NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse

teh_g Nothing like a good Droplet man! Don’t tell anyone but the relaunch of Enos Tech was on a droplet until it couldn’t handle the traffic and I got tired of using it lol :wink:

letsgetit1220 said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

teh_g Nothing like a good Droplet man! Don’t tell anyone but the relaunch of Enos Tech was on a droplet until it couldn’t handle the traffic and I got tired of using it lol :wink:

Yeah, if we ever had a lot more traffic I’d probably need to look elsewhere. I’d also need to ask for donations to pay for things :smiley:

I’ve learned enough about the data structure in NodeBB to think of making an importer, but I don’t know enough Ruby to make an importer. I’m slowly making progress.

Good news, the folks at Discourse were willing to pitch in to pay someone to make the transfer script. Looks like we’ll have something soonish.

1 Like

teh_g said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

Good news, the folks at Discourse were willing to pitch in to pay someone to make the transfer script. Looks like we’ll have something soonish.

While you wait, be sure to browse the available themes and pick the darkest one as the default! : ]

1 Like

gord0 You’ll appreciate this; I can import themes and all of them are user selectable. Basically any CSS can be added by an admin and made into a user selectable theme :slight_smile:

gord0 You’ll appreciate this; I can import themes and all of them are user selectable. Basically any CSS can be added by an admin and made into a user selectable theme :slight_smile:

Ahh. But also make it default so that’s what people who aren’t logged in see.

1 Like

Quick update, work is continuing on an import script. The guy writing it thinks he will have something by next week. I’ll probably do the migration a bit after that since my mom is coming into town next week.

I’ve been poking around in the Discourse Meta community and it is pretty hoppin, so I expect to see a lot less for issues and a lot more response for fixes and improvements.

Also, I smell a VIP program coming. I’ll call it “Kratos”, it will give you a special badge and make axes fly around on your screen when you post.

3 Likes

Also, I smell a VIP program coming. I’ll call it “Kratos”, it will give you a special badge and make axes fly around on your screen when you post.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-patreon-integration/44366

Discourse Patreon Integration…Boy

1 Like

teh_g Will there also be a lifetime version of the VIP program? xD

1 Like

peaceleon said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

teh_g Will there also be a lifetime version of the VIP program? xD

Of course!

1 Like

teh_g does discourse have the same sort of read/unread/following/ignoring functionalities as nodebb?

gord0 said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

teh_g does discourse have the same sort of read/unread/following/ignoring functionalities as nodebb?

Yeah, they are a bit more granular as well.

No idea what all is going on yet but figured I would ask for a basic explanation so I can be on board and learn from this discussion since I want to learn more about this stuff for a small posts section on my website :slight_smile: I know nothing and have just gotten my knees wet in wordpress lol

fpsmadmedic said in NodeBB (current forum) vs Discourse:

No idea what all is going on yet but figured I would ask for a basic explanation so I can be on board and learn from this discussion since I want to learn more about this stuff for a small posts section on my website :slight_smile: I know nothing and have just gotten my knees wet in wordpress lol

Might be better off using squarespace and then doubling up by getting them to be a sponsor. They seem to sponsor every youtube channel.

gord0 Enos Tech is my webhosting sponsor and I have him as well as one of my co founders who do know web development, kinda already have a site launched and have the ability to add such features I just want to learn a bit to get to know what I will be diving into. Yes I have people to do or help with these things but I want to learn :wink: teamcircusesports.com is a large part my work just learning about a few plugins and what all I want to do right now lol

gord0 Enos Tech is my webhosting sponsor and I have him as well as one of my co founders who do know web development, kinda already have a site launched and have the ability to add such features I just want to learn a bit to get to know what I will be diving into. Yes I have people to do or help with these things but I want to learn :wink: teamcircusesports.com is a large part my work just learning about a few plugins and what all I want to do right now lol

TBH I just assumed you were enos because you have the banner beside your name. I’ve never had interest in his channel and thus payed little attention. Since you post so infrequently and I ignore his self promotion posts, I forgot you were separate people.

gord0 lol no worries, and yea I have been trying to remind myself to be more active here. Spend so much time marketing on FB and Twitland that I just burn out and dont go to the places I need to so I can have good conversation like this :slight_smile:

Basically just swapping to a new backend at some point.

Wordpress is kind of similar, but is geared towards having a main post and commenting from there. This place is geared more towards discussions.

1 Like