Should I buy a 2560 x 1440 monitor?

My set up is:
CPU - i5 3570K 3.8GHz
GPU - Radeon 7950 3GB
RAM - 16GB DDR3 1600 (4x4 sticks)

It’s black friday and I’m looking at this monitor here: http://www.benq.ca/product/monitor/GW2765HT/specifications/

Its currently on sale for $379 Canadian which is save $220. Newegg, Ncix, and best buy all had it originally over the $500 mark and all three sites for black Friday are selling it at $379. My set up is most likely not going to be able to play most new games in 1440p without downing some settings over 1080p but I should be able to get more out of slightly older games that I’ve been playing at 1080p. I got a couple questions I’d like to run by you guys first though.

1. If the game doesn’t support 1440p or I can’t run it in 1440p wouldn’t playing it in 1080p make it look worst than on my 1080p monitor because it is stretching the pixels over a 1440p display?

2. Do you guys even think its worth it?

3. See anything with the specs of the monitor that would make you avoid it? Its a 60hz monitor but I can’t see my set up hitting over 60fps on 1440p anyways.

I hear BenQ is awesome. If a game doesn’t run well for you in 1440 you still have the option of 1080. Does the new monitor have better specs besides resolution? If so, it’ll still be nice even when you do use 1080. I have a 27 inch monitor and would never get a smaller one now XD

2 Likes

I’ve tested that on my friends’ 1440p monitor and I can say that it is noticeable but your eyes won’t bleed out because you played the game on 1080p. Also, you can adjust the game to run 1080p with black bars on the sides.
The thing what I wanted to say in all this is:

• Yes the game will be a bit stretched out
  • No, the game won’t be THAT blurry but you’ll see the difference. If you have glasses.
  • It’s worth. You’ll eventually buy a new GPU when you save money for it.
  • You can play it in windowed mode. Sami’s playing all the games in windowed mode. XD

You won’t probably listen to me because there will be always that guy that’s enthusiast as hell and he’ll tell you to buy a GTX 1080 in order to play 500 fps on a 2k screen because #500fpsmasterrace.

4 Likes

Go with 1080p ultra wide screen. :smiley:

1 Like

I am interested in 1440p as well. No money for it right now, I only gathering information and dreaming about it :smiley: As soon as I have a decent income, I plan to upgrade the monitor.

1 Like

ShiftySatchmo Differences from what I have now are higher resolution and panel type. The Samsung monitor I have now is TN this BenQ is a IPS. Both monitors are 27 inches. I love the larger size of the monitor. The Samsung has a shorter response time which is typical of TN panels but I feel with the higher resolution and the crisper colours of IPS it should be an improvement.

Zmajuga I saw some nice ultra wide monitors on sale but they were both 29 inches and I can just barely fit a 27 inch monitor on my desk.

ButtStallion Yeah same I’ve been considering this purchase for months now. Black Friday sales might just be the push I needed to make the leap into 1440p.

With your graphics card you probably won’t be playing much at 1440p. But running games at 1080 looks fine.

Most games I play are set to 1440p with my fury x cards, some I have to bump down to 1080.

When doing work it’s quite nice with the extra desktop real-estate.

gord0 What do you think of the CPU? A new GPU is also in my budget but upgrading my CPU is just going to lead to a different socket type and then things start getting out of hand in terms of money with the new MOBO and what not. I would assume its game specific since I play an open world game like Forza Horizon 3 and the thing shits the bed but in something like the most recent Hitman game it’s barely breaking s sweat. I’m most likely going to buy it anyways since it will be nice to have when I do upgrade/ build an entirely new build.

MyLifeForAiur said in Should I buy a 2560 x 1440 monitor?:

gord0 What do you think of the CPU? A new GPU is also in my budget but upgrading my CPU is just going to lead to a different socket type and then things start getting out of hand in terms of money with the new MOBO and what not. I would assume its game specific since I play an open world game like Forza Horizon 3 and the thing shits the bed but in something like the most recent Hitman game it’s barely breaking s sweat. I’m most likely going to buy it anyways since it will be nice to have when I do upgrade/ build an entirely new build.

Processor-wise it is very much game depedant. Games that are physics-heavy or have a bazillion units on the screen at once would cause you grief.

1 Like

I can attest to loving my 1440p monitor. You save a bit of processing power since you don’t need AA as much.

2 Likes

teh_g Yeah I was just reading some forum posts about that actually. People saying AA isn’t as important because of the higher pixel count.

I went ahead and bought the monitor through Ncix.

Love using my 1440 Monitor. Started using it with a hd7850 and the really intensive games I would choose either running at 1080 or drop the settings down to medium& work out what was the better compromise. To be honest running it in 1080p was fine.

Get IPS. Better screen clarity & angle of view.

1 Like

Sgt_T8ie Yeah the advantages I seen for TN was less response time and higher hz. I’m totally fine with 60hz and 4ms of response time sounds totally fine as well.

1 Like

I would go TN over IPS. IPS screens are known for their “ghosting” in faster games and I, personally, hate that.

1 Like

Katsuo said in Should I buy a 2560 x 1440 monitor?:

I would go TN over IPS. IPS screens are known for their “ghosting” in faster games and I, personally, hate that.

Yeah, that’s understandable & a personal preference thing - for me a muddier image would be more annoying & seeing as I think the monitor he’s looking at is only 60Hz the ghosting shouldn’t be as much of an issue - if it was 144Hz it might be a different story.

2 Likes

BenQ has been a real up and comer the last 3-5 years and have built themselves a really good reputation from what I have seen. I am interested in one of their 27" monitors myself in 144hz.

Yes, good that you brought that up Sir_diealot. What is better? A 1440p 60Hz monitor or a 1080p 144 Hz monitor? I think a 1070 can handle both side quite well.

ButtStallion said in Should I buy a 2560 x 1440 monitor?:

Yes, good that you brought that up Sir_diealot. What is better? A 1440p 60Hz monitor or a 1080p 144 Hz monitor? I think a 1070 can handle both side quite well.

Sure make me share how stupid I am. lol I understand they make one that is 1080p 144hz but don’t quote me on that, let me go check real quick.

Edit: Here is one that says it is both 1080 and 144hz if I am understanding correctly. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014487

1 Like

ButtStallion I believe you are asking him the wrong question. If you are a fan of FPS genre, then the obvious choice would be the 144Hz monitor. The monitor has a higher refresh rate so it’s obvious that you want a monitor that eliminates ghosting (which also means that you are reducing the possibility to get pixel shot in games like csgo or similar). Games like The Witcher 3 don’t require a fast monitor because the games aren’t that fast paced in general. So you would be fine with a 60Hz monitor because there is also no need to run the RPG games beyond 60fps. And the 1440p resolution just makes the game look prettier. There is just no “which monitor is better” thing. You buy a monitor that suits your needs. Like FPS games and have a beast GPU to support it? Go ahead and buy a 144Hz monitor. Like RPG games but you want the game to look hella pretty and have a GPU that can support high resolution gaming? Go get a 2k 144Hz monitor because you are rich at that point hahaha

5 Likes

I wonder when 4k will support 144hz, unless it is already, which I don’t think it is.