Latest Steam Client lets you move game folders

I just tried it with The Witcher 3 and moved the library on my gaming ssd. Works like a charm.

About time. You used to have to use a third party tool to do that…

Much needed with the size of some games vs connections people have. I could’ve used this a couple months ago haha. rFactor 2 wouldn’t launch with the way I had my backup folders named, so I ended up anal retentively reorganizing and renaming a bunch of folders on all my drives and I moved like 4 BIGGGG games manually to a different drive and it took like 4 integrity checks before everything was on the up and up. But it did work!

sweet! yup, I agree, this is a very useful thing, I have needed to do this before, and didn’t because it was so complicated. Much better than deleting and reinstalling.

1 Like

hmm interesting feature …
But what is bothering me whether game will work after clean windows re-installation (if I moved game before)?

So far i noticed that only few games will make problems mostly game which use the “%USERPROFILE%\Documents\ or %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games” folders (example Wolfenstein NO, Mad Max,) for storing setting. So what ever you do with those games, they must be reinstalled on fresh OS. Because simply they do not work if you try to copy save and settings …

I rarely re-install game after OS re-installation or even bother with damn steam backup before … Usually what I do; is that I copy : “%Program Files (x86)%\Steam\userdata\user_ID\specific game folder” and restore that settings after re-installation of OS … and most of steam games have no problem with that

Another question is how fast steam app is moving those files … for example 50 GB game … is it same speed as Windows explorer (slower or faster)? … and does steam app make some changes in partition structure? … I would like to know if anyone noticed …