new pc shutting off - advice?

Maybe you have a bad RAM stick? Did you try each RAM stick individually? Did you try the secondary slots to see if it’s the slots?

I was almost sure of that until today. I had been taking out the second stick in slot B2, and each time I did that it ran fine on the first stick which was in A2. Today is the first time its done this with that one stick in A2.

According to the manual, you have to put it in the correct slots. Like if I just run one stick, it has to go in slot A2.

At the moment, its been sitting idle in safe mode for about 2-3 hours, since I posted last, and has not cut off.

I’m debating on whether or not to just reinstall Windows. Its worth a try. But there was one time when it shut off just sitting in Bios, and Thursday night when it would not power on at all. Those two things seem to point away from it being a windows driver.

Its so frustrating because its intermittent and random. For every thing you think may be pointing to something, there seems to be one thing that points away from that being the problem.

Yeah, maybe it is a wonky PSU after all.

A couple weekends ago I went out and bought a brand new PSU and tried it. The problem was actually worse with the new PSU. So I don’t think that would be the cause, hard to believe I got two bad PSUs.

I ran memtest from the BIOS and the memory passed all tests.

Just formatted and reinstalled Windows. Wish me luck.

Question-

I’m bound and determined to not install Armory Crate or ASUS crap.

However, I just realized that I do not have a wired network connection. So I guess I do need at least some stuff? I thought Windows had a generic driver for that, guess not.

So what are the bare minimum drivers I need to get?

You mean for wifi? I believe Windows has supported WiFi out of the box since like 7. But if your board has wifi you might need a driver or BIOS update for Windows to recognize it

No, for the wired connection, the hard port built into the board.

The Wifi is what it defaulted to and is working, but I want to use my wired connection, as it would probably be faster and more reliable.

Looks like I need to at the very least download and install the ASUS LAN drivers for my board. I’m wondering what else I absolutely need, like chipset drivers? I would not think I would need audio drivers since I use a USB Headset only.

Moving back to this original thread.

Update-

fingers crossed.

Micro Center switched out my CPU and motherboard for no cost. I’ve become a huge fan of this store, this has been the best customer service I’ve ever experienced from a big computer store.

So anyway, I stayed with the same CPU, an Intel 13600K, but switch brands on the motherboard. Now running an ASRock Taichi Z790.

Rebuilt it this weekend, got the BIOS up to date, got windows installed, and went through the process of moving my windows key to a new motherboard last night. You have to call them to get that switched since it ties the key to mobo hardware now. The hardest part was getting to a live agent. Once I got to talking to a real person, it was a breeze.

hoping for the best now.

2 Likes

I am so jealous you have Microcenter nearby. I’ve only heard amazing things.

1 Like

Fingers still crossed, so far everything is still going fine.

Installed and ran SCUM, which is probably the most cpu/gpu intensive game I have at the moment. Bumped fallout to ultra, and the GPU just laughed and said give me something more than that.

But the other combination did shut off during fallout only on high.

So still hoping for the best. remember, the other combination did not start having problems until it ran for three weeks. fingers still crossed!

3 Likes

Love to see it.

1 Like

I think your GPU is having issues since it was laughing.

1 Like

PSU doesn’t happen to be a Cooler Master does it? I have had the same problem with mine since I built it several years ago, sometimes it will shut off 3 or 4 times a day.

No, the PSU is a MSI MPG PCIe 5.0 1000w.
Mine has ran fine since I changed out the motherboard to the ASRock one.

@Sir-diealot what is the wattage of your PSU and what video card do you have?