Mass Effect Andromeda Review Dump

IGN 7.7/10 - Mass Effect: Andromeda is an expansive action role-playing game with a few great moments that recapture the high points of the landmark trilogy that came before it, and energetic combat and fantastic sound effects contribute to a potent sci-fi atmosphere. Without consistently strong writing or a breakout star in its cast to carry it through the long hours and empty spaces, however, disappointments like a lack of new races, no companion customisation, and major performance problems and bugs take their toll."

GameSpot - 6/10: “In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly. Its worlds and combat shine, but its writing and missions falter–and the relative strength of the former is not enough to compensate for the inescapable weakness of the latter. As a Mass Effect game, Andromeda falls well short of the nuanced politics, morality, and storytelling of its predecessors. For me, the series has always been about compelling characters and harrowing choices, so to find such weak writing here is bitterly disappointing. Yet even after 65 hours, I still plan on completing a few more quests. The game can’t escape its shortcomings, but patient explorers can still find a few stars shining in the darkness.”

Polygon - 7.5/10: "After a number of complaints, it might seem odd to end on such a positive note. Let’s be clear: I’m conflicted about Mass Effect: Andromeda. There’s a lot of roughness throughout the game, and the technical issues, while not game-breaking, are often incredibly distracting.

“But it’s my time with the cast that I’m still thinking about, and the mysteries about the world that haven’t been answered that make me feel like I’m waiting once again for a new Mass Effect game. And if I’m judging a game by where it leaves me, Andromeda succeeds, even if it stumbled getting there.”

GamesRadar 3.5/5: “With a little more focus, Andromeda could have been a great game. The premise of exploring a new frontier in space is exciting and original, and the cast of characters inhabiting this new world - be they the fresh races, or the people you’ve dragged with you from the Milky Way - are more interesting than not. Some of the worlds have a real beauty, and the main narrative itself is compelling enough to carry you happily to the end. But there’s too much quest padding. Too much technical jargon. Too much fighting for a game with a poor fighting system. Too many clever little animations and quest-steps in between the stuff that’s actually fun to do. Place the resulting experience next to infinitely more finessed open-world games like The Witcher 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn - or even the original trilogy - and Andromeda compares very poorly indeed. Not a disaster, but definitely not the fresh start this series needed, or the one fans have been waiting patiently for.”
http://www.gamesradar.com/mass-effect-andromeda-review/

Forbes - 8.5/10: “I have a feeling that Mass Effect fans will enjoy the game, but I don’t think anyone will claim it outclasses the original trilogy, outside of maybe the very first game. If you could combine the story and memorable quests of the originals with the combat, visuals and scope of Andromeda, you would have the perfect video game, though I think what’s offered here will satisfy most. Despite its issues, Andromeda is welcome return to one of my favorite fictional universes, and I am still not ready to let Mass Effect go. I’m not sure I ever will be.”

CGMagazine - 7/10: “At times, Mass Effect: Andromeda can feel like an expansion and not a true follow-up. A lot of strides have been made to improve the already dazzling combat system (which is leaps and bounds more exciting than your average cover shooter), but so much of it feels like a regression. That slip still puts it a cut above a lot of others in the same space, but the failure to iterate after the divisive conclusion of the original trilogy isn’t going to do BioWare any favours. They’re still putting out some flashes of brilliance, but they really need an internal wake-up call and a sincere heart-to-heart with EA on their love of mandatory microtransactions as they re-assess their priorities going forward.”

Kotaku - No Score: “Mass Effect Andromeda ultimately trades polish for ambition. It’s a big game crammed with data, lore and conversation that invites exploration, even though many of the features could do with some fine-tuning (or an overhaul). At its core, it gets that Mass Effect feeling right — weaving a compelling storyline around humanity’s place in the universe, then giving you the perfect ship full of misfits to take you through it.”

Eurogamer - No Score: "The combat crackles and the worlds are lush, but mediocre writing and tepid quests add up to what is probably BioWare’s worst RPG yet.

“It’s gripping stuff, and a reminder of the greatness of the Mass Effect trilogy - its intelligent reworkings of pulp sci-fi cliche, the taut splendour of its scenarios and aesthetic, the colour and dexterity of its writing. All that’s still in here somewhere, I think. But then you pop out the other end of the mission, back into Andromeda’s labyrinth of drudgery and obfuscation, and remember that you’re a long way from home.”

