PC Wont Start

hey everyone!
have a i5 PC a friend bought from office auction, which had a basic and cheap motherboard, power supply and RAM, but have a i5 4460 CPU chip, so he wanted to test out games on it, so i used my PSU and GPU on that PC but its not turning on.
the GPU and PSU are fine working fine when attaching back to my PC, but this i5 PC isn’t working

• not booting up.
  • screen stays black on powering up.
    the power light in mobo works but
  • doesnt beep when i remove RAM or CPU.

what could be the issue and any other ways to tests whats wrong?
i think the Mobo had a short circuit, so will need a new mobo for it.

Edit : RAM sticks of i5 are working fine.

erased said in /404:

hey everyone!
have a i5 PC a friend bought from office auction, which had a basic and cheap motherboard, power supply and RAM, but have a i5 4460 CPU chip, so he wanted to test out games on it, so i used my PSU and GPU on that PC but its not turning on.
the GPU and PSU are fine working fine when attaching back to my PC, but this i5 PC isn’t working

• not booting up.
  • screen stays black on powering up.
    the power light in mobo works but
  • doesnt beep when i remove RAM or CPU.

what could be the issue and any other ways to tests whats wrong?
i think the Mobo had a short circuit, so will need a new mobo for it.

What happens if you put just 1 stick of ram in?

gord0 nothing just simply nothing XD

What are the differences between the power sources and did you check to make sure the switch on the back was set to NA/Europe? (I forget the voltages for each). The incorrect setting could fry shit.

1 Like

gord0 the PSU i have is 550W and that PC had 300W…
sorry dont know much of these current and voltage things.

erased name and model of MBO would help … and if you can describe location and sequence of LED signal lights on MBO (do LEDs light up in some sequence or random, or particular color (green / white / red) and so on) … also would be smart to check if COMOS Reset JUMPER is on corresponding pins, if you can find it … if not will need MBO name and model … Also can you test CPU on working MBO? By description of failure it can be dead CPU or dead MBO … but sometimes MBO will not start if there is no COMOS/ and or /SPI_CON jumper… So before we say that MBO is DOA try to provide model name so i can find user manual …

jumpers on MBO for example

alt text

1 Like

gord0 yes maybe it did fried the motherboard thats only my guess so far

Mark2K77 motherboard - ACER H81-M1/AR rev 1.02
the mobo LED just lights and stays green only.

will check the COMOS/SPI_CON

Some psus are universal but some have a physical switch for 110v (na) and 220v (euro). If you had the wrong setting, it may have fried something. Do the things Mark said but also look for a switch on the psu.

1 Like

gord0 all PSU on market will work with 110 V / 230 V input (some of them are switchable, some of them have that red switch on back side) but for MBO it is same thing. So there is no special MBO which needs that PSU is switched to 110 V or 220 V input (no difference USA /EU /ROW any more for voltage input, only power cable is different) … Only problem with ACER/HP and similar crap manufactures is 24/20 /4 /8 pin power connector … Sometimes stupid manufactures will go so far that they will shrink existing 24/20 /4 /8 pin connector on non standard size, or in some cases PSU /MBO does have additional power connector … so PC will not power up if there is no additional 3,3 V input on MBO … And then there is one more thing … sometimes MBO /BIOS does not accept RAM and PCI/PCI-ex expansion cards /HDDs and so on, which are not from same manufacturer or if they not have BIOS tag with MACID /SN … so if bios does not recognize device as manufacturer device … PC does not work … or stops after BIOS POST screen

1 Like

gord0 Mark2K77 thanks for the inputs will check the mobo tomorrow and will check CPU in a working mobo in weekend(will hijack cousin’s PC :p)

1 Like

erased said in PC Wont Start:

ACER H81-M1/AR rev 1.02

Replace the CMOS battery. This could be preventing the BIOS from fully loading.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie did that, still same

1 Like

erased OK, always good to get easy things out of the way.

thanks guys, checked the cpu chip on cousin’s pc’s motherboard its working fine and also the ram sticks are fine. the motherboard might have short circuit.

need to get a new one then

2 Likes