Lifeless Planet

Well this is my next game. It’s a little rough around the edges but I can tell it’s well optimized. So far it’s a scifi walking sim with a little platforming. Could turn out to be more than that. Interesting enough to keep playing.

Runs like crap in Ubuntu 16.04, runs smooth as a baby’s ass in Windows at 1440p60 in Crossfire mode with max settings…not that it’s incredibly demanding.

Will post more when I beat it!

This one is one of the bigger sour spots for me. Was one of those I got drawn into the idea and I followed through development and all that jazz. Was 100% disappointed with the end product it in every way. I know I’m bias and scorned though. So can’t exactly judge it fairly. :stuck_out_tongue:

schlitty said in Lifeless Planet:

This one is one of the bigger sour spots for me. Was one of those I got drawn into the idea and I followed through development and all that jazz. Was 100% disappointed with the end product it in every way. I know I’m bias and scorned though. So can’t exactly judge it fairly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Moral of the story: Don’t give a fuck about games until official release. No matter how good or how shitty that game is, it’s always worse if you played before launch.

This game does have rough edges but I still like it. Because the story is good and I feel empathetic to the devs. As someone who’s been working day in and day out with Unity for at least 7 years, I can see a lot of the “why” in why things are how they are. I can see where they say “fuck it! Because unity!”, I can also see where they’ve done some brilliant workarounds only a dev could see.

I also see that these devs truly love games because as I play I can pretty much point out which other game inspired each functionality or level design element, or game mechanic. Another reason for my empathy is that a lot of the problems were problems with the engine itself…and most have been patched… unfortunately after they finished the game lol. Unity really is getting good, I’m actually quite excited as the latest ver introduced Vulkan for all platforms (the platforms people care about anyway).

I think I’m close to the end of the game, will post more when I beat it!

For sure. It was one of the very early Kickstarter games, but at the same time was under the radar compared to a lot of others too. Ultimately, engine limits or otherwise, I feel the guy came up extremely short. Main fault in my eyes was that story. For being an atmospheric game I felt like the story never actually evolved into one. It just stayed an idea for a story. So with that missing the gameplay has to face harsher scrutiny and again, engine limits or otherwise… Yeah.

Hes making a sequel though!!! :wink:

For sure. It was one of the very early Kickstarter games, but at the same time was under the radar compared to a lot of others too. Ultimately, engine limits or otherwise, I feel the guy came up extremely short. Main fault in my eyes was that story. For being an atmospheric game I felt like the story never actually evolved into one. It just stayed an idea for a story. So with that missing the gameplay has to face harsher scrutiny and again, engine limits or otherwise… Yeah.

Hes making a sequel though!!! :wink:

I see it for what it is, a walking sim that we should be happy that at least it’s not an asset flip. Why hold it to a brighter light lol.

Because the creator himself did. I’m not comparing apples and oranges here. I’m judging it on it’s own.

Edit: Like I said, that’s just the way the cookie crumbled for my subjective personal experience of the game. Interesting to hear you have another perspective and cool you’re finding some thrills. Just happened to be “one of those” on my list and my 2cents fumbled out of my pockets compulsively. :wink:

Because the creator himself did. I’m not comparing apples and oranges here. I’m judging it on it’s own.

Edit: Like I said, that’s just the way the cookie crumbled for my subjective personal experience of the game. Interesting to hear you have another perspective and cool you’re finding some thrills. Just happened to be “one of those” on my list and my 2cents fumbled out of my pockets compulsively. :wink:

I’m probably just lucky my situation allows me to enjoy it.

Well just beat it… I’m going to say this game is a dress rehearsal for what it was supposed to be. I liked it, but for uncommon reasons as described in earlier posts in this thread. Would be hard for me to recommend it.