Work GPU (HIS HD7850) died... badly

So, some of you may know I’ve been slowly chipping my way through Rise of the Tomb Raider during my work hours, I’m lucky enough to have a job that affords some time to do that.

Well this week that all changed. It started with an increase in AMD Display Driver dumps & recoveries, but each time the game would become unresponsive, to be honest this may just be due to me trying to run it on sub par hardware. But it would generally sort itself out & I’d get an hour or two of play time in.

Yesterday I played for about 10minutes before I encountered a huge GPU hit - the grey screen & stuck audio that we all dread.

I had to restart the PC, boots into Win7 fine, but any type of load on the GPU - game, benchmark or Kombustor caused the Grey screen of death. I cleaned out the drivers & reinstalled the latest in the tiniest hope of saving it. Also gave the PC a good de-dust & checked all the connections etc.

It was all for nothing, I started to notice artifacting on the POST & the Windows splash screens, the PC could boot into Safe mode but not into standard mode at all - flashing black screen & no response from anything.

My mobo has no onboard video, so I’ve had to install an old EVGA GTX460 to even prove that my PC is fine, but only on a single screen.

So the Boss gives me a $NZD500 budget to purchase immediately to get my PC back up & running…

So my choices(due to local stock) were:

GTX950’s @ $250 - 300
GTX960’s @ $360-380

R9 380’s @ $300
R9 380X’s @ $330
RX 480’s @ $500.

Can you guess what I got?

If your boss gives you a budget, always hit that amount, because if you constantly come in under budget, when you finally need it he’ll short change you.

Sgt_T8ie That is awesome. Your boss is pretty awesome :smiley:

teh_g don’t tell him.

But also in my enthusiasm forgot that the RX 480 only comes with 1xHDMI & 3x DP connections, so my DVI monitor won’t connect until I bring a DP to DVI adapter in from home…

1st world tech problems.

Sgt_T8ie said in Work GPU (HIS HD7850) died... badly:

But also in my enthusiasm forgot that the RX 480 only comes with 1xHDMI & 3x DP connections, so my DVI monitor won’t connect until I bring a DP to DVI adapter in from home…

1st world tech problems.

Not many newer cards have DVI connections anyway, so you probably would have needed that :airplane:

teh_g said in Work GPU (HIS HD7850) died... badly:

Sgt_T8ie said in Work GPU (HIS HD7850) died... badly:

1st world tech problems.

Not many newer cards have DVI connections anyway, so you probably would have needed that :airplane:

Yeah, doesn’t make it any less forgivable for not grabbing one while I was at the store !

Installed & running on HDMI only to a 1620x1050 screen.

I love my 480! Was a massive upgrade from my old GTX 770! Enjoy, even if it is for work :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LetsGetIt1220 said in Work GPU (HIS HD7850) died... badly:

I love my 480! Was a massive upgrade from my old GTX 770! Enjoy, even if it is for work :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh I’ll certainly enjoy “working” on it. It’ll actually put my 2560x1440 screen through its paces. It’ll be good to play games in 1440 again. Over the past few years I’ve had to downscale a few of them, Witcher3& Rise of the Tomb Raider most noticeably.

1 Like

As I said, I went loooking for the DP to DVI adapter I have. Found it and you know where to pick it up. Last word… cable management, eve if it is a work PC.

1 Like

Trainsmash said in Work GPU (HIS HD7850) died... badly:

As I said, I went loooking for the DP to DVI adapter I have. Found it and you know where to pick it up. Last word… cable management, eve if it is a work PC.

The cable management is actually on point, the poor photography makes it look much worse :wink: The PC was built by a local PC shop & they put the effort in. Probably the main issue is the change in GPU’s means that the routing position of PCI power cables needs to change.

But in further updates, I’ve brought in a DP:DVI adapter and my monitor fails to sync… it seems that this is an issue to do with the QNIX QX2710’s controller. There’s a few reports of incompatibility with DP:DVI adapters…

So this means I either have to swap out the card or the monitor.

My gut feeling is to swap the 1440 screen for a 1080 one that works.

1 Like

And it’s all up and working, finally!

It’s now running 2 horizontal screens 1680x 1050 (my original work screen) and my 1920x1080 IPS from home! I guess there’s nothing for it but to take the 1440 home & use it there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While it’s all up & running there does seem to be a recurrence of the corrupted mouse icon issue that I hadn’t seen for a long time.

This week we have an audit by our national certification body, so another week will slide by without me pushing on with Rise of the Tomb Raider.