Soul Axiom

This is my next new game! Runs almost perfect in Ubuntu 16.04lts at ultra settings, at 1440p… jumps between 40 and 60fps. Runs at a constant 60 in windows with the same settings plus crossfire…so yeah, play in windows XD.

I don’t want to say much because the game is about discovery but is also an fps adventure puzzle game. Totally recommended!

gord0 So… how hard is it to make Windows Games run on Ubuntu? I have played around with Ubuntu in a VBox but never bothered outside of that…

Gorkie said in Soul Axiom:

gord0 So… how hard is it to make Windows Games run on Ubuntu? I have played around with Ubuntu in a VBox but never bothered outside of that…

You don’t unless you like Ubisoft’s version of “Cinematic” or WB Games’ version of “finished”. Wine can run some windows apps but I wouldn’t dare try games. A virtual box is probably just as bad because it can’t tell what kind of video card you have in order to install drivers. I currently dual boot Ubuntu 16.04lts and Windows 10 on my game capable pcs.

The games I play in linux have linux builds. In steam, when you see the symbols for compatible operating systems the steam os symbol means linux. Steam OS is based on Debian and so is Ubuntu.

So basically I install on linux, if it runs good, keep playing. If it runs shit, try windows. If still shit, return.

What happened with Forward to the Sky?

Katsuo said in Soul Axiom:

Just a shitily made game. Shity framerate no matter the OS. It was made in Unity and as someone who works with Unity for a living I can tell they really fucked things up. The art style isn’t hardware intensive and yet everything is ubisoft cinematic unless you stare at a floor or something and then it locks to 60 lol. So yeah, not even playable. Not in linux, not in windows.

1 Like

gord0 said in Soul Axiom:

Just a shitily made game. Shity framerate no matter the OS. It was made in Unity and as someone who works with Unity for a living I can tell they really fucked things up. The art style isn’t hardware intensive and yet everything is ubisoft cinematic unless you stare at a floor or something and then it locks to 60 lol. So yeah, not even playable. Not in linux, not in windows.

Well, howlongtobeat says it’s one hour long, so I guess it’s not worth even to search for fixes xD

1 Like

Just beat Soul Axiom! For an indie game it’s quite good. AND to touch on my comment about Forward to the Sky being made in Unity and horribly so, it turns out this game was also made in Unity… and done exceptionally well!

There is one glaring thing wrong with the game though, the video cut scenes are fucking horrible. They were rendered at a sub-ubisoft framerate, a very low resolution, and the graphics in the videos look like they were ripped from the late 90s. When the gameplay looks light years better than your video cut scenes… you know you dun fucked up… considering the low poly low detail art style, they could have made them scripted in-engine cut scenes! They would look just as good as the gameplay, they would be at 60fps, would take up far less disc space than even one of their shity cut scene vids, and wouldn’t pull the user out of the experience like their videos do. This also has nothing to do with Unity. They’re just video files that would look equally as shity in any game engine.

Other than that, well done(for an indie title). I recommend it.

gord0 There are a few games that are made in Unity and they look hella good. Pillars of Eternity or Ori and the Blind Forest or even Superhot. But there are far better engines that are also free and I really don’t know why are they not using it. (Unreal engine for example)
But what’s even worse than a bad engine is that you were so close to finishing the achievements. My OCD device is off the charts. Horrendous! XD

1 Like

lol fuck achievements

gord0 That hurts man :’(

gord0 That hurts man :cry:

They were a joke when they first introduced them on the original xbox and they still are. Games were perfectly fine before the idea of achievements. It was originally a way for devs to get players to play the single player a little bit longer after they beat it…now it’s to get the player to play a little longer in hopes they buy dlc/microtransactions… if they’re in a game without dlc or microtransactions then they truely are pointless from a business standpoint.

Either way, I don’t have a fucks capacitor in regards to achievements. If I get any, it’s because they awarded them for playing the game normally… some achievement eh… it’s like a participation trophy when your team didn’t even make the playoffs.

