Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams

Looks like we are starting to get just enough interest in a Rocket League Tournament to do something. So here is the first item I would like to know you guys’ opinion. This will just apply to this first tournament, just something to get us started.

Would you rather the tournament be as individuals? or would you rather have fixed teams all the way through?

Here are the constants that I have come up with, that will apply to the tournament, regardless of the rest of the decisions-

It will be up to the individuals that are playing each other in each event to set a time during the week that is good for them. I’m not going to schedule a time, I’ll just set the matches, and it will be up to the people playing each other to come up with a time that everyone can make. Matches will be best 3 out of 5 games. RL games only take 5 minutes, so this allows for a bad game, while still giving you enough time to have a little fun, but shouldn’t take over 30 minutes if time is a factor for someone. Reporting the win, will be on the honor system. Recording the match is welcome, but not required, we all should be able to trust each other.

Now, here are the differences-

Individuals-
Every person competes against every one else. Each week, 2 or 3 person teams will be chosen at random, from all individuals, and these teams will be told to play each other. Minimum amount of confirmed players required for this is 12. (we are almost there) That would make 4 teams of 3 each week, or 6 teams of 2. Teams play each other, and if you are on a winning team, you get one point. The next week, teams are again formed with different people playing together on different teams. So you individually get a point each time you help a team win, but it will be a different team each week. At the end of a set period of time, preferably when everyone has had a chance to play with everyone else, the top person is named individual champion, and we have a championship game where players ranked 1,3, and 5 play players ranked 2,4, and 6.

Fixed Teams-
With this option I say we need minimum of 18 committed people. That would make six teams of three. Less than that just doesn’t make sense to me, it would be a really short tournament. The teams would be fixed, staying the same 3 people all the way through. People could form teams as they want, and then whoever is left over, I will assign to be on teams together. Each week, teams will be matched against another team. Play runs for a set amount of weeks, and at the end, the two top teams with the best two records play for the championship.

So cast your vote, this poll will be active for a week, and see what most people want, and if we get any more interest

I do like the idea of individuals. It sounds kind of exciting to not know how your teammates will play until you’re already mid match. Makes it more interesting to me.

2 Likes

BoilingBeanz Because you surprise us?! XD

MeFFFlenn Lol, I’m just saying that it’s a team game. Gotta know how your teammates play and adjust accordingly. Yes, sometimes, when luck is on the right side, one person can carry a team. Most times, that’s not the case. It’s interesting to me to see how random lineups do as a team.

BoilingBeanz I’d only be ok with random teams if I find out a week ahead of time and have the option to no show if my team sucks XD

can i join too?

Tsok said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

can i join too?

of course! all are welcome!

ShiftySatchmo Laaaaaaaaame!

1 Like

BoilingBeanz said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

I need to quit if you’re on my team, for example. MyLifeForAiur says you suck

1 Like

ShiftySatchmo Well, he wouldn’t be wrong. But he wouldn’t be right either.

ShiftySatchmo said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

BoilingBeanz said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

I’ve never lost with Beanz on my team and we have all seen how shit I am!

1 Like

MyLifeForAiur said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

ShiftySatchmo said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

Nobody can be THAT good XD

MyLifeForAiur said in Rocket League Tournament Poll - Individual vs. Fixed teams:

Nobody can be THAT good XD

I’m here playing Rocket League, he on a dolphin doing flips and shit. I don’t even know what’s going on when playing with him.

Is 2v2 considered “not fun” in Rocket League?

schlitty I personally like all the different ones. 3v3 just seems the most preferred, so thats the one I was going to use here, for the first tournament. Its pretty wild how each different mode takes and entirely different strategy. If I had to pick my least favorite though, it would be 4v4. It just seems way too chaotic, it would be built more I think for teams that have played together enough to not get in each others way.

Polekatt Well 2v2 would deepen the team field without having to pray 18 people sign up (and then actually show up). Think it would be more realistic. But I understand if people don’t like 2v2 or whatever. I know 3v3 is considered standard. I just don’t see 18 people happening.

schlitty
True. Thats the next poll, if fixed teams win. :wink:

1 Like