Unlocked Cellphone Research

So, my wife and my in-laws were thinking of leaving Verizon and switching to Cricket. Anyone have input on their experience or knowledge on Cricket? I know their network in AT&T. I’m looking to get an unlocked cellphone but I’m not sure if I’ve made up my mind yet. I know I don’t want some expensive brand like Samsung or iPhone. So freakin’ expensive! I was looking at Huawei Mate 9 first since it’s $599 but then I saw OnePlus 5. I could get the OnePlus 5 for with 128GB storage and 8GB RAM for $539. They also have their own 2 year protection plan for $135. I’ve never had a protection plan on a phone but I figured why not since I’m buying it straight up. Any other suggestions on phones for an AT&T network?

Best buy has the Galaxy S8 unlocked for $575 right now. I just bought one on Friday (I’m on T-Mobile though so no idea about cricket)

I know you said you didn’t want expensive brands, but it’s the same price as what you mentioned.

I don’t know how is it in US but in my place people buy phones from mobile stores buying with carrier is so much OP and the prices are insane lol… but i don’t own a cellphone so sorry I can’t help you XD

1 Like

shiftysatchmo Really? Interesting. I was thinking the Galaxy S8 was like $700+

1 Like

shiftysatchmo Looks like I need to do a little more research and not have prejudices against the certain companies. Still don’t like Samsung with all their recent problems but I’ll look into them again.

1 Like

mystichydro to be fair, their issue on the s7 was a very small percentage

1 Like

mystichydro pretty sure sYnCroSis has s7

1 Like

And it was just the Note variant of the S7. I myself have been very happy and thus loyal to LG (G2, G3 G4 and now G6) with zero issues that others seem to have had. I think the internet is just full of whiners. :smiley:

1 Like

I had the Note S7, it had the overheat issue. I switched to the regular S7. No issues, good phone. Stuff happens, and previous note phones are raved about. I’ll give em a pass

1 Like

ub6 I’ve been fairly loyal to LG as well. I loved my LG G3 but the digitizer went out a little while ago. I’m now borrowing a Galaxy S5 for the time being. I like the LG G6. I haven’t looked to see if they have an unlocked version. …Yes they do. I found an unlocked version on Amazon for $517. Now I’ve got more options. This makes it tougher.

1 Like

ub6 And that is the 64GB version too.

1 Like

mystichydro said in /404:

So, my wife and my in-laws were thinking of leaving Verizon and switching to Cricket. Anyone have input on their experience or knowledge on Cricket? I know their network in AT&T. I’m looking to get an unlocked cellphone but I’m not sure if I’ve made up my mind yet. I know I don’t want some expensive brand like Samsung or iPhone. So freakin’ expensive! I was looking at Huawei Mate 9 first since it’s $599 but then I saw OnePlus 5. I could get the OnePlus 5 for with 128GB storage and 8GB RAM for $539. They also have their own 2 year protection plan for $135. I’ve never had a protection plan on a phone but I figured why not since I’m buying it straight up. Any other suggestions on phones for an AT&T network?

As an owner of a OnePlus 2, OP has a horrible habit of being extremely behind in updates. Promising things they don’t deliver and then essentially telling the customer ohh sorry we didn’t do what we promised but hey you can but this device if you want that feature that, you know, we said you were getting already!

1 Like