Need for Speed : Heat

Didn’t see a topic for this one, so here we go.

First Impressions

I got the game pre day one, I actually preordered this one. Not upset about that at all.

• disclaimer - The only time I preorder games these days these days is if they satisfy two conditions. 1) I know I’m going to buy the game on day one anyway, AND 2) I get something out of it. Even then, I always wait till the week before, just to make sure nothing crazy happens in development. With NFSHeat, I knew I wanted to get it right off, and they gave me free cars. The cars they give you aren’t exclusive, but the wraps they have are, and you don’t have to pay for them with in game money. I ended up using my starter preorder car. ( I preordered Dirt 2.0 for the same reasons and never regretted it)

As for the game itself -

Overall, I’m impressed, and very happy with my purchase. The game is exactly what I hoped for so far, and actually a little better than I expected.

A TLDR description of this game would be - Its an updated version of The Crew 1.

Seriously.
I’ve played The Crew 1, and this game, I swear guys, its the SAME game. LOL. Pretty much every thing you could do in TC1, you can do in this game. Instead of the whole country its just Miami, I mean, Palm City, or something like that.

Typical story starting out of you are a rookie street racer trying to break into the scene, and the cops are bad guys trying to stop street racing.
You can then go compete in story line races, other races, speed traps, find collectables, etc etc. just. like. the crew 1.

You can customize your car a lot it seems, I haven’t really delved into that a lot, at first, because it takes earning money and winning races. You can race during the day, and earn good money, or you can race during the night, and earn money and reputation. But apparently the day races are sanctioned events and ok, but the night ones are not legal, so the cops chase you at night. If they catch you, you forfeit all your winnings from that night. As your rep grows during a night, the cops will be on the lookout for you. So the trick is to race at night and push it up to the point they are really after you, then go hide in your safe house.

Its pretty arcade like, but hey, this is Need for Speed, not Dirt Rally. Its exactly what I expect.

Graphics are great.
Sound is ok, nothing great, but not bad. A lot of music that “fits” the theme.
Gameplay seemed good, I didn’t notice any glitches during the races, but some of the cut scenes, the voices are just a tad off like in a kung fu movie. Not bad, though, I just noticed it.

Overall impression is good.
I’m quite happy with it. I played it for hours the first night, and enjoyed it.
I started by saying that it was an updated version of the crew 1. I loved that game, so I am enjoying this one. Its an arcade racer, with a story, lots of cars, lots of customization options, and thats frankly what I wanted out of it.

have not tried it multplayer or online play yet, will give an update sometime later when I do.

3 Likes

There’s no excuse for preordering digital content. Whatever tat they throw in isn’t worth encouraging bad behavior.

Disagree. @gord0 when I use my criteria.

I didn’t pay any more than I was already gonna pay, only two days later.
By paying two days earlier, I got free cars that I didn’t have to wait to earn in game. I ended up using one of them over the starter car, because I liked its handling a bit better.
By paying two days earlier, I had the game preloaded, and ready to play when I got home from work.

Now, preordering without those criteria, I totally agree with you man.

But if you are going to get the game ANYWAY, and wait until literally the day or two before only, AND get something out of it that you will actually use, then its a no brainer, imo.

Disagree. It just encourages devs to chisel bits off the game to claim as a preorder bonus. Preordering is for physical goods that have limited quantity. Digitial goods have infinite quantity. Corporations only speak money and as such that’s the language you need to speak.

1 Like

My criteria: You can do whatever you want with your money

4 Likes

Hmm, this is on Origin Access. I may have to give it a go.

I’ll definitely get it. Had enough fun with Payback on PS4 and this seems to be way better than Payback. I just hope the driving is closer to Forza Horizon’s driving. I love FH!

1 Like

Just thought I would share that I actually finished the main story of this game the other night.

You guys know me, it take me forever to finish games, because I play casually and only when I want to.

But pretty much the review that I posted in the first post stands as I wrote it.

Only things I would change/add-
the music eventually gets on your nerves. It fits street racing theme, but there is not enough variety.
the story is decent, but not great/earthshattering. its very predictable if you’ve watched any street racing movie.
the gameplay, the driving, the racing, the car customization, that makes the game for me. And even though the story is done, there are a ton of other things to do, and added content.

Well worth my money.

Here is a couple of my cars, for fun–

This is my drift car, and I’m proud of it because I had to design that graphic from scratch, with shapes. I tried to make the car look as much like the originals as I could, the way I remembered them from when I was a teen.

I actually use that shot of the Barracuda as my wallpaper, I like it so good. :slight_smile:

And this is my current main ride. When a car looks this good, it don’t need graphics. LOL

4 Likes

Biggest question is…does it have Honda? When yes, I’ll buy it literally now.

I preordered it and cancelled it for no known reasonnnnnnnnn

Don’t really care the game exists so I’ll just pick away at your grammar/odd assertions:

I’m not sure if any of us have guns to our heads… >.>

for any racing game: gameplay == driving, racing, and customization

…and anyone else who bought it.

It does have Honda.
I remembered seeing the S2000 and Civic at the dealer, but I looked it up for you just to make sure. :slight_smile:

Unnecessarily dickish, even for a Gordon.

2 Likes

Niceee. I do wish there’s the FK8 version as well, since well, it beats all of the models above in performance.

1 Like

dick for dack

@Katsuo I don’t think there is an FK8, but you’re right, it would be awesome if there was! That list I checked was from online. Next time I’m playing I’ll check the dealership in game, and make sure one hasn’t been added in additional content. Theres a lot of additional content over the last year that got put in that I keep finding. I just not to long ago ran across an Aston Martin that I could get that I had no idea was there.

Another cool thing I’ve figured out, is that you can switch out entire engines. The normal way to upgrade your performance is to upgrade the various parts of your engine, like, take for example the cooling system. Just like most games, you can purchase upgrades, sport, pro, super, super+, and elite. It boosts that part.

So what happens if you have a VW beetle from the 60s and you upgrade the entire engine to elite and it still won’t do what you want.

So, get this!! This is what I just figured out. As you level, different engines come available. You can switch out the entire engine, to ones you’ve unlocked, and THEN upgrade that.

So you could take that beetle, and stick something like a Chevy 409 in it, then upgrade it with elite parts!

It would probably fly apart in real life, but its fun to do in game! I’m getting ready to change out my porsche cabriolet’s engine to something like a 4.0 flat 6, for offroading. :smiley:

(I actually knew a guy in high school that put a Ford 289 in an MG)

1 Like

That’s really nice. I didn’t know you can actually add different engines to different cars. I wished that in a NFS game since like forever. How deep is the customization though? Like, which parts can you actually replace? Would be nice to make a Civic SUV sports car thing lol

You meaning like the aesthetic customization?

The body customization is kinda weird, its almost a per car basis. I get the impression that it is what is actually available for the car, that they have licenses for. Every piece has its brand name on it. When you are looking at the cars in their stock form at the dealer, it has a rating under it, as to how much on a scale of 1/10 you can customize the body. That Huracan I put the pic of was around an 8/10 or something, but some of them, are very very low. Not sure on the Hondas.

Now as far as the paint and graphics, there are a million pages of graphics. And with the way they let you layer and rotate and scale shapes, you can pretty much do anything you want.