Help me choose a PSU!

• OK, I’m in the process of a slow & steady 1151 build. It will be a departure from my “Firestarter” ITX box with the intention to go full ATX.

I have a chassis & a theme to build around it (don’t want to expose my hand too early ;) )

But I will be leaving my Fractal Design Integra in the ITX build and buying a brand new 80+Gold PSU.

Based on what I want to do inside the PC I have my sights set on an EVGA PSU. And this is where everything goes a bit sideways. I will outline my thoughts but I would like people to shoot them down and challenge them.
    In my opinion the sweet spot for an ATX PSU is 750W and for that reason I’m looking at a SuperNova G2 ($128 shipped). This would give me room if the lottery ever blesses me to XFire my Nano with a Fury or SLi an NVidia card. It’s a long shot but having that headroom there would be nice.

But I see that there is a new SuperNova G3 line out now - for approximately the same price I could get the 650W version($133 shipped), the 750W is 20USD more for my stretched budget. The bonus of the G3 is a slightly smaller footprint & slightly better eco-Fan operation. Downside is a 7yr instead of a 10yr Warranty.

The 3rd option is the SuperNova GS (Seasonic OEM vs the previous SuperFlowers) now here we have a conundrum with the 850W model being discounted @ $120 shipped. So is 850W a ridiculous amount of power if I never get to XFire? The reviews indicate that the efficiency all the way down to 10% load is still Gold class. Also the GS is generally considered a lesser option to the mighty G2, but that’s splitting hairs over various functions ( the warranty & the fan noise in particular).

For additional information the PSUs are retailing here locally in NZ for about $160USD

So come on in & voice an opinion.

• Scratch EVGA/Seasonic and get any Enermax Revolution PSU. ERX750AWT is a good one. Enermax is a beast.

• @Katsuo said in Help me choose a PSU!:

Scratch EVGA/Seasonic and get any Enermax Revolution PSU. ERX750AWT is a good one. Enermax is a beast.

Thanks, you gave me an option to look at. But higher price & no delivery to my country. Also a tier 3 PSU as opposed to the EVGAs. Would consider it if it was cheaper than my 3 options above, but not for more $$$'s.

• @Sgt_T8ie said in Help me choose a PSU!:

@Katsuo said in Help me choose a PSU!:

Scratch EVGA/Seasonic and get any Enermax Revolution PSU. ERX750AWT is a good one. Enermax is a beast.

Thanks, you gave me an option to look at. But higher price & no delivery to my country. Also a tier 3 PSU as opposed to the EVGAs. Would consider it if it was cheaper than my 3 options above, but not for more $$$'s.

Honestly, I had no idea that they are that expensive. xD
    I have a similar one from above but 850W so I assumed it’s not that expensive.

• @Katsuo It’s no issue. I asked for opinions & you provided one. It may be because the EVGA seem to be on a steep discount for Black Friday?

• Stick to EVGA PSUs. if you can get G3 then get a G3 :)

• @Adnan_Popara Even if it’s 650W instead of 750W?

• Rocket League is for Lovers

@Sgt_T8ie What do you have inside your PC that needs 750watts of current going into them? Or how much power does your PC actually need?

• @MeFFFlenn said in Help me choose a PSU!:

@Sgt_T8ie What do you have inside your PC that needs 750watts of current going into them? Or how much power does your PC actually need?

This is the thing - The only reason I would need >650W is if in the future I can get hold of a Nano to Xfire with my Nano, or another GTX 980 to SLi.

Currently the specs are shaping up to be:
    Z170 motherboard
    i5 CPU - air cooled
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    GTX 980 or R9 Nano
    2x SSDs
    2x HDDs

So initial view of what is going into the box would only really need a 550-600W but the extra 100W should get me enough to go multiGPu if the chance came up

• @Sgt_T8ie for this type of PC recommendation is 750 W up to 850 W if you will do any kind of upgrade like 2xGPU in SLI, or if you will OC system … basic calculation looks like this :) *PSU CALCULATOR PART LIST* it is by design pure overkill but as you will see 750-850W will do do job … Now about the brand of PSU … I would stick to EVGA , why?

1.# Reliability

2.# Warranty up to 10 years
    alt text

3.# +12 V Rail system strength (very important for (multiple) GPU power consumption)
    alt text

4.# Modular Design on all G/P/T - 2/3 models

5.# ECO Mode can run silently with out of fan and with out of overheating …

Which one? maybe this can help you decide … In short any 750 or 850 from range G/P/T - 2/3 or if you like something fancy G/P/T - 2L

alt text

you can get some + 10 % of discount by filling this form here and if you buy PSU Directly from EVGA web shop …

• @Mark2K77 Thanks for that - I’ve been running PSU calculations through & all that. Even used that Outervision one too.

And you’ve ouytlined teh reaosns why I’m looking at EVGA - just through Amazon at the moment as the EVGA site is more expensive currently.

• Really well detailed answer by Mark2k77… 750W minimum for headroom. OC that Fury will need it, especially if you going Multi-GPU.

• Forum Mod

I always go corsair or Thermaltake gold certified and haven’t had a problem with either.

• @ShiftySatchmo My Corsair RM650x is perfectly fine as well :P

• @ShiftySatchmo said in Help me choose a PSU!:

I always go corsair or Thermaltake gold certified and haven’t had a problem with either.

OK more options to trawl through…

Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER DPS 750W is same price as the 850W EVGA GS so I guess that’s not a fair option.

Corsair brings up more viable substitutions. There’s a RM750i to go head to head with the 750 G2, so off I go to read jonnyguru.com.

• Thank you everyone who posted an opinion & helped with the thought process!

Pulled the trigger & grabbed via Amazon an EVGA 850W G2 for $110 + $28 shipping. It came down to a choice between the RM750i & the EVGA 750W G2 - but when I checked prices the 850W G2 was discounted by $30 so made that choice instead.

Will post pics when it comes in.

• I had the RM750 not he i or x. Biggest piece of … Chinology OEM. Just as it happens the only Corsair PSU I know was ever recalled. I have the luck.

• @Sgt_T8ie I didn’t get a chance to chime in, but I think you did well!

• @Polekatt said in Help me choose a PSU!:

@Sgt_T8ie I didn’t get a chance to chime in, but I think you did well!

I like to be challenged on my choices & everyone threw up great alternatives & the opinions supporting the way I was leaning all mentioned the same factors that I was using to make my decision. I found it a great little discussion.

Looks like your connection to Gaming Exodus was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.