Do You Even OWN Your Games?!

https://youtu.be/qi2bvd_UJDE

I’m pretty sure everyone knows that you don’t own the games you buy on Steam. If Valve goes down, so will your games.

1 Like

Katsuo While everyone probably knows that, people don’t really think about things like that.

2 Likes

The world is so connected now that if you don’t have access to Steam or Steam went down in any major way it’d probably be for such a major reason that gaming would be the last thing on your mind anyway!

1 Like

I wonder what would happen if Valve goes down for good. Oh the horror :open_mouth:

Technically you don’t own any media. Just the license for personal use.

1 Like

But isn’t that the appeal of owning games on GOG? DRM free so as long as you have the copy you can play it. It’s the primary reason I waited for D:OS2 to release on GOG for the beta over Steam

1 Like

But what about games like Skyrim? Just using that as an example, because I remember when Skyrim came out, you HAD to have Steam to install it. Even if you bought a physical copy of the game at the local store, (which I did), you could not play it with out a steam account. When I brought my DVD home, and put it in, no lie, the only file on the DVD was an install file which linked up to Steam and downloaded the rest of the files from there.

So yes, this is something that greatly bothers me if I think about it too much. I do love the concept of Steam, I love the concept of having a central place that I can install and deinstall my games from. But the thought of it going down and me not being able to access them bothers me.

Now some do say, if it ever goes down, there is probably a bigger problem in the world, and we won’t care about the games. I disagree with that. People need a pastime, whatever they are doing, to wind down. If the world has a catastrophe and goes back to no electricity, to stone age, I think we STILL would want something to pass the time, and relax, when we are not out hunting for bears to eat. For this reason, and you might think I am crazy, but I still keep all my books as physical copies, and I still have lots of board games, even solitaire ones, the old bookshelf games that Victory games published, that I could read and play by the light of the campfire.

This is stuff I think about.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie That for me is the reason that i got Shadow Warrior, Divinity: Original Sin or Witcher Series on gog.com :wink:

1 Like

MeFFFlenn exactly - W3, FTL, Div:OS2 for me on GOG & I’m slowly increasing that library.

I slyly asked Larian if they were going to do the Steam Link with the first Original Sin… I didn’t get an answer :frowning:

1 Like

This is all mounting up towards making sure I have my ENTIRE library downloaded & activated, so if Steam ever goes down I can trick it to play Offline…

to much effort.
If it happens I go become a casual gamer, or take up macrame.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie What is your gog account neme, so i can add you as a buddy there? :slight_smile:

MeFFFlenn it’s SGTT8IE on GOG.

1 Like