Latest AMD drivers

gord0 said in Latest AMD drivers:

Amendment: the steam overlay stopped working with some games, not all.

Weird. I can’t get the ReLive overlay to show up for me. Something must be stealing hotkeys.

teh_g said in Latest AMD drivers:

Amendment: the steam overlay stopped working with some games, not all.

Weird. I can’t get the ReLive overlay to show up for me. Something must be stealing hotkeys.

I didn’t even try it. I just made sure it was turned off in the control center.

I’m pissing myself laughing over this driver. With my RX 480 I had a cursor corruption on one of my 2 screens that the only work around I had found was to launch the windows magnifier function. Well about a month ago the cursor corruption magically cleared itself. And I see that the latest driver states that they fixed the cursor corruption issue.

Well I’ve updated to the latest drivers & guess what - the corruption is back! Not major as I was working around it, but it’s funny seeing how the issue was supposedly fixed.

Additionally I went ahead & ran some benchmarks here on my work PC to see if there were any improvements over the older drivers & I’d say they’re there, but minimal - but I’m likely to be bottlenecked on my CPU (FX-4100 AM3+), so I’m planning on swapping the RX 480 out for either a GTX 950 or an HD 7950 & seeing how it runs with an i7 4770 at home.

Another one just came out. A bunch of fixes, mostly ReLive stuff. Also Dota 2 and Battlfield One stuff.

3 Likes

Another one just came out. A bunch of fixes, mostly ReLive stuff. Also Dota 2 and Battlfield One stuff.

ReLive works very well for me on this latest update. Really enjoy it! I uninstalled Action.

3 Likes

And the first january drivers are available!

Fixes for Dishonored 2 and Paragon

There’s a bunch more fixes listed in release notes linked in original post ^

Unless someone tells me otherwise, AMD’s new term for “beta” is “optional”. It used to be “hotfix”. So I have listed this on as beta.

1 Like

Unless someone tells me otherwise, AMD’s new term for “beta” is “optional”. It used to be “hotfix”. So I have listed this on as beta.

I think this a better swap in terminology. As far as I know Beta drivers still exist & the “optional”/“hotfix” ones are primarily to combat the “AMD drivers suck” mentality that still persists. This allows them to update regularly for new games & bugs without overhauling everything. In my opinion they’re doing it the right way. A full driver overhaul (like they did for ReLive) should be major & infrequent.

Also naming it “optional” is a step up from the competition whose driver updates are constant & in your face. I got rid of GeForce Experience for that, amongst other reasons. Happy to simply look through driver updates when I need to as opposed to being bashed about the face with requests every time I start the PC.

Sgt_T8ie said in Latest AMD drivers:

I think this a better swap in terminology. As far as I know Beta drivers still exist & the “optional”/“hotfix” ones are primarily to combat the “AMD drivers suck” mentality that still persists. This allows them to update regularly for new games & bugs without overhauling everything. In my opinion they’re doing it the right way. A full driver overhaul (like they did for ReLive) should be major & infrequent.

Also naming it “optional” is a step up from the competition whose driver updates are constant & in your face. I got rid of GeForce Experience for that, amongst other reasons. Happy to simply look through driver updates when I need to as opposed to being bashed about the face with requests every time I start the PC.

They didn’t change anything in how they develop drivers. They just call “beta” “optional” now. There’s no “overhaul” when they make “official” drivers. It’s all incremental. “Official” just means they beta tested it enough that they feel safe in calling it “official”.

1 Like

gord0 good to know, Thanks.

Sorta like how game stores now call “used” games “recycled” games. It just sounds nicer, but means the same.

1 Like

gord0 Yeah - I just thought the Beta’s still existed & the they changed the name of hotfix, because you “fix” something that is broken :slight_smile: hotfixes used to be game dependent, so you could choose not to implement? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

gord0 Yeah - I just thought the Beta’s still existed & the they changed the name of hotfix, because you “fix” something that is broken :slight_smile: hotfixes used to be game dependent, so you could choose not to implement? Or am I remembering incorrectly?

At one point they had both “betas” and “hotfixes”, then they stopped using the term “beta”. Either way in any piece of software something is always “broken”, and all updates are “fixes”. Either way they’re both betas as they won’t call them “official”.

1 Like

You’ll also notice when then newest driver is “official”, they don’t list a “beta/hotfix/optional” on their page.

1 Like

What’s the program called to remove old drivers? I know I have it on my computer but don’t recall the name of it. Thank you and downloading now.

Sir_diealot said in Latest AMD drivers:

What’s the program called to remove old drivers? I know I have it on my computer but don’t recall the name of it. Thank you and downloading now.

DDU = Display Driver Uninstaller. I get mine via Guru3D

1 Like

Display Driver Uninstaller

That’s it, thanks.

1 Like

I noticed the AMD installer now has a “clean install” option. I haven’t tried it, but it might do the trick as well.

2 Likes

New one! Fixes for Conan Exiles Beta, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta, Diablo III, FIFA 17, Watch_Dogs 2, Paragon, and Forza Horizon 3. Also a handful of other general fixes. See release notes ^

2 Likes

Latest has improvements for For Honor, Sniper Elite 4, CSGO, DayZ, Civ VI, and GRID Autosport. See release notes for more info ^

2 Likes

gord0 Thanks for letting us know!

1 Like