Anybody remember the name of this game?

I don’t recall the name of the game but basically you are walking around on this island trying to find out what happened to somebody that had been there. I remember you go underground a few time, also into a ravine of some sort and I think I was at the end when it crashed where there was like a camping area set up or someplace maybe a group had set up headquarters but I think it was more of a camp. It have very nice visuals at that time and I would like to try to play it again but it is one of those that you have to play all the way through in one setting. I do have it on Steam but don’t remember what it is and none of the titles I have rings a bell but then again my clapper has been missing for a long while. Thanks ahead of time.

Firewatch? Vanishing of Ethan Carter?

ButtStallion said in Anybody remember the name of this game?:

Vanishing of Ethan Carter

No none of those. I want to play it again before my surgery.

I went and started watching each game I thought it could be on youtube. Finally figured it out, it is Dear Esther. Thanks anyway.

3 Likes

Dang, I was going to sat Myst. Never played Dear Esther…

1 Like

Dear Esther can be a divisive one. Sir_diealot 's loose description is practically more exciting than it really is. It is the absolute poster child for the “walking simulator” genre. It is truly all you do. No interaction at all, no running, no ducking, no jumping. Just walking. A narrative unfolds and there are sights to enjoy. I personally enjoyed it from a technical aspect back when it originally came out because it pushed the Source Engine to its visual limits. They actually just released a special edition with an engine upgrade to Unity so they could port it to consoles and I’d bet some money on VR looming too. But man, talk about a case of “never meeting your heroes”… They added a developer commentary mode option to the new version and I figured that was reason enough to revisit. Pretentious doesn’t even begin to describe it! Haha. Either way, I recommend it if you aren’t put off by the concept of walking simulators, takes like an hour or two. Its purdy.

1 Like

teh_g Fun game, very pretty. I got to what I think was the last part and got myself trapped behind a wood log and a rock and could not get out. Then found out I could not restart from the same place.

schlitty said in Anybody remember the name of this game?:

Dear Esther can be a divisive one. Sir_diealot 's loose description is practically more exciting than it really is. It is the absolute poster child for the “walking simulator” genre. It is truly all you do. No interaction at all, no running, no ducking, no jumping. Just walking. A narrative unfolds and there are sights to enjoy. I personally enjoyed it from a technical aspect back when it originally came out because it pushed the Source Engine to its visual limits. They actually just released a special edition with an engine upgrade to Unity so they could port it to consoles and I’d bet some money on VR looming too. But man, talk about a case of “never meeting your heroes”… They added a developer commentary mode option to the new version and I figured that was reason enough to revisit. Pretentious doesn’t even begin to describe it! Haha. Either way, I recommend it if you aren’t put off by the concept of walking simulators, takes like an hour or two. Its purdy.

schlitty I seem to remember interacting with a few things, like there was something in a old building that indicated where you should go. I found the sounds and the visuals wonderful myself. It was relaxing though my back did not think so.

Sir_diealot Unfortunately there is zero interaction. Narration triggers when you reach certain points and there’s one or two birds that fly off when you exit a building. A few “ghosts” or blinking lights to spot if you got a keen eye too. But mostly just wind and waves. WASD and looking around with mouse are the only inputs and all you can do.

Sir_diealot I was going to say Dear Esther but you already figured it out. Definitely a gorgeous experience.

1 Like

I will do a wild shot and say Kholat here.

1 Like

I do like this game, it would be fun. Give a rough description of what you do, then have people guess :smiley:

2 Likes

teh_g There’s this one game where you’re a goat and you do any and everything but simulate what being a real goat would be like… I’m not 100% positive but I think it’s called Warcraft? Can anyone back me up?

4 Likes

sYnCroSis You nailed it on the hammer.

3 Likes

Alex Already figured it out bud, it is Dear Ester.

1 Like