Suggestion: Common Chat Space

vijaydasr Are you thinking something on the forums themselves, or outside of the forums?

There is a shoutbox plugin for the forums, but I see some people have run into issues with it, so I am skeptical of installing it.

We could potentially use something like Slack or Discord. Slack has a plugin that shows new posts from the forums which is cool.

2 Likes

Maybe we should think it the other way around and set up a Discord server where the forum is incorpared… we can then also kill the Teamspeak.

2 Likes

MeFFFlenn said in Suggestion: Common Chat Space:

Maybe we should think it the other way around and set up a Discord server where the forum is incorpared… we can then also kill the Teamspeak.

Discord would work as well. I think there was a plugin that could link the two. Not sure of the status though.

2 Likes

teh_g Exactly. within the forum is what I thought. but it is ok if we can implement Discord, that is a good idea too. I hope it would be nice to have a common Shout Box

2 Likes

I vote discord. I’m always in discord, I auto start it when the computer boots up.

2 Likes

I’ve heard good things about Discord but have yet to use it. More than willing to check it out though if that is the direction we go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I vote Discord as well.

2 Likes

vijaydasr said in Suggestion: Common Chat Space:

teh_g Exactly. within the forum is what I thought. but it is ok if we can implement Discord, that is a good idea too. I hope it would be nice to have a common Shout Box

I think the shoutbox won’t work too well. The plugin is busted on this release and isn’t being actively developed.

I can get Discord setup soooooooooooooooon.

3 Likes

I vote nothing. There’s zero point. It’s already a forum. We already get notifications for all unread posts and notifications of replies and upvotes. We’re already are chatting lol. Plus there is also already private chat.

1 Like

gord0 said in Suggestion: Common Chat Space:

I vote nothing. There’s zero point. It’s already a forum. We already get notifications for all unread posts and notifications of replies and upvotes. We’re already are chatting lol. Plus there is also already private chat.

This is more where I lean. I think a Discord would be cool, but we are chatting in here. The benefit of this is the threading makes things easier to keep track of. Discord has less clicks and includes voice. Not sure how long Discord will be free though.

Any updates on this topic?

1 Like

MeFFFlenn said in Suggestion: Common Chat Space:

Any updates on this topic?

I haven’t really looked too much into it. A Discord would be cool, but we’d probably end up just using that more than the forums. I could potentially add a shoutbox here, but I sort of feel the same way about that.

I’m also pretty opinionated, so if everyone really wants something like that, who am I to say no?

1 Like

I would like a Discord more for Speech/Game communication related stuff and would still use the forum i think. Best solution would be a tool you could integrate into the forums IMHO.

1 Like

Same here. Discord would not take away from the forums at all for me. It runs in the background all the time for me. I only use it for voice during multiplayer games when I need it, or for instant messaging. I know there is a chat thing here, but this is not always running, and discord is. Sort of like what we used to use AIM or ICQ for, just when I need to say something really quick to someone in private, not a forum topic.

Since I never use Teamspeak unless specifically asked for multiplayer voice chat, I put my discord ID in the topic that has the steam ID’s and stuff, if anyone wants to friend me there.

1 Like

I just use the GX team speak…wait, is it a GX one?!

ShiftySatchmo said in Suggestion: Common Chat Space:

I just use the GX team speak…wait, is it a GX one?!

I do have a GX TeamSpeak I run.

Discord used to have a plugin for the forum software. Let me see if it still works.

Ohh please no discord, or if you really want discord please let the Teamspeak Server live. I only have trouble with discord and at least BamBam, Katsuo and me using the teamspeak server often. Or at least all the time when I’m there xD

3 Likes

teh_g is that the one we use or a different one?

ShiftySatchmo said in Suggestion: Common Chat Space:

teh_g is that the one we use or a different one?

Same one. The address is even ts.gamingexodus.com

3 Likes

I have no problem running TS to voice talk with you guys if needed. Discord is just the one my local group uses, so it runs automatically all the time.

Neither of them are going to affect my posting here. :slight_smile: