Xbox/Laptop Harddrive Questions

My eldest nephew is out of memory for his Xbox 360 and would like to buy an external one. As most of you know I know nothing about consoles. My youngest sister found these externals but I have never heard of the brand. Are these compatible with an Xbox 360?

Second one is for the sisters laptop and is the same brand any thought on if it would work with her HP Stream Notebook? Thank you for any help.

sir_diealot said in /404:

My eldest nephew is out of memory for his Xbox 360 and would like to buy an external one. As most of you know I know nothing about consoles. My youngest sister found these externals but I have never heard of the brand. Are these compatible with an Xbox 360?

Second one is for the sisters laptop and is the same brand any thought on if it would work with her HP Stream Notebook? Thank you for any help.

Either my internet is derping or you’ve not linked anything.

gord0 Wait for edit please, sorry about that.

gord0 Up but it is just a picture, my sister did not know how to copy and paste.

Are you certain it’s an xbox 360 and not an xbox one? You can’t use external hard drives on xbox 360 as far as I can tell. You can use a usb stick to transfer save data…which is redundant as the save data can be saved in the cloud.

With xbox one you can be pretty willy nilly with external storage. These are the only limitations:
Must be 256GB minimum.
The combined internal and external storage capacity cannot exceed 16TB.
Must be usb 3.0 compatible.

gord0 I am absolutely positive it is a 360 They are not allowed to take it online so Cloud is out. How about the other one for the laptop? Thank you by the way.

For the laptop you can just use any drive. Doesn’t matter. Windows/MacOS/Linux don’t treat usb hard drives any different than a thumb drive other than actual hard drives have better read write speed (provided you’re using usb3 and device is usb3 compatible, usb2 is just slow as fuck across the board regardless of type of drive).

For the 360 they’ll have to just buy a larger capacity 360 hard drive and a transfer kit…which are both overpriced. There are ways to hack it to use normal hard drives, but I get the sense that’s not an option. When I mentioned the cloud, I was referring to save data, not the actual game files.

1 Like

gord0 Thanks Gord0 Even if I knew what I was doing I am in NY and they are in OK so it would not work.

sir_diealot said in Xbox/Laptop Harddrive Questions:

gord0 Thanks Gord0 Even if I knew what I was doing I am in NY and they are in OK so it would not work.

Although I don’t have a 360, I’m fairly sure deleting a game does not delete your save file (unless you tell it to). They should be able to delete a game they don’t play much to make space without losing save data.

1 Like

Or you can tell your nephew to buy a xbox one. Used one should probably cost the same as a larger hard drive haha. Plus he can play almost all x360 games on Xbox one.

1 Like

katsuo said in Xbox/Laptop Harddrive Questions:

Or you can tell your nephew to buy a xbox one. Used one should probably cost the same as a larger hard drive haha. Plus he can play almost all x360 games on Xbox one.

Probably not a solution if this kid is stuck offline. You need the xbone to be fully up to date + whenever you pop in a 360 disc you haven’t played on the xbone it requires a small download to make it work. Also they’re constantly adding more games to the backwards compatible list. On top of that, if they get some xbone games, every single xbone disc is broken. They all rely on day one patches. So for an offline system, xbone is a bad idea.

gord0 said in Xbox/Laptop Harddrive Questions:

Although I don’t have a 360, I’m fairly sure deleting a game does not delete your save file (unless you tell it to). They should be able to delete a game they don’t play much to make space without losing save data. I don’t know if they even know how to do that, I am the most technical person in the family other than maybe my uncle in TX if that tells you anything.

He is only 11

He is only 11

Being 11 isn’t a barrier to xbox one, being offline is.

He is only 11

Ah. Didn’t know you need to patch stuff million times to get a old game work on the thing. Guess, my idea sucks haha

He is only 11

Ah. Didn’t know you need to patch stuff million times to get a old game work on the thing. Guess, my idea sucks haha

Though I don’t know if Live is required for game patches… Sir_diealot is the xbox offline offline, or online with no Live subscription?

He is only 11

It’s a barrier to the wallet! :smiley:

He is only 11

Thanks for trying.