Help me choose a PSU!

• OK, I'm in the process of a slow & steady 1151 build. It will be a departure from my "Firestarter" ITX box with the intention to go full ATX.

I have a chassis & a theme to build around it (don't want to expose my hand too early ;) )

But I will be leaving my Fractal Design Integra in the ITX build and buying a brand new 80+Gold PSU.

Based on what I want to do inside the PC I have my sights set on an EVGA PSU. And this is where everything goes a bit sideways. I will outline my thoughts but I would like people to shoot them down and challenge them.
    In my opinion the sweet spot for an ATX PSU is 750W and for that reason I'm looking at a SuperNova G2 ($128 shipped). This would give me room if the lottery ever blesses me to XFire my Nano with a Fury or SLi an NVidia card. It's a long shot but having that headroom there would be nice.

But I see that there is a new SuperNova G3 line out now - for approximately the same price I could get the 650W version($133 shipped), the 750W is 20USD more for my stretched budget. The bonus of the G3 is a slightly smaller footprint & slightly better eco-Fan operation. Downside is a 7yr instead of a 10yr Warranty.

The 3rd option is the SuperNova GS (Seasonic OEM vs the previous SuperFlowers) now here we have a conundrum with the 850W model being discounted @ $120 shipped. So is 850W a ridiculous amount of power if I never get to XFire? The reviews indicate that the efficiency all the way down to 10% load is still Gold class. Also the GS is generally considered a lesser option to the mighty G2, but that's splitting hairs over various functions ( the warranty & the fan noise in particular).

For additional information the PSUs are retailing here locally in NZ for about $160USD

So come on in & voice an opinion.

• Scratch EVGA/Seasonic and get any Enermax Revolution PSU. ERX750AWT is a good one. Enermax is a beast.

• @Katsuo said in Help me choose a PSU!:

Scratch EVGA/Seasonic and get any Enermax Revolution PSU. ERX750AWT is a good one. Enermax is a beast.

Thanks, you gave me an option to look at. But higher price & no delivery to my country. Also a tier 3 PSU as opposed to the EVGAs. Would consider it if it was cheaper than my 3 options above, but not for more $$$'s.

• @Sgt_T8ie said in Help me choose a PSU!:

@Katsuo said in Help me choose a PSU!:

Scratch EVGA/Seasonic and get any Enermax Revolution PSU. ERX750AWT is a good one. Enermax is a beast.

Thanks, you gave me an option to look at. But higher price & no delivery to my country. Also a tier 3 PSU as opposed to the EVGAs. Would consider it if it was cheaper than my 3 options above, but not for more $$$'s.

Honestly, I had no idea that they are that expensive. xD
    I have a similar one from above but 850W so I assumed it's not that expensive.

• @Katsuo It's no issue. I asked for opinions & you provided one. It may be because the EVGA seem to be on a steep discount for Black Friday?

• Stick to EVGA PSUs. if you can get G3 then get a G3 :)

• @Adnan_Popara Even if it's 650W instead of 750W?

• Rocket League is for Lovers

@Sgt_T8ie What do you have inside your PC that needs 750watts of current going into them? Or how much power does your PC actually need?

• @MeFFFlenn said in Help me choose a PSU!:

@Sgt_T8ie What do you have inside your PC that needs 750watts of current going into them? Or how much power does your PC actually need?

This is the thing - The only reason I would need >650W is if in the future I can get hold of a Nano to Xfire with my Nano, or another GTX 980 to SLi.

Currently the specs are shaping up to be:
    Z170 motherboard
    i5 CPU - air cooled
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    GTX 980 or R9 Nano
    2x SSDs
    2x HDDs

So initial view of what is going into the box would only really need a 550-600W but the extra 100W should get me enough to go multiGPu if the chance came up

• @Sgt_T8ie for this type of PC recommendation is 750 W up to 850 W if you will do any kind of upgrade like 2xGPU in SLI, or if you will OC system .. basic calculation looks like this :) *PSU CALCULATOR PART LIST* it is by design pure overkill but as you will see 750-850W will do do job ... Now about the brand of PSU .. I would stick to EVGA ,, why?

1.# Reliability

2.# Warranty up to 10 years
    alt text

3.# +12 V Rail system strength (very important for (multiple) GPU power consumption)
    alt text

4.# Modular Design on all G/P/T - 2/3 models

5.# ECO Mode can run silently with out of fan and with out of overheating ....

Which one? maybe this can help you decide ... In short any 750 or 850 from range G/P/T - 2/3 or if you like something fancy G/P/T - 2L

alt text

you can get some + 10 % of discount by filling this form here and if you buy PSU Directly from EVGA web shop ...

• @Mark2K77 Thanks for that - I've been running PSU calculations through & all that. Even used that Outervision one too.

And you've ouytlined teh reaosns why I'm looking at EVGA - just through Amazon at the moment as the EVGA site is more expensive currently.

• Really well detailed answer by Mark2k77.. 750W minimum for headroom. OC that Fury will need it, especially if you going Multi-GPU.

• Forum Mod

I always go corsair or Thermaltake gold certified and haven't had a problem with either.

• @ShiftySatchmo My Corsair RM650x is perfectly fine as well :P

• @ShiftySatchmo said in Help me choose a PSU!:

I always go corsair or Thermaltake gold certified and haven't had a problem with either.

OK more options to trawl through....

Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER DPS 750W is same price as the 850W EVGA GS so I guess that's not a fair option.

Corsair brings up more viable substitutions. There's a RM750i to go head to head with the 750 G2, so off I go to read jonnyguru.com.

• Thank you everyone who posted an opinion & helped with the thought process!

Pulled the trigger & grabbed via Amazon an EVGA 850W G2 for $110 + $28 shipping. It came down to a choice between the RM750i & the EVGA 750W G2 - but when I checked prices the 850W G2 was discounted by $30 so made that choice instead.

Will post pics when it comes in.

• I had the RM750 not he i or x. Biggest piece of ... Chinology OEM. Just as it happens the only Corsair PSU I know was ever recalled. I have the luck.

• @Sgt_T8ie I didn't get a chance to chime in, but I think you did well!

• @Polekatt said in Help me choose a PSU!:

@Sgt_T8ie I didn't get a chance to chime in, but I think you did well!

I like to be challenged on my choices & everyone threw up great alternatives & the opinions supporting the way I was leaning all mentioned the same factors that I was using to make my decision. I found it a great little discussion.

Looks like your connection to Gaming Exodus was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.