Remember that old post that is referenced below? :D

Re: What I’ve been up to…
Well this is an upgrade, it’s a Tomos T18 (18 HP) 2-stroke outboard, it was just given to me because the guy didn’t use it… And kept it in his wood shed. Unfortunately some work must be done :slight_smile:
It was slightly seized, a can load of WD40 in the cylinders and it started moving again, however the stater is broken, seems the oil has leaked from the lower unit and no stand found… So I must make a stand first hehe :slight_smile:

Here you can see the caulk buildup inside the cooling chamber :slight_smile:

Some progress has been made :smiley:

Stand made, fixed the starter mechanism, cleaned the carb and fuel pump, now the engine block must come off to replace the bottom gasket :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This looks awesome. I could not even begin doing something like that…

1 Like

teh_g Well to be honest, this is not the first engine I have disassembled :stuck_out_tongue:

A lot has happened since my last post about this engine, so all pics are here :smiley:
62 new photos added to shared album

Unfortunately the papers available for this engine were not enough, an old two stroke outboard with more than 5HP had to be at least once registered in the EU on a boat, new regulations don’t allow registrations since the emissions are well, smoken :smiley: So I got another engine for 200€, added a short shaft, had the outer parts sandblasted (a company that makes water turbines for power plants XD), painted, new prop seals, new impeller - the original one spun on the shaft, and fixed the timing and carburetor issues :smiley: And a video of it running :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/zrzXLHxxexY

3 Likes

And Another video of it running :wink:

Top speed 18.5 mph :slight_smile:

5 Likes

A simple playlist of all the videos :slight_smile:

1 Like