Zmajuga - Gamer Challenge 2019.

CELESTE - :spiral_calendar: September 8th | :stopwatch: 8 hours | :clipboard: 9/10

This game was on my wishlist before Epic gave it for free. Since Iā€™m all about platformer games these days I decided to try this one today.

Surprise, surprise, again an indie gem. Celeste is one hell of a game.

The story in Celeste is one about overcoming doubt, anxiety, depression. Emotions and states that can have negative impact on our lives. The main character starts climbing the mountain, which IMO represents the the psychological obstacles in her life that she has to overcome. There are different characters helping her through her quest and nicely fill the story.

Gameplay mechanic is basic for platformers, movement with couple of extra moves. As you progress through the story, levels are getting harder and harder. Also as in most platformers there are secrets all around.

Graphics are nice. Game levels design is old school pixelated, which I like.

Sound is OK, but music is great.

I can certainly recommend this game to anyone who want quick game to finish.
I donā€™t recommend this game if you get frustrated easy. Just to warn you that in these 8 hours of playing Celeste my character died hundreds of times. :laughing:

Personal score 9/10.

5 Likes

That game is installed and waiting to be played. Now I only need timeā€¦

Yeahā€¦I forget I think I said 10/10 when I beat it on Switch. Itā€™s freaking good

1 Like

FREEDOM PLANET - :spiral_calendar: September 17th | :stopwatch: 14 hours | :clipboard: 8/10

I started this game long time ago and decided to finish it while Iā€™m in a retro mood.
The Sonic vibe drew me to this game and I wasnā€™t disappointed.

The game has a nice story with interesting characters.

Gameplay mechanic is very similar to Sonic the Hedgehog so any of you who played Sonic will be on the common ground. After you finish the game with Lilac the next character will be unlocked. I finished game with all characters just from curiosity to see if there are new levels. I can say that beside couple of levels there are small differences in the story, but nothing worth of spending time replaying game with other characters.

Graphics are nice. Game levels design is old school pixelated.

Sound is OK with nice voice overs and solid music.

If you like Sonic and want to play a game thatā€™s quick to finish I can recommend it.

Personal score 8/10.

3 Likes

Try Dead Cells next if you are still in that retro mood. Itā€™s ridiculously good.

1 Like

BATTLEFIELD V - :spiral_calendar: October 4th | :stopwatch: 12 hours | :clipboard: 7/10

Since I got this game with Origin Access I decided to try SP campaign mode to see whatā€™s it all about, and I must say I was pretty surprised. Campaign has a 3 different war stories which can be finished in around 12 hours (played in hardcore). Graphics are great. Sound is good but had some issues. Gameplay is standard but I ran into some bugs which I didnā€™t like at all.

If you like BF campaigns play it. Nice and quick WW2 adventure.

Personal score 7/10.

4 Likes

I need to beat 3, 4, and eventually this one. I loved the Bad Company 2 campaign

What about Battletech? :stuck_out_tongue:

Battle Toads?

1 Like

I slowed down a bit with Battletech. Itā€™s like XCOM or Jagged Alliance. Somehow I donā€™t want to finish it fast. Iā€™m collecting mech parts. :wink:

1 Like

Retro Battletoads! That I can play anytime. New one? I donā€™t like it at all.

NES one was obviously great, but I loved the SNES one too

1 Like

Battletoads / Double Dragon was also great.

Agreed, I just never beat that one. On a side note, I managed to pre-order a Ninja Turtles Arcade1Up yesterday. I bet thatā€™ll make you happy.

2 Likes

Certainly. Iā€™m sucker for arcade cabinets.

Actually, my future goal is to buy an old arcade cabinet. Restore it and put my RecalBox computer in it. The most difficult task will be finding quality buttons and joysticks since no one is selling them here.

pokit_12bf6e4ef656f8d8a5b2ee769c747c77

HACKNET - :spiral_calendar: November 13th | :stopwatch: 14 hours | :clipboard: 7/10

Thereā€™s nothing much to say about this game. Itā€™s a simplified kind of hacking simulator. It has a nice story which you uncover while you progress through hacker ranks. Itā€™s easy to play and itā€™s an adventure game for relaxation. Play it if you have it in your library.

Personal score 7/10.

1 Like

Cool! That game looks like an old game I played called Uplink.

1 Like

Yes. Uplink was great too. :slight_smile:

GRIS - :spiral_calendar: December 25th | :stopwatch: 6 hours | :clipboard: 9/10

First of all, thank you @Katsuo for this Christmas gift.

I decided to finish it immediately and I must say itā€™s a perfect one to end this year game challenge.

This is not a just game. Itā€™s a piece of art. Wonderful art direction, great soundtrack and dark emotional story just envelop you into it. Everything sets perfectly and I enjoyed every part of it. The only reason I lowered the score is because the game is to short.

If you still havenā€™t played it and you love artistic games like Bride, I certainly recommend you to play.

Personal score 9/10.

3 Likes

I remember this game being nominated for some awards on TGA. Glad you enjoyed it.

1 Like