Well I guess a new GPU is out.

I was going to buy myself a new GPU next month but after talking with my nephews today they are really wanting me to come visit for CHRISTmas so I caved and told them I would go. I am in NY and they are in OK (1359 miles difference or 2187.0985 kilometers) I still have to come up with a cheaper GPU for my rig as the one that is in it now an XFX R-9-290X has already been bought and paid for by a friend. I don’t want to go down in graphics, but don’t want to spend a ton either. Any suggestions? I so wanted the 1080 but I love my nephews more. This was going to be what I would have gotten if I could have found anybody with them. https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING/ (link is external)

0_1469245032078_P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.png.jpg

Edit:

Thanks Sgt_T8ie here are those answers.

Okay the use of the card would be for gaming and surfing, I don’t really do anything other than that.

Budget I really don’t want to spend much over 200.00 but not sure what I can get for that.

I use Newegg only to buy parts, they have treated me very well over the years.

Monitor I have now is 1680x1050

I play the Witcher series, World of Tanks, and a few others, getting more into RPG/fantasy games these days though I will be playing BF1 as well.

Oh I intend to resell the card in the Spring.

1070 then :wink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500400

2 Likes

As with all GPU advice requests, I suggest you should give budget, resolution, gaming preferences, possible upgrades in the future etc. I think here, we’ll be a less “partisan” response than other forums. But I’d hate for everyone to throughout suggestions without knowing what you want to do with the card.

But my immediate gut feeling was as MeFFFlenn suggested: the GTX1070 (maybe even the Strix version)

If you want to buy immediately, maybe advise what retailer you want to use so we could check the range. Especially with the way NVidia is keeping volumes low.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie Also have a look on outselling 980 ti cards as they can be around 390 Dollars.

2 Likes

MeFFFlenn said in Well I guess a new GPU is out.:

Sgt_T8ie Also have a look on outselling 980 ti cards as they can be around 390 Dollars.

I know! But get them before they “sell out”, otherwise known as pulled from the shelves. In NZ there’s no, as in absolutely zero, retail GTX980s. Obvious they’ve been pulled so they don’t cannibalise the market, but honestly the people who were going to pay the exorbitant price for the 1080/1070 weren’t going to even look at a GTX980! So why bother removing them from retail?

1 Like

NZ is not a big market as Germany(EU) or the US… so in NZ there were not as many cards on the shelves as there still in our markets. There are shops who sell 1000 units per year per card.

But the 980 ti was available and some still are, while the 1070 can be out of stock.

1 Like

MeFFFlenn yes, we still have the 980Ti available & the 970 too. But not the 980. Was just a bit fishy how they disappeared overnight.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie We got them all here still available :wink:
And more then just one card…

1 Like

1070 then :wink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500400

Still a bit to much money, I really don’t want to spend more than 200.00

2 Likes

Sgt_T8ie Edited it, thanks.

2 Likes

My budget will be about $200.00 tops. I only make $1230.00 a month and have to save enough for two tickets so it is going to be very rough.

2 Likes

Sir_diealot Well RX 480 4gb vs GTX 960 maybe a GTX 970. But this is no real performance update to a 290. More a drastically less power consumption update for 15% faster update.

2 Likes

Sir_diealot Well RX 480 4gb vs GTX 960 maybe a GTX 970. But this is no real performance update to a 290. More a drastically less power consumption update for 15% faster update.

I wish I had more money than I do, but I only get to see my nephews every 2 or 3 years and I always like to do as much for them as I can. If I play my cards right I can come home with enough to get a 1080 ti in February or March. Like I said though I like to spend a bit on my nephews.

Oh and the GF’s birthday is in September and she keeps flipflopping on whether she wants a TV or a newer tablet. I know what she NEEDS for a TV, and that is going to be significant in price. My idea is to get her 120 hrz. TV that is not smart for now then getting here a Blu-ray player in the Spring with Netflix and all on it. (Or do they make smart DVD players now?)

2 Likes

Sir_diealot Wait till you can spend 250$-300$ there is then the 1060 vs RX 480 8gb both in Custom OC card format. They would be both an update.

2 Likes

Sir_diealot Wait till you can spend 250$-300$ there is then the 1060 vs RX 480 8gb both in Custom OC card format. They would be both an update.

I may well have to do it that way. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

As a temporary card… (from your explanation that’s what I’m assuming it is, to tide you over until spring so you can give the 290 to its new owner) is look at a GTX 960 or even a 950. They’re perfect little cards at that resolution & will still allow gaming at medium settings, maybe even high depending on the game up to 60fps. They’ll also likely still be sought after on the 2nd hand market come upgrade time. I will look on newegg later & see what prices are like.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie said in Well I guess a new GPU is out.:

As a temporary card… (from your explanation that’s what I’m assuming it is, to tide you over until spring so you can give the 290 to its new owner) is look at a GTX 960 or even a 950. They’re perfect little cards at that resolution & will still allow gaming at medium settings, maybe even high depending on the game up to 60fps. They’ll also likely still be sought after on the 2nd hand market come upgrade time. I will look on newegg later & see what prices are like.

If this the case: Then RX 480 4gb alot faster then GTX 960, same pricing.

2 Likes

If this the case: Then RX 480 4gb alot faster then GTX 960, same pricing.

And now I’m even more annoyed with the pricing in my country! The RX 480 4gb is about 20%more expensive here, if you can find it.

2 Likes

Looking at Newegg the RX 480 4GB reference versions come in at $200 , but are out of stock. They’re the best you can get for that price. But for a bit less(around the $180 mark) you can grab a 380X or GTX 960.

At least with the RX 480 it then leads you on the XFire upgrade path if you so wanted… but the decent aftermarket cards are above your price range:

The suggestion to wait to pruchase in the $250-300 price range is a great one if you can hang onto that 290X a wee bit longer.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie said in Well I guess a new GPU is out.:

Looking at Newegg the RX 480 4GB reference versions come in at $200 , but are out of stock. They’re the best you can get for that price. But for a bit less(around the $180 mark) you can grab a 380X or GTX 960.

At least with the RX 480 it then leads you on the XFire upgrade path if you so wanted… but the decent aftermarket cards are above your price range:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709+4017+4018%20100007709%204017%204018%20601203818%20601205646

The suggestion to wait to pruchase in the $250-300 price range is a great one if you can hang onto that 290X a wee bit longer.

Thanks, I am hoping so, we will see. Worst comes to worse I will just be offline for a few months.