I took the VR plungeeeeeeeeee

Amazon has a sweet daily deal going with the Vive. For same as normal $599 price, you get the $100 deluxe audio strap (everyone is saying you want to have), a $100 amazon gift card, Tilt Brush, and Fallout 4 VR. I’ve had the VR bug for a while but this put me over the edge. I am excited and terrified… mostly bc I hope I didn’t just bomb this money away for a piece of crap. Everything I have watched makes me believe it’ll be what I want it to be, but only true hands on will verify one way or the other.

More info to come as I try it!

syncrosis said in /404:

Amazon has a sweet daily deal going with the Vive. For same as normal $599 price, you get the $100 deluxe audio strap (everyone is saying you want to have), a $100 amazon gift card, and Fallout 4 VR. I’ve had the VR bug for a while but this put me over the edge. I am excited and terrified… mostly bc I hope I didn’t just bomb this money away for a piece of crap. Everything I have watched makes me believe it’ll be what I want it to be, but only true hands on will verify one way or the other.

More info to come as I try it!

It’s not the vive that may or may not be crap. It’s your video card(s).

gord0 Fury X should be good with it based on what I know

1 Like

I never really scored well on the test with mine (crossfire or single card). You need at least 120fps to not get sick (60 per eye). Also just because you’re ok playing games sub 60 on a monitor has nothing to do with vr making you sick.

gord0 I just ran the test and here’s what I got from it

1 Like

syncrosis said in I took the VR plungeeeeeeeeee:

gord0 I just ran the test and here’s what I got from it

I haven’t run the test on my own rig in a while, they may have patched it and also drivers have changed quite a bit since I last tried, but by the looks of that they’re using 45fps per eye as a good thing…which I strongly disagree with speaking as someone who develops vr software at work. Also, seeing as it’s displaying your onboard graphics as the gpu there may even more wrong with the test.

I would just see how the games perform. Most games drop the quality quite a bit once they go vr anyway.

1 Like

Neat-o! Enjoy the new toy, always fun to play around with something new. Let us know how you like it when you get the chance to dive in.

2 Likes

Welcome to the VR club.

1 Like

syncrosis wait…that says Intel HD graphics

1 Like

shiftysatchmo yup

shiftysatchmo it’s clearly high

shiftysatchmo said in I took the VR plungeeeeeeeeee:

syncrosis wait…that says Intel HD graphics

You know… I looked at that too and just shook my head and figured something is amiss because my card only has an average quality of 11. :confused:

https://imgur.com/G5SRGUP

Oh and that Steam VR test does not read the CPU correctly either, I think it just reads as default as the picture below shows I am not at 3.5.

https://imgur.com/a/vpZyh

Try Rise of the Tomb Raider in VR. It just got VR support

Initial impressions are wowwwww. This gizmo is really cool. The first game I bought was an arcade. It’s a typical American Arcade on a pier near the ocean. Has 20+ games like Skeeball, shuffleboard, etc. There was ZERO learning curve because it literally feels like you are there playing a game you’ve played in real life 100 times. That’s why it’s so impressive…

The sky is the limit with this tech as they iron things out. The sensors are insanely accurate. I am going to tweak with it when I get home as apparently there are ways to really sharpen images up. You definitely have to get used to fixing your eyes to center and using your head to look around, not your eyes. Gets tricky at first but easy to get used to.

Google Earth was insane. I gave my wife that as her VR introduction, she found her first house and elementary school and was blown away at how great the experience was. She was very skeptical but turned into a huge fan of the tech.

We played Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes and it was an absolute blast. There are a ton of free games too. I played a dungeon crawling one for 20 minutes and it was awesome. Used a shield to defend and sword to strike down. First time I saw a skeleton soldier running at me, it was startling bc you really feel like you’re there.

Really excited to play with this a bunch during holidays!

3 Likes

syncrosis I’m jealous.

syncrosis nice pun regarding keep talking

2 Likes

sYnCroSis are you talking about new retro arcade?

shiftysatchmo thanks

polekatt this one:

1 Like

syncrosis Go and get Gorn (http://store.steampowered.com/app/578620/GORN/). I‘m sure you will love it :wink: