Physical disc still requires a 5GB download

So loading up on my work PC a copy of Blood Bowl as my next game to play… I was given a physical copy of the game from a friend who won it in a raffle at an event.

Stick it in, spools up & then launches Steam to Download 5.3GB. No, it doesn’t load anything from the DVD - it has the technical support files, splash screen & the Steam install files. You’d think install the primary game via disc & then initiate a patch via Steam, but no. So my intention to get a game up & running quickly just went phhhlllppppmmmmpppfttt >:/

If I knew this was going to happen I wouldn’t have bothered and instead loaded a much smaller 2-3GB game.

Sgt_T8ie That is really stupid…

1 Like

I remember Skyrim was the first game I knew of that did this, back in 2011. I did not have Steam back then. I was looking so forward to playing Skyrim the day it came out, and I went out and found a copy. I couldn’t wait till I got home.

Finally, got home, and loaded the disc, and it said I needed Steam. All that was on the disc was the Steam install files. I was so mad.

1 Like

Physical is pointless unless you just wana look at it on your shelf. All disc games are broken day 1 due to patches… or some publishers just making discs for collectors knowing full well the game doesn’t fit on an optical disc.

1 Like

gord0 said in Physical disc still requires a 5GB download:

Physical is pointless unless you just wana look at it on your shelf. All disc games are broken day 1 due to patches… or some publishers just making discs for collectors knowing full well the game doesn’t fit on an optical disc.

True. now.
But 5-6 yrs ago, when Blood Bowl, and Skyrim came out, I daresay an internet connection, much less a fast one, was not anywhere near as widespread as it is today. I imagine there are still places around that someone may have a computer, even a capable one, and would like to play a game, even the broken unpatched version, but may not have a reliable internet connection. Scientists in the Antarctica got to have something to do for fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like