Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out today

Anyone looking forward to it? I know that I’ll end up doing a clean install of it, which luckily won’t really break any of my game installs as they are on separate drives (Though they’ll all need to be verified and whatnot.) Anyway as a sort of side question, does anyone else feel the need to be completely updated whether it’s an OS or in a game, even before you know what the developers almost certainly broke?

Oh yeah, ninja cat for life!

I’ll wait for some time for people to test it.

I personally am checking for updates constantly to get the update. I really want to toy around with mirrored notifications from Android.

I do believe things will work well on it. Unless a vendor has been sitting on their thumbs, drivers should be updated by now. The Insider Builds have been out for a while.

Worst comes to worst, the refresh option in Windows 10 is great.

1 Like

Is there a nutshell version of what specifically is being updated?

gord0 said in Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out today:

Is there a nutshell version of what specifically is being updated?

This has way more than in a nutshell:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vrr27/windows_10_anniversary_update_megathread/

I am ready:

1 Like

Looks good so far!

Zmajuga what’s the video about? I don’t stream when I’m on data.

1 Like

gord0
This article sums it up.

1 Like

Zmajuga I haven’t run into any issues other than the stubs for advertisements. I uninstalled them and moved on with my life.

teh_g said in Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out today:

Zmajuga I haven’t run into any issues other than the stubs for advertisements. I uninstalled them and moved on with my life.

Stubs?

gord0 said in Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out today:

teh_g said in Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out today:

Stubs?

The links in the Start Menu were just things that opened the Store to install the game.

Yeah the ads aren’t nearly as bad as all these sites are making them out to be. They’re in the start menu and a simple “right-click” uninstall doesn’t take more than two seconds. Thus far it doesn’t seem like too much has changed except Edge now has addon support, which is the only reason I had reinstalled Chrome in the first place. (I love chrome but on a laptop it loves some battery for brunch.)

1 Like

can you still get it for free, or has that ship sailed?

I was fixing some problems on a customer’s computer yesterday afternoon, she uses it for videos and PowerPoint presentations. She had Windows 8, and hates it. I told her, you REALLY need to upgrade this to 10, and since it was a legal copy, I asked her why she hadn’t allowed it, or had she not seen anything asking to do it? Turns out, she did not have the internet, and her work will not allow her to bring her personal laptop in, so is she up the creek for the free upgrade now?

Polekatt said in Windows 10 Anniversary Update rolls out today:

can you still get it for free, or has that ship sailed?

I was fixing some problems on a customer’s computer yesterday afternoon, she uses it for videos and PowerPoint presentations. She had Windows 8, and hates it. I told her, you REALLY need to upgrade this to 10, and since it was a legal copy, I asked her why she hadn’t allowed it, or had she not seen anything asking to do it? Turns out, she did not have the internet, and her work will not allow her to bring her personal laptop in, so is she up the creek for the free upgrade now?

I believe the free upgrades have ended :frowning:

The update has some major issues, I for one had to roll back to 1511 because of major crashes being caused. There’s been dead webcams people have mentioned, SSD issues with the Anniversary update along with many other issues.

Gorkie None of my SSDs have been having issues (Boot drive on desktop, game ssd, and laptop SSD) so that’s unfortunate to hear. The crashing also sucks, I did a clean install and haven’t really had any issues, but generally “updating” to a new a new version of an OS on top of an older version, has been known to cause problems for a lot of people.

tat2teel Well I have a copy of the newer Windows 10 Build on Disk… I will give it a shot as soon as my SSD arrives and see how it works out seeing as it will be a clean install.

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with the Anniversary Update either.

1 Like

My laptop just tried to do some massive update, and it was a fail.

It had been asking to do one, that wasn’t the normal weekly updates. I finally let it do it yesterday. It took forever to shut down. Then this morning, when I booted up, it again took forever configuring the system. Then, it appeared to be stuck in a loop. So I restarted it, and it went back to the same screen. So I let it set for 2 hours, hoping it was just something it would get past. It never did. So I reset it a third time, and this time it said restoring to previous windows version, took a bit, then came up.

I immediately backed up my files.