And now it officially begins: the August Gamer Challenge!
First of all, what IS the Gamer Challenge? When I noticed that I have way too many games in my backlog, I needed some motivation to start clearing them! And the best way to do this? By competing with my friends about it! Now then, how does one join the Gamer Challenge? The Challenge, or GC for short, is for people that want to clear their game library. By completing a game a given month, they can post a thread here with what games they have completed and given to some things like difficulty etc they are rewarded Gamer Challenge Points. The one with the most Points in the end of the month WINS the Challenge! And the reward for the Challenge is a game! Yay! More games to your already loaded backlog! (Note: games might not be given right away, but will be given only from me.)
Now let’s have a look at the rules of the Challenge:
- You can only compete with games that you have NOT entered all previous Challenges. (unless they are on higher difficulty)
- ALL GAMES APPLY! From any platform!
- When you complete games, you earn points depending on what difficulty you played them at and how long does it take to complete it on average. In depth:
a) When you complete a game on Normal Difficulty that takes an average up to 5-6 hours to complete, you earn 5 Points. If you complete the same or a similar game in a higher difficulty, you earn 10 Points.
b) When you complete a game on Normal Difficulty that takes an average up to 30 hours to complete, you earn 10 Points. If you complete the same or a similar game in Hard Difficulty, you earn 20 Points. If you play that game again on Extreme Difficulty you earn 30 Points. Please be mindful that this has to be higher than Hard Mode to earn (or the name equivalent to it)
c) When you complete a game on Normal Difficulty whose story/campaign is OVER 40 hours of gameplay you will earn 20 Points. Like before, if you clear it in Hard Mode, you will earn 30 Points and in Extreme Difficulty you will earn 40 Points. Please be mindful that this has to be higher than Hard Mode to earn (or the name equivalent to it)
d) In the event that games don’t have a difficulty setting in preset, like in most indie games or in Souls games, we will choose what we will take it for. For example, it makes sense that Dark Souls will be considered as Hard Mode and New Game Plus in Dark Souls will count as Extreme. In indie games such as Never Alone, the difficulty is considered as Normal, so it will be counted as such.
All aforementioned scenarios will be taken into account with a site such HowLongToBeat howlongtobeat.com
- If a DLC of a game has a story or campaign, it will be eligible to earn points. DLCs that have less than an hour gameplay value on average will NOT receive points. Those that have up to 2 hours will earn 5 Points and those that average 4-5 hours will earn 10 Points. Difficulty changes the value of the Points by 5 per difficulty with Normal being the lowest (5 or 10) Hard (10 or 15) and Extreme the highest (15 or 20)
- You can enter with the same game in a Challenge (or future Challenges) but only in different difficulties (e.g. from Normal to Hard or vice versa.
- In order to register a game for the Game Challenge, you need to post your own topic with the Gamer Challenge tag below your post, otherwise it will NOT apply.
- Pics/videos NOT required, but preferred!
- ONLY games that you have completed in August count! No more, no less! And don’t lie! There is no point in this anyway!
Good luck to everyone and happy gaming!