Schlitty - Gamer Challenge 2019

Actually beat a couple games in between not playing games and driving fake cars in circles. Maybe I’ll beat some more later in the year too? :man_shrugging:

Adam’s Venture Chronicles

Corny, cheesy, hokey Indian Jones-esque adventure. Super generic stuff. I guess it’s supposedly a Christian game according to some reviews I read afterwards? I mean it was Christian artifacts being sought after, but there were no overtones or anything I noticed. For how basic the game was a few of the point and click puzzles were actually interesting and a challenge. But for the most part you could brute force them. Couple of the corny one-liners got a laugh out of me. Ultimately not much of a game though.

4/10?

Immortal Redneck

Was in a recent Monthly Bundle. I’m a sucker for a rogue-lite done right. And they mostly got the balance right. Gunplay was fun too but lacked a little oomph. And then, I’m not in it for the long haul. I beat the first pyramid after 10hrs and 12runs and well, it got a bit boring in the last few runs. Needed a little more RNG. I think I got ahead on the skill tree progression by cheesing the gold drop skill. Dolla dolla bill. Probably 40 or more hours in this thing for a completionist.

6/10?

Sonic Mania

Sonic CD is by far my favorite Sonic game. I was lucky enough to have a Genesis/CD combo called the JVC X’EYE when I was a kid (still got it!) and played the shit out of Sonic CD. Absurd feeling of speed and the most replayability of any 2D Sonic. Well the dude that masterfully ported it to PC was responsible for this gem. I had been saving it for a rainy day. Everything I had hoped for and more. Dunno if I’m sold on the 2 levels per world and a boss for every level as I’d say far too many of the bosses were cake. But it had every little 2D Sonic thing I could ask for. Plus I still got the alternate characters, special stages, gems, true endings and the DLC still to play. Gonna have to get the lil bro in on some versus action some time too.

100/10!

F1 Race Stars

Typical kart game with generic items. Impressive tracks that combine the country theme with the real world tracks pretty well. Biggest problem is the lack of drifting. Kind of needed in a kart game even if it’s based on F1. Also unfair advantages to the AI in sharp turns/chicanes. Pretty polished otherwise.

6/10

Lara Croft GO

I dun use-ed my brain real gud.

7/10

Hitman GO

Much more polished than Lara. Was more “fun” somehow even though pretty much the same gimmick. But! Maybe my wrinkles in my brain were already warmed up, but I found it much much easier. Even the extra objectives. Just more straight forward overall.

7/10

Yoku’s Island Express

I really liked this one.

8.5/10

3 Likes

Where do you even find these games haha

2 Likes

Gotta go fast. Beat Sonic Mania, but still must;

5 Likes

I played Lara Croft GO. That’s a game right?

Only other review Ive left on Steam since Sonic Mania in Feb was F1 Race Stars. #gamer ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Time to play Hitman GO and Deus Ex GO. With a little bit of Pokemon GO. Oh yeah, Harry Potter GO is almost out so yeah, play that one too. #goception

2 Likes

But seriously, Hitman GO was fun.

2 Likes

Hitman GO

Much more polished than Lara. Was more “fun” somehow even though pretty much the same gimmick. But! Maybe my wrinkles in my brain were already warmed up, but I found it much much easier. Even the extra objectives. Just more straight forward overall.

7/10

3 Likes

Beat Yoku’s Island Express. Was in a Monthly or something. One of those pleasant surprises. “Metroidvania” style map with pinball based platforming. Charming little world/art/crap. It worked. I got one or two completionist things to clean up, that I actually will and want to. Nothing too hard. Couple frustrating moments as with any platformer. Weird but fun.

4 Likes

That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for.

1 Like

Armikrog

Too lazy to link it because I don’t want anybody to play it. Made by TenNapel who did Earthworm Jim and Neverhood. Kind of a loose sequel to Neverhood. Just an empty boring pointnclick with stupid puzzles and backtracking to make it a few hours instead of 30mins. Very half-asked and shoddy beyond the face value of the claymation visuals. I didn’t enjoy it at all. Even Michael J Nelson’s voiceover work was minimal and bad audio quality.

2/10

1 Like

There wasn’t a topic on this one and I’m too lazy to write a new thread so I’ll just mention it here. I finished this one with my…mother. She started gaming and this was her first game. It took us around 250000 hours to finish the game since she holds the controller like it’s made of glass but hey, at least we finished it haha. I really like the platformer pinball idea and hopefully there will be a sequel to this since the story was fun too. Definitely agree with @schlitty’s score here.

Also, fuck the spider boss fight.

2 Likes