Need Advice on this bad...

Xeon E3-1231 V3 - (4 cores, 8 threads 3.4ghz) (No IGPU)
Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H

Vs

I5 4690k - ( 4 cores, 4 threads, unlocked 3.5ghz) (Devils Canyon)
ASRock FATAL1TY Z97 KILLER

Which one do you think would come out better here for gaming? Im torn between them both! And have less then 15 days to decide before I have the money to make the purchase.

Edit: Other Option is to wait till about Janurary when I can gather more funds and get.

ASUS E3 PRO GAMING V5
Xeon E3-1230 v5 (4 Cores, 8 Threads. 3.4ghz - Turbo 3.8ghz - Skylake)
GeIL EVO FORZA DC 16GB (4 x 4GB) 2133

This sums it up or me.

"Regarding the Xeon E3-1231v3 vs i5-4690K comparison, there are subtle differences that makes comparing two much less straightforward. Looking at the datasheets for the two processors [4,5]:

The Xeon has a much more aggressive temperature control system, including more aggressive frequency and clock modulation settings. It is more likely to start throttling itself at a lower temperature than the i5

The Xeon’s lower voltage rating also reduces the length of time TurboBoost can be active for

On top of this, I haven’t even started to talk about vibration limits, voltage stability issues, and chipset compatibility issues. Then there are the usual differences with hardware compatibility, overclocking potential, and other concerns."

Xeon are great for servers and some others can game too depending on the game. In a nut shell if you have to ask then stick with the consumer i5 or i7 processor.

5 Likes

Well the processors of all 3 options are too similar in performance, if you see just from a gaming perspective. In Games it does not matter if you got 3.4ghz or 3.5ghz, also unimportant if you got 8 threads or just 4. So i would choose option 2, because the mainboard is superior in specs to the other 2 options.

1 Like

I vote for the i5 as well. A Xeon has good specs in paper, but an i5 is an i5, a true gamer cpu for games :stuck_out_tongue: Less problem, more power.

3 Likes

i5 owner here. I agree on i5 CPU.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, Im gonna take awhile longer to decide just what I want to get for this Platform update for my PC here. Just to many options running around and I cant decide for the life of me especally when im now hearing Zen 8 core could be released by the end of this month.