Monitor or GPU?

I am looking to get both by the end of the year and was wondering which I should get first. These are what I am looking at.

Now here is the predicament, my current card is a XFX-R9-290X but the monitor is a G-Sync monitor as the GPU I am after is a G-Sync card. Will the AMD card in anyway hurt the monitor? Can the G-Sync be turned off? I am open to another monitor but want one that size with G-Sync 3-D does not matter as I can’t see it anyway due to eye problems.

Also I am somewhat tied in to getting the GPU as this one is owned by somebody else, they tell me no hurry but I feel guilty and want to get them the card as they bought it last year. (That is how I bought the racing setup) You may remember that I gave my old APU computer that I won to my friend that has been through a lot with cancer and I want to get him this card. It is looking like Sept. will be my order date no matter which way I go and then again by Dec. or Jan for the monitor. My current monitor is this. DELL E207WFP

http://www1.la.dell.com/la/en/corp/peripherals/monitor_e207wfp/pd.aspx?refid=monitor_e207wfp&s=corp

The gsync requires an nvidia gpu, so it can’t be utilized without one. Your amd card won’t hurt it. It shouldn’t make a diff what order you buy the parts in. What are you more excited about? 1440p (monitor) or higher graphics settings/framerates (gpu)?

1 Like

gord0 Thanks for the reply, at this time graphics settings/frame rates though I am unsure the monitor I have can really show the difference.

Oh it is also hooked to my TV which is this.

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E701i-A3-70-inch-1080p-Razor/dp/B009SJNTIY

If you are waiting until the end of the year, I wouldn’t pick a GPU now. The one you linked will either come down in price or new ones will be out.

1 Like

Wait if the GPU is for a friend why does gsync matter? Or do you mean he gets your current GPU?

1 Like

Sir_diealot said in Monitor or GPU?:

Oh it is also hooked to my TV which is this.

Amazon.com

Ouch, 1080p on 70inch display

1 Like

teh_g said in Monitor or GPU?:

If you are waiting until the end of the year, I wouldn’t pick a GPU now. The one you linked will either come down in price or new ones will be out.

I really want to get my friend the card that I have now.

ShiftySatchmo said in Monitor or GPU?:

Wait if the GPU is for a friend why does gsync matter? Or do you mean he gets your current GPU?

My current card my 290x goes to my friend, the new one to me.

1 Like

gord0 I run 1920 x whatever it is I don’t recall.

gord0 I run 1920 x whatever it is I don’t recall.

1920x1080==1080p, the vertical dimension is the only number used when describing progressive scan p or interlaced i.

Both 2560x1440 and 3440x1440 are 1440p, one is 16:9 the other is ultra wide.

I hope it’s not too close to you. That’s a lot of inches to stretch 1080p across.

gord0 10 to 12 feet I guess.

gord0 10 to 12 feet I guess.

Ah, that’s not so bad then.