Here's something to talk about

I shut it off every night most of the time for pretty much no reason. I mean it sleeps after 3 hours anyway. Habits and stuff. Maybe I don’t want my computer doing stuff it shouldn’t be doing after hours. You know how computers love to party.

At work, we have a policy to never shutdown or sleep them because of overnight patches and such. We just restart if there are issues.

1 Like

I turn it off. As ButtStallion and sYnCroSis mentioned: It’s common sense to shut it down. It doesn’t need to use power if I’m not using it. I don’t leave my TV and lights on while I’m sleeping so why should I leave computer.

2 Likes

shiftysatchmo said in Here's something to talk about:

I shut it off every night most of the time for pretty much no reason. I mean it sleeps after 3 hours anyway. Habits and stuff. Maybe I don’t want my computer doing stuff it shouldn’t be doing after hours. You know how computers love to party.

At work, we have a policy to never shutdown or sleep them because of overnight patches and such. We just restart if there are issues.

In regards to computers doing things on their own over night, I don’t worry because none of my devices are running Windows overnight.

1 Like

zmajuga said in Here's something to talk about:

I turn it off. As ButtStallion and sYnCroSis mentioned: It’s common sense to shut it down. It doesn’t need to use power if I’m not using it. I don’t leave my TV and lights on while I’m sleeping so why should I leave computer.

My tv (monitors) turn themselves off. I don’t turn on lights period unless I dropped something tiny. I imagine you have a power bill? In which case turning off pcs makes literal cents .

I put mine to sleep at night and shut it down if I won’t use it for more than a day.

2 Likes

gord0 Windows is awful about deciding to update and reboot all willy nilly. Wake up to madness.

gord0 I just don’t want to waste power for no reason, free or not. But not all of us have the same opinion regarding power consumption and that’s OK.

gord0 Windows is awful about deciding to update and reboot all willy nilly. Wake up to madness.

That legit never happened to me. Is my Windows broken?

1 Like

Which is exactly why all of my pcs are either in linux or osx before I goto bed :stuck_out_tongue: I’m more worried about microsoft than other threats.

1 Like

katsuo said in Here's something to talk about:

Are you running 7, 8.1, or 10?

gord0 said in Here's something to talk about:

Then you have the only 10 install that isn’t broken! XD

1 Like

When my son lived here, he rarely had any lights on, or anything else in his room, but his computers. He never shut them down, just let them go into sleep mode when he wasn’t using them.

When he moved out, my power bill went down by almost $70 per month.

People can say what they want, and believe what they read, but that is a fact that I witnessed.

As for my own computer, I personally shut it down if I’m not using it, for no other reason than what Zmajuga said. Its just habit, if I leave a room, I turn off things I’m not using.

gord0 permaybe’s

gord0 Yes I agree with that, but I also like to be respectful about the power, my electric, water and heat are all included in my rent and if my landlords were dicks I would not care but the truth of the matter is they are very good people that I respect immensely so I try not to cost them much money, that is why I pay them a little extra in the late spring through fall for air conditioning every month. Also why have all that wear and tear on my components?

sir_diealot said in Here's something to talk about:

gord0 Yes I agree with that, but I also like to be respectful about the power, my electric, water and heat are all included in my rent and if my landlords were dicks I would not care but the truth of the matter is they are very good people that I respect immensely so I try not to cost them much money, that is why I pay them a little extra in the late spring through fall for air conditioning every month. Also why have all that wear and tear on my components?

There really isn’t wear and tear if you have adequate cooling. They’re designed for constant use.

gord0 Anytime there is any kind of mechanical movement there is wear and tear.

So you’re worried about fans and mechanical hard drives? Two of the cheapest components?

teh_g said in Here's something to talk about:

I put mine to sleep at night and shut it down if I won’t use it for more than a day.

I do the same thing.

So you’re worried about fans and mechanical hard drives? Two of the cheapest components?

When you are disabled and low income you worry about it all. Not to mention if you are smart.