They were a joke when they first introduced them on the original xbox and they still are. Games were perfectly fine before the idea of achievements. It was originally a way for devs to get players to play the single player a little bit longer after they beat it…now it’s to get the player to play a little longer in hopes they buy dlc/microtransactions… if they’re in a game without dlc or microtransactions then they truely are pointless from a business standpoint.

Either way, I don’t have a fucks capacitor in regards to achievements. If I get any, it’s because they awarded them for playing the game normally… some achievement eh… it’s like a participation trophy when your team didn’t even make the playoffs.

This is where you are wrong…well, mostly. Most of JRPG games have achievements so it can show you that there is still more content to go through. For example, usually a JRPG has multiple endings. And in order to obtain that ending, you have to play the game differently. Achievements usually helps you to navigate through the content and obtain the different ending.
Of course, there are games (like Just Cause) where achievements are so fucking dumb and there is literally no point in unlocking them at all. The only reason I’m unlocking them is because it messes up my achievement ratio on my profile. And only THAT is annoying to me because I’m a sick fucking bastard XD
As I said, achievements are most of the time useful. Hell, if they weren’t there, I would never see the other endings of any Hyperdimension Neptunia game. And no, I don’t want to youtube that ending xD
And also I know you don’t care about achievements but hell, if you ever 100% a game, I’m going to get drunk as fuck because that is a huge deal. XD

This is where you are wrong…well, mostly. Most of JRPG games have achievements so it can show you that there is still more content to go through. For example, usually a JRPG has multiple endings. And in order to obtain that ending, you have to play the game differently. Achievements usually helps you to navigate through the content and obtain the different ending.
Of course, there are games (like Just Cause) where achievements are so fucking dumb and there is literally no point in unlocking them at all. The only reason I’m unlocking them is because it messes up my achievement ratio on my profile. And only THAT is annoying to me because I’m a sick fucking bastard XD
As I said, achievements are most of the time useful. Hell, if they weren’t there, I would never see the other endings of any Hyperdimension Neptunia game. And no, I don’t want to youtube that ending xD
And also I know you don’t care about achievements but hell, if you ever 100% a game, I’m going to get drunk as fuck because that is a huge deal. XD

If you need achievements to let the user know there’s more content, the game has poor design. The user should know there’s more without achievements. Simply showing a % complete on the user’s save file can do that…or if the game has an overworld map, the user can see there are places to go that that haven’t been.

If they’re used to guide the user to places they haven’t been, it’s just lazy. The dev might be thinking, “I programmed this shit, but no one is seeing it… I’ll just throw in some achievements that they’ll have to google how to achieve so they will know where to go to find the content…”.

On top of that, they can throw in some playing cards when the user gets the avhievement. If the user sells the cards, the dev gets a cut.

If you need achievements to let the user know there’s more content, the game has poor design. The user should know there’s more without achievements. Simply showing a % complete on the user’s save file can do that…or if the game has an overworld map, the user can see there are places to go that that haven’t been.

If they’re used to guide the user to places they haven’t been, it’s just lazy. The dev might be thinking, "I programmed this shit, but no one is seeing it… I’ll just throw in some achievements that they’ll have to google how to achieve so they will know where to go to find the content.

I watch guides for shit games but for interesting games I find that extra content on my own. But yeah, the devs are lazy anyway haha
Steam was giving a game for someone who unlocked a certain achievement in The Binding of Issac or whatever the name of that game is. But I guess they stopped doing that. Whatever the case is, every single platform is giving stuff away if achievements were completed. Origin gives points for every achievement completed and you can use these coins to buy in game stuff or sometimes DLCs. Which is cool. Uplay has the same thing. GOG even gives games for something like that. Not always are the achievement useless! I like having them in any platform because it makes my profile look pretty. A pretty profile for pretty people huehue

What am I really trying to say is that I look achievements like some kind of a mini game. I have fun unlocking them and that’s entertainment. It’s the same shit like in multiplayer games where you play competitive matches to gain ranks. Better rank = better player. It gives you a feeling that you achieved a goal or something.