Polekatt's Playground

I’m terrible at completing games, for the following reasons-

I play casually. I play what is fun, what I’m in the mood for at the moment. I do not play to complete the game.

So I thought I might try a new thread. I will still list games I complete, but I want to concentrate more on what I’m actively playing, and why, and hopefully try to keep that this to date.

Active Games and thoughts

Elder Scrolls Online-
This is my new favorite game. Hooked on this one. I play it every 2-3 nights if I can for several hours at a time. As a fan of Elder Scrolls and roleplaying and single player story games, this hits every single one. Now technically it is an MMO, but I don’t play it like that. The game is amazing with its world, the stories it tells, and the fact that the world actually changes based on choices you make. I’ve never played an MMO that pulls this off. The graphics, music, and content and things available to do are all exactly what I want.
*Actually have subscribed to this game now, its so good.

PGA Tour 2K21 -
I play this almost every day. Its the best golf game out there. Totally different concept than the tried and true hit the space bar to start your backswing then hit it again to hit the ball. You use the controller stick to do your swing and its very realistic as far as the feel. You have to really concentrate on swinging straight, and your tempo, and it matches mentally with how you would really swing a golf club. Very hard to master.
I play on a 3rd party website that parses the API from the game to host tournaments every week, to mimic being in the PGA. There are divisions for all skill levels. I hate repetitive practice, so I am near the bottom. But its cool, I get to play a different course each week, I play against other people all over the world and try to make the cut and see where I place and how much money I would earn.
I also play in another league that is very interesting where it uses golf rules, but we mimic the NFL schedule.
Between these two leagues, I play two games a day, one to warmup, and one to play one official game. Any more than that and I get bored. A round takes about 30 minutes and truly I only have to play 5 rounds a week, whenever I feel like it.
Another cool thing is these course designers use LIDAR satellite technology now, so if you play a real course, that says (L) or Lidar in the name, you are playing the actual REAL terrain, every bump and hill, directly parsed from satellite data.

*All that said, I gave this game a bad review on Steam. As good as this game is, the developers are complete idiots. They have no idea how to communicate with their users, and have started making behind the scenes changes to the mechanics without telling anyone, or posting patch notes. You just don’t do that on a game that people are using for competition every week. Thats what test servers are for.

Magic The Gathering: Arena -
I play this several times a week. I absolutely love Magic The Gathering card game, but due to life circumstances, I can no longer play the physical version. This version is exactly what I want. The game plays perfectly, I can jump in at any time and make decks or play games. Games last from 10-30 minutes. I usually just play casual single games, or occasionally play my other favorite format, booster draft. Basically I play when bored and/or don’t have time to get into other games. I have spent ZERO dollars on this game. Its way too easy to get cards and packs just by playing. I don’t have any goal when playing this other than the fun of building decks and/or beating the snot out of who I’m currently playing.

Fortnite -
Still play this one about twice a week. Its just fun to me. Same as M:tg, its just fun to get in and play but usually play this one with friends, just hanging out, laughing and cutting up more than anything. Might play this for 2-3 hour session, but its more about the social aspect than the game.

Table Top Simulator
I’ve started playing this one several times a week now. This is a great way to play board games with my friends, without having to travel an hour to each other’s house, and we can save the game if it gets too late and pick it back up the next night.

Not really active but may play at any time games

Cyberpunk 2077 - probably will start this one back soon as time permits
Wasteland 2 - need to finish this one just to see the story. played it a lot, but it just fell victim to no time.
Die Young - see above.
Divinity Original Sin - See above again. Actually refuse to buy Divinity II until I finish this one and Cyberpunk
Planet Zoo - LOVE this game but no time left to play after the active ones
PUBG - love hate relationship with this game. Love the concepts, but hate the company and their tactics. may hop in and play at times though.
SCUM - waiting on this game to get patched to a point I like
Forza 4 - I love racing games and play occasionally when in the mood

Games on radar, after released
Humankind - owned now, review incoming
Hot Wheels
Forza 5

Completed games, as I complete or remember them
Operation Tango
Bioshock Infinite
Elder Scrolls 1,2,3,4,5
Witcher 1,2,3
GTAV story
Red Dead 2 story
Fallout 3, 4, NV
Far Cry 1, 3, 5
Control
Xcom
Betrayer
Call of Jaurez
Firewatch
Wolf Amoung Us
Enola
Gone Home
Hard West
Life is Strange
Strange Brigade
The Park
Saints Row 3
Tomb Raider
Wolfenstien New Order

MMO’s I’ve played enough to consider 'complete’
(Basically games that can go on and on, but I’ve got at least one character to max level, and played for a year or more, and I have stopped playing now, so I consider it complete)
EQ 1,2
Horizons
Dark age of Camelot
World of Warcraft
City of Heroes
Conan Exiles

4 Likes

Good luck trying to beat Everquest. I loved the games back when WoW wasn’t a thing. Graphically, the games look more than outdated sadly. They also never fixed the UI which is really, really bad. I feel like Everquest could’ve been waaaaaaaay better than WoW if the UI wasn’t absolute salad.

Here’s an MMO to consider playing if the wuxia theme is your thing. Its story is based on the popular Chinese TV show Gujian and the gameplay from the Gujian games were basically copied into this. It doesn’t have any pay2win garbage. The game is insanely popular in China.

1 Like

Oh in my mind I “completed” Everquest. I edited the description of that category to denote what I consider completing an MMO style game is. :slight_smile: I plan for this topic to be updated as I change out what I complete or am actively playing. Its my attempt ya’lls completed game topics, just with active ones added in. :wink:

oh and thanks for that heads up on swords of legends, I’ll check that out!

1 Like

I do it usually this way: my way. I always like to see what I finished in a year and compare it how many games I finished last year. It’s kinda fun haha

It’s kinda sad that the MMOs aren’t getting more popular. I can only blame the devs for implementing these pay to win microtransactions in their games (im looking at you Archeage).

I hope this will change with Sword of Legends Online. They actually started doing livestreams on Steam to show what the game has and to show that the only thing you can actually spend your money on are cosmetics with no stat change.

The only problem is that they are all Germans on livestream and they have that weird English haha

1 Like

Summer '21 update-

Moved Forza 4 to inactive but play occasionally section

Added Table top Simulator to active games. This is a Great game/gaming tool. Love it!

Added Hot Wheels and Forza 5 to games I’m looking forward to next quarter

2 Likes

Played and finished Operation Tango this evening, with Scavenger.

Its not a long game, as we played the whole thing in one Sunday evening. took us around 4-5 hours.

We both loved it. Both of us agreed that it was worth every penny.

This is a co-op game where you don’t see each other’s screens, and you have to communicate and talk each other through their part of the game. It is made for two people to play.

One person plays the spy/secret agent, and the other person plays the hacker, which is overwatch, or whatever you want to call the person monitoring them out in the van, or back at headquarters. The spy is first person view, and the hacker has views of computer screen type stuff, like maps, surveillance cams, etc. The hacker has to constantly tell the spy where to go, what to do, stuff like that, while the spy has to constantly tell the hacker what they are seeing. It really gave us the feeling of these tv shows and movies you watch where people are doing that. great fun, for two friends to play.

2 Likes

That sounds like a interesting concept. I might have to check that game out.