ShiftySatchmo - September Gamer Challenge

Beating games, one year at a time.

Beat Pyre. 7.5/10

It was my least favorite of the Super Giant games, but it was still good. The music and art were great, as expected. They did a good job making interesting characters with solid back stories. The gameplay was a lot of fun. It’s like a made up 3v3 sport.

The problem with the game compared to the others was there were a loooot of breaks in the action in order to make room for dialogue to drive the story. While the other two had a narrator fill in the story as you played the game, this one put huuuge chunks of lore and dialogue between matches, which, while well written, kind of slowed the pace down a lot for me. Also, I thought the ending was kind of flat, especially when compared to the other games.

So, the game was fun to play and I really liked the characters. I just wish there was a little more playing and a little less jibba jabba. Worth a play.

2 Likes

shiftysatchmo Good Old Quidditch

1 Like

Beat Bleed 2 on Hard. Thanks again to PeaceLeon and Katsuo for getting it to me.

It’s similar to the original in a good way. For now I think I may have liked the original more, especially in terms of plot, but this one is by no means bad. It’s an arcade game meant to be played multiple times. You don’t unlock the ability to change weapons until your first clear of the story, which is a little over an hour. I’ll probably play it again and the different modes here and there to take a break from other games.

6/10 on our scale, which is “Very good, a cut above average.”

1 Like

shiftysatchmo it sucks

katsuo nope

Beat Nathan’s Quest, a game by sYnCroSis . He made it for his 5 year old nephew’s birthday. It was easy, as expected, but crafted with love, and full of funnies. Good job, Josh!

3 Likes

shiftysatchmo yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

2 Likes

ShiftySatchmo sYnCroSis That explains why whenever I see him pop up on steam its RPG maker?

2 Likes

mylifeforaiur Now I’m back to normal gaming for a while, but yea, I put in 105 hours the last 2 weeks to create and finish this RPG for my nephew

3 Likes

syncrosis Nice I went through a RPG maker phase myself. Don’t think I put anywhere near 100 hours into it though. Probably more like 30.

mylifeforaiur it became an obsession!

1 Like

Beat Uncharted: The Lost Legacy on hard. I wasn’t sure what to expect but it turned out to be very good! Considering it’s just an Uncharted 4 spin off that they priced fairly modestly at $40 (it’s about 8 hours and comes with the full multiplayer suite and I got it for $32) it feels pretty full. The gameplay and such feels pretty much same ol uncharted, which isn’t a bad thing if you like uncharted. The story is solid and fleshes out some of the supporting characters of uncharted 4 a bit more.

If anything, this makes me confident that they’ll be able to make uncharted games with all sorts of characters for years to come and they’ll still be good. I’d say 8/10 on our scale. It’s a great game.

4 Likes

shiftysatchmo If they make new uncharted games. Didn’t the big shot writer leave Naughty Dog few days ago?

katsuo Uncharted is a cash cow, they will absolutely keep making Uncharted games. Replacing a writer isn’t earth shattering

syncrosis Yeah you are probably right. I’m more worried about The Last of Us 2. He wrote the first one and worked on the second, as far as I know.

katsuo don’t worry my man, they know what they’re doing. Remember they lost like 4 or 5 key people during the making of Uncharted 4 and everyone was worried. 4 ended up being insanely good, yet all those “key” people had a hand in making 3 which was the worst one in my opinion.

As for TLOU 2, I would be surprised if that story isn’t already completed or very close to. I’d assume you don’t go to town on creating a game and its characters until you have a story to tie them to first…

2 Likes

syncrosis yeah it’s not like there aren’t a ton of decent writers out there. They just would reject what they don’t like.

2 Likes

Beat Alien Breed: Impact co-op style with nanderman

It was entertaining, but suuuuper short and the co-op is set where you play one level per match and there is no story. I wonder if there is a story in single player hmmm. Anyway, it was like $3 for all three games so totally worth it. The gameplay is pretty tight, decent graphics and sound. Fairly challenging too! We had fun.

Based on our review scale I’ll go with 5 — Solid all around. Provides some good entertainment, but nothing terribly memorable. A solid, “meh”.

1 Like

Finished Alien Breed 2: Assault with nanderman co-op style! It was pretty much the same as the first one with different areas, and a few new weapons and enemies. I am wondering if this was sort of an episodic thing. Anyway, 5/10 like the last one. Pretty much the same review!

2 Likes