Hmmm

Someone needs to punch Microsoft in the face.

1 Like

Can you title your topics with something useful so people who don’t care don’t click through? Thanks.

3 Likes

Microsoft makes some odd choices, but they are trying to make money. At least for now I am not running into problems :smiley:

If there are big changes in the future, I imagine something like SteamOS or any Linux platform will come up and take the main gamer market share. I’d probably switch over if it weren’t for games running much better on Windows.

interesting. I’m still running Windows 7 64 on my gaming rig, personally. still afraid to upgrade it.

1 Like

teh_g We need an operating system, where are free to choose the programms though. Otherwise 1984 becomes a reality instantly. Think Pokemon Go on OS level + Brainwashing :wink:

MeFFFlenn said in Hmmm:

teh_g We need an operating system, where are free to choose the programms though. Otherwise 1984 becomes a reality instantly. Think Pokemon Go on OS level + Brainwashing :wink:

The problem is, from a monetary standpoint, these companies have to make something marketable. They can’t release a bare bones OS and expect to make much money (if any). The subset of users that can / want to heavily choose what is installed on a system are probably a minority of the overall market.

I do suspect that Microsoft will have some other version of Windows with more granularity. It seems like a good opportunity for them to make more money…

teh_g Microsoft and others actually can do that by only selling to business companies only and make the rest free. That is getting you more this way around as the other way around.

Linux wouldn’t work. There are too few people who know how to install it, let alone use it.

MeFFFlenn said in Hmmm:

teh_g Microsoft and others actually can do that by only selling to business companies only and make the rest free. That is getting you more this way around as the other way around.

This is definitely an interesting time to be alive. Software as a service is the new norm these days. I suspect we will begin moving towards that model for most things and Microsoft has signaled that they are going that way too.

I would love to see a free Windows version. Maybe something with minimal extra features enabled. Then have “in app purchases” for some of the value add functionality.

Shit, I have been in a business focused role too long.

1 Like

teh_g Well Windows UWP is exactly that … But you can only buy apps from Microsoft, so through the backdoor you are getting a new monpole and loose your free decision. That backdoor monopole is what Sweeney and others criticize about Windows UWP (Universal Windows Plattform).

Polekatt said in Hmmm:

interesting. I’m still running Windows 7 64 on my gaming rig, personally. still afraid to upgrade it.

I’m also still on Win 7 too. Not touching Win 10. I don’t want anything to do with UWP/Win store. I will buy from Steam & GOG, reluctantly from Origin & UPlay, but never again from MS. I don’t trust them, based on previous gaming experience (on both PC & Xbox) they won’t get another cent of my sweet, sweet gaming moolah. Every word out of Phil Spencer’s mouth this year has proven that they have no interest in furthering the experience for gaming consumers and he would rather play word games than be honest and upfront.

I’m hoping Vulkan gains traction & support from devs and becomes a proper alternative to DX12. Unfortunately I see MS using its clout to make sure that DX12 is the only option.

When I build a new PC I realise I will have to go Win 10, but until then there will be no upgrade for me.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie said in Hmmm:

Polekatt said in Hmmm:

I’m also still on Win 7 too. Not touching Win 10. I don’t want anything to do with UWP/Win store. I will buy from Steam & GOG, reluctantly from Origin & UPlay, but never again from MS. I don’t trust them, based on previous gaming experience (on both PC & Xbox) they won’t get another cent of my sweet, sweet gaming moolah. Every word out of Phil Spencer’s mouth this year has proven that they have no interest in furthering the experience for gaming consumers and he would rather play word games than be honest and upfront.

I’m hoping Vulkan gains traction & support from devs and becomes a proper alternative to DX12. Unfortunately I see MS using its clout to make sure that DX12 is the only option.

When I build a new PC I realise I will have to go Win 10, but until then there will be no upgrade for me.

You’ll miss out on a lot of games and performance. DX11 will be dropped eventually and not all games will use Vulcan (mantle).

1 Like

gord0 Yep - it’ll be a forced upgrade at some point, I figure though it’s likely to be at the point I have to build a new PC rather than my current one, having battled 2 upgrades here at work, that needed to be rolled back to allow the continuation of productivity, I have a very sour taste in my mouth over the Win10 upgrade scheme. So far there’s no games destined for DX12 exclusively that interest me. I’ll stick with my Win 7 for as long as I can. I don’t like the idea of monopolies and if we all flock towards the all glorious Win10 then we’re just letting MS get away with whatever they want…

It may sound foolish, but this is my hill that I’ve decided to die on.