NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse

only thing I’d want would be to keep all our original posts, as has been mentioned.

Otherwise, move forward!

I am ok with this if you spend that $50 a month on me instead

I know I’d personally pick the more frugal option!

And so, I’d certainly put up with any changes you make.

We trust in teh g.

All hail me!

So a converter doesn’t exist. The first quote I got from a guy that does migrations was $1000…

Suffice to say, I’ll poke around with making the migration script myself, but I’ve never written Ruby code and I’ve never worked with redis (the database for NodeBB), so it might be a while :smiley:

1 Like

teh_g said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

All hail me!

So a converter doesn’t exist. The first quote I got from a guy that does migrations was $1000…

Suffice to say, I’ll poke around with making the migration script myself, but I’ve never written Ruby code and I’ve never worked with redis (the database for NodeBB), so it might be a while :smiley:

How about you google what forum types you can convert the nodebb to. Then find out if any of those formats can be converted to Discourse. That way you can just convert twice.

gord0 A double conversion, I like it. I’ll see what I can do.

I did make a post on the Discourse “marketplace” seeing if anyone would make the script for a small fee. I figure if it saves me money long run I don’t mind fronting for it.

gord0 A double conversion, I like it. I’ll see what I can do.

I did make a post on the Discourse “marketplace” seeing if anyone would make the script for a small fee. I figure if it saves me money long run I don’t mind fronting for it.

I get asked to do things every day that I’ve never done before as well as things no one has ever done. As well as not being given the tools/permissions to do so. So I’m used to thinking like that lol

I know You can import PhpBB to NodeBB but don’t know if you can reverse. You can also import PhpBB to Discourse so maybe along the right lines.

Also, I can offer hosting if it helps out at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

teh_g :backhand_index_pointing_right_medium-light_skin_tone: LetsGetIt1220 hosting is nice and smooth :slight_smile: I know personally. He has also been a rockstar to getting me started in the right direction on my first wordpress adventure

letsgetit1220 said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

I know You can import PhpBB to NodeBB but don’t know if you can reverse. You can also import PhpBB to Discourse so maybe along the right lines.

Also, I can offer hosting if it helps out at all :slight_smile:

I think NodeBB isn’t quite big enough to have import tools. It is also a bit tougher since I am using their “old” recommended database (Redis) instead of Mongo.

I’ve been pretty lazy with hosting and just using a DigitalOcean droplet, Cloudflare, and some spitshine. Discource is a bit easier on that front since it runs in a Docker container. Install is dead simple.

teh_g Nothing like a good Droplet man! Don’t tell anyone but the relaunch of Enos Tech was on a droplet until it couldn’t handle the traffic and I got tired of using it lol :wink:

letsgetit1220 said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

teh_g Nothing like a good Droplet man! Don’t tell anyone but the relaunch of Enos Tech was on a droplet until it couldn’t handle the traffic and I got tired of using it lol :wink:

Yeah, if we ever had a lot more traffic I’d probably need to look elsewhere. I’d also need to ask for donations to pay for things :smiley:

I’ve learned enough about the data structure in NodeBB to think of making an importer, but I don’t know enough Ruby to make an importer. I’m slowly making progress.

Good news, the folks at Discourse were willing to pitch in to pay someone to make the transfer script. Looks like we’ll have something soonish.

1 Like

Good news, the folks at Discourse were willing to pitch in to pay someone to make the transfer script. Looks like we’ll have something soonish.

While you wait, be sure to browse the available themes and pick the darkest one as the default! : ]

1 Like

gord0 You’ll appreciate this; I can import themes and all of them are user selectable. Basically any CSS can be added by an admin and made into a user selectable theme :slight_smile:

gord0 You’ll appreciate this; I can import themes and all of them are user selectable. Basically any CSS can be added by an admin and made into a user selectable theme :slight_smile:

Ahh. But also make it default so that’s what people who aren’t logged in see.

1 Like

Quick update, work is continuing on an import script. The guy writing it thinks he will have something by next week. I’ll probably do the migration a bit after that since my mom is coming into town next week.

I’ve been poking around in the Discourse Meta community and it is pretty hoppin, so I expect to see a lot less for issues and a lot more response for fixes and improvements.

Also, I smell a VIP program coming. I’ll call it “Kratos”, it will give you a special badge and make axes fly around on your screen when you post.

3 Likes

Also, I smell a VIP program coming. I’ll call it “Kratos”, it will give you a special badge and make axes fly around on your screen when you post.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-patreon-integration/44366

Discourse Patreon Integration…Boy

1 Like