in Here's something to talk about:

Then you have the only 10 install that isn’t broken! XD

1 Like

When my son lived here, he rarely had any lights on, or anything else in his room, but his computers. He never shut them down, just let them go into sleep mode when he wasn’t using them.

When he moved out, my power bill went down by almost $70 per month.

People can say what they want, and believe what they read, but that is a fact that I witnessed.

As for my own computer, I personally shut it down if I’m not using it, for no other reason than what Zmajuga said. Its just habit, if I leave a room, I turn off things I’m not using.

gord0 permaybe’s

gord0 Yes I agree with that, but I also like to be respectful about the power, my electric, water and heat are all included in my rent and if my landlords were dicks I would not care but the truth of the matter is they are very good people that I respect immensely so I try not to cost them much money, that is why I pay them a little extra in the late spring through fall for air conditioning every month. Also why have all that wear and tear on my components?

sir_diealot said in Here's something to talk about:

gord0 Yes I agree with that, but I also like to be respectful about the power, my electric, water and heat are all included in my rent and if my landlords were dicks I would not care but the truth of the matter is they are very good people that I respect immensely so I try not to cost them much money, that is why I pay them a little extra in the late spring through fall for air conditioning every month. Also why have all that wear and tear on my components?

There really isn’t wear and tear if you have adequate cooling. They’re designed for constant use.

gord0 Anytime there is any kind of mechanical movement there is wear and tear.

So you’re worried about fans and mechanical hard drives? Two of the cheapest components?

teh_g said in Here's something to talk about:

I put mine to sleep at night and shut it down if I won’t use it for more than a day.

I do the same thing.

So you’re worried about fans and mechanical hard drives? Two of the cheapest components?

When you are disabled and low income you worry about it all. Not to mention if you are smart.

When you are disabled and low income you worry about it all. Not to mention if you are smart.

cpus and gpus thermal throttle when they’re too hot. They will also completely shut down the pc if it passes a certain threshold. Any data of importance resides in the cloud. I must be incredibly stupid with 11 fans and a mechanical storage drive… also, what does being disabled/abled have to do with fear/lack of fear of hardware failure?

gord0 I think he just means even cheap thinks are expensive when you are on low income. Just a guess anyway

1 Like

By the way Katsuo

1 Like

gord0 I think he just means even cheap thinks are expensive when you are on low income. Just a guess anyway

I see that point, but after thinking about it more. The fans endure more stress going from a stand still to target speed than they do while maintaining target speed. A computer that is turned on and off once or more a day puts more stress on the fans than a computer that stays on.

Another thing I just pondered but didn’t google…I would assume the temperature difference from on to off would cause expansion/contraction of the materials in the computer. The more frequently that happens, the weaker the components would become. One would think either keeping it on, or keeping it off would be two low effort ways ways of prolonging hardware life.

I just don’t see anything negative about keeping a computer on unless you pay a power bill. What I do see is time savings and smoother work flow.

1 Like

gord0 it’s interesting to think about it. I never really have. I just leave my PC on or I don’t and I don’t really pay attention to when or why. Thanks for making us think Katsuo you big jerk

3 Likes