I expected lower scores haha. I guess it’s not so bad as I thought it is.

1 Like

I can’t play a game this long if the story and missions aren’t good, even if the combat is fun. Maybe when it’s $5.

1 Like

Shot some benchmark info from a YT video.

ShiftySatchmo I’m pretty sure they’ll throw the game into Origin Access in 2 months.

1 Like

:cry: :disappointed: I am such a huge fan of the trilogy, hell i just finished my 8th complete trilogy play through, and was really really really (yes that many reallys) looking forward to getting this. It’s like a piece of my soul was just ripped out! Bioware of today is definitely not the bioware of the past! I’ll still get it but not day 1. I’ll buy it after some patching and/or price dropping. I guess horizon zero Dawn wins!

Edit: I forgot to add that i did in fact form my own opinion watching a little bit here and there. It was painful!

3 Likes

Stevivor — 9.5/10
SomosXbox — 9.5/10
Generación Xbox — 9.2/10
Press Start — 9/10
Areajugones — 9/10
LaPS4 — 9/10
XGN — 9/10
COG Connected — 8.8/10
Gaming Nexus — 8.8/10
MMORPG. com - 8.7/10
National Post — 8.5/10
Meristation — 8.5/10
SpazioGames — 8.5/10
IGN Spain — 8.5/10
Everyeye. it — 8.5/10
GRYOnline. pl — 8.5/10
Forbes — 8.5/10
God is a Geek — 8.5/10
Hobby Consolas — 8.4/10
PC Gamer — 8/10
Eurogamer Italy — 8/10
Game Informer — 8/10
GamingTrend — 8/10
Gameplanet — 8/10
The Sixth Axis — 8/10
Xbox Achievements — 8/10
PC Games — 8/10
Игромания — 8/10
JeuxActu — 8/10
Critical Hit — 8/10
Attack of the Fanboy — 8/10
PlayStation Universe — 8/10
3DJuegos — 8/10
RPG Fan — 7.8/10
IGN Italia — 7.8/10
Vandal Online — 7.8/10
IGN — 7.7/10
Gaming Age — 7.5/10
DualShockers — 7.5/10
Polygon — 7.5/10
Game Revolution — 7/10
RPG Site — 7/10
Gameblog. fr — 7/10
CGMagazine — 7/10
Hardcore Gamer — 7/10
GamesRadar — 7/10
Gamer. no — 7/10
Arcade Sushi — 7/10
Videogamer — 7/10
Destructoid — 6.5/10
PlayStation LifeStyle — 6.5/10
USgamer — 6/10
Digital Spy — 6/10
Metro Game Central — 6/10
GameSpot — 6/10
Destructoid — 6.5/10
The Daily Dot — 6/10
GamesBeat — 5.5/10
M3 - 5/10

1 Like

ButtStallion Hahha that was awesome XD

Even with all the flaws, if I could afford it I would buy it… for me it sucks right now cause I have to be good, unless I dont want to do my upgrade and such lol.

Gorkie Flaws can easily ruin a series. Look what happened with ME3. The initial ending was rushed and the majority hated it. As a result many people talk shit about a game that is mostly fantastic. Or complain that because of the ending it ruined the previous 75 hours of gaming. I can handle glitches and some goofy dialog however it’s 2017 and a lot of the animation looks amateur or like it was done by a group that was more concerned with getting it done right now instead of getting it done right.

1 Like

Artem_Zmitrovich Those that are rating it so high are either shills or letting nostalgia cloud their judgement! How can anyone watch the numerous issues posted and give it a 9+/10?!?

ButtStallion I didn’t watch the video but I’m sure the game doesn’t suck, as long as you can get past it’s issues. But that’s the problem isn’t it, you need to be able to look past the glaring issues and accept that another full price $60+ game seems to have been released incomplete.

Started this game. Seems fun so far. All the messiness has been patched up. The story doesn’t seem terrible or anything, but I’m only a few hours in. Definitely doesn’t feel as high stakes.

Also, I got it for like $5