Aion

Aion EU (US will get it July 13th) finally gets the 5.0 patch! Aion is probably the best MMORPG ever made in my opinion. Too bad, people stopped playing it because it went free to play. Gotta get back to it after I finish the achievement hunt on Steam.

Katsuo said in /404:

Aion EU (US will get it July 13th) finally gets the 5.0 patch! Aion is probably the best MMORPG ever made in my opinion. Too bad, people stopped playing it because it went free to play. Gotta get back to it after I finish the achievement hunt on Steam.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRYYvdZyH50

I used to play it back in the early days. I even paid $2 usd for someone to make me an adult account on the Chinese open beta servers. (Child accounts only let you play 3 hrs at a time. If you keep playing xp and drop rates decrease until eventually you are playing for nothing. Then you have to wat 5hrs for it to reset).

1 Like

gord0 I played Aion ever since it was released (1.0) and it was my first game where I was subscribed haha. I think I’ve spend around 3000 hours on Aion. Maybe even more. And I knew Chinese players have some weird subscription thing in every game. I think they have to pay on how much they played a game. My brother told me that he has to pay Overwatch for every minute he played. It’s not much but eventually he’ll pay for the game $200 if he keeps playing it regularly. He lives in China atm.

1 Like

What exactly is MMORPG? How does it differ from games like WoW and in what way is it different than a RPG? Is it what they refer to as a “Turn Based Game” like you are attacking with a bunch of people and you do your attack and then you have to wait for others in the group to attack in order before you can attack? Truth is I really am still new to gaming compared to many of you, for me it was nothing but FPS for years and then I found The WItcher series and am into RPG’s Oh I played the Half-Life series as well and Dishonored an am getting into racing games as well.

Sir_diealot said in Aion:

What exactly is MMORPG? How does it differ from games like WoW and in what way is it different than a RPG? Is it what they refer to as a “Turn Based Game” like you are attacking with a bunch of people and you do your attack and then you have to wait for others in the group to attack in order before you can attack? Truth is I really am still new to gaming compared to many of you, for me it was nothing but FPS for years and then I found The WItcher series and am into RPG’s Oh I played the Half-Life series as well and Dishonored an am getting into racing games as well.

MMORPG stand for Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

it basically means its online, and a lot of people. WoW is a MMORPG, there is no difference.

In my opinion though, not a lot of roleplaying goes on anymore in the MMORPG’s. :wink:

2 Likes

Polekatt said in Aion:

it basically means its online, and a lot of people. WoW is a MMORPG, there is no difference.

In my opinion though, not a lot of roleplaying goes on anymore in the MMORPG’s. :wink:

Okay thanks, I knew what it stood for, just did not know the difference between it and the term MMO I always thought that WoW was categorized as a MMO not a MMORPG

1 Like

Polekatt said in Aion:

Okay thanks, I knew what it stood for, just did not know the difference between it and the term MMO I always thought that WoW was categorized as a MMO not a MMORPG

People say MMO because it’s shorter to say than MMORPG. They’re the same.

3 Likes

gord0 said in Aion:

Polekatt said in Aion:

People say MMO because it’s shorter to say than MMORPG. They’re the same.
Thanks.

Sir_diealot

I think the two terms are synonymous with each other. Most people say either one of them to refer to the same type game.

Edit: gord0 beat me to it!!

Honestly, an MMORPG “IS” an MMO, it just depends on if you see it as an RPG or not. :wink:

2 Likes

Polekatt said in Aion:

Sir_diealot

I think the two terms are synonymous with each other. Most people say either one of them to refer to the same type game.

Thanks

1 Like

Sir_diealot Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. That’s MMORPG.
WoW is a MMORPG. It’s basically a game meant to be played with tons of people at the same time. Some of the MMORPGs are made into a huge open world like Aion/Guild Wars 2/ Wildstar or WoW and some of them are instanced like Vindictus, where you do only dungeons and raids with people. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited is also a MMORPG. Basically a “Skyrim/Oblivion” game made into a larger world where you can join with other people and do whatever you want there with them.
Now, there are few games that differ from other standard MMORPG games like WoW or Everquest or Final Fantasy 14 in terms of gameplay. Some of them are turn based, some of them are hack and slash-ish (where you mash the buttons until your fingers bleed) and some of them might be even strategy MMORPGs (which are usually rare). There is also a genre called MMOFPS (Firefall, Destiny, Warframe etc.). Same thing as MMORPG only made as a shooter.

If Witcher 3 was made for online play, it would be a MMORPG instead of just RPG. The only difference between RPG and MMORPG is just the thing that you can connect with other players and play the same game at the same time and that’s all.
I wish I could explain it to you a bit better but ehh, I’m too young. I don’t know all the English words hahah

3 Likes

Katsuo said in Aion:

I wish I could explain it to you a bit better but ehh, I’m too young. I don’t know all the English words hahah

No worries about your age or English, you made a great explanation. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Katsuo said in Aion:

WoW is a MMORPG. It’s basically a game meant to be played with tons of people at the same time. Some of the MMORPGs are made into a huge open world like Aion/Guild Wars 2/ Wildstar or WoW and some of them are instanced like Vindictus, where you do only dungeons and raids with people. The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited is also a MMORPG. Basically a “Skyrim/Oblivion” game made into a larger world where you can join with other people and do whatever you want there with them.
Now, there are few games that differ from other standard MMORPG games like WoW or Everquest or Final Fantasy 14 in terms of gameplay. Some of them are turn based, some of them are hack and slash-ish (where you mash the buttons until your fingers bleed) and some of them might be even strategy MMORPGs (which are usually rare). There is also a genre called MMOFPS (Firefall, Destiny, Warframe etc.). Same thing as MMORPG only made as a shooter.

If Witcher 3 was made for online play, it would be a MMORPG instead of just RPG. The only difference between RPG and MMORPG is just the thing that you can connect with other players and play the same game at the same time and that’s all.

You did a great job explaining and you English is just fine.

2 Likes