Spooky Month

This month is spooky month. I’ve been playing nothing but spooky games so far, well spooky according to steam. I sorted the games in my library with the horror, and psychological horror tags. So far, I’ve played through three games and I’m currently working on my fourth.

The first game I played was Lust for Darkness.

Steam is showing a site error in the preview. This is most likely because this is an adult rated game. There was a bunch of uncanny valley orgies in this game. It was pretty awkward. The beginning of the game was actually kinda creepy. Once you realize you have infinite sprint and the monsters are slower than you, the game loses all challenge. I wouldn’t recommend this one.

The second game I played was Max Payne.

I wouldn’t consider this game horror, but it has both the horror, and psychological horror tags on steam, so here we are. This game is great though, took a couple mods to get working, but it was worth it. I owned it as a kid, so this was a pure nostalgia trip for me.

The third game was pony island.

If you are unfamiliar pony island is a cute unicorn game that is actually possessed by a demon that is trying to steal your soul. You have to solve puzzles and cheat the system to escape the video game and save your soul. The game is very meta and has some humour as well. It’s a short game, took me a little over two hours to beat. The game tricked me so hard at one point. I won’t say how because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who ever plays this gem.

The fourth game is Alan Wake.

I haven’t finished it yet, so I’ll post again once I experience the game fully.

3 Likes

Max Payne has a few nightmares which are quite creepy so you can say it has horror elements.
Alan Wake is great, well-written, and atmospheric. I played it on Halloween a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

I can suggest you play F.E.A.R. Plenty of shooting like in Max Payne, but far more horror elements.

And if we talk about horror shooters, Clive Barker’s Jericho is my all-time favorite.

2 Likes

Yeah, so far it’s the scariest game I’ve played this month, and the most fun.

I actually played both of these games one year for Spooky month. Way back on the PS3 before I ever owned a gaming PC. F.E.A.R. is great. I remember it being very scary. I felt a lot of dread progressing forward in that game. Clive Barker’s Jericho I originally had just the demo. I enjoyed it so much I bought the full game. I remember it being a unique experience.

What about Singularity? It is a shooter with time-control abilities. The plot is built around an alternative timeline. It has horror elements too, especially at the beginning.

2 Likes

Singularity I’ve never played. I know of it, and I’ve only ever heard good things about it. I’ll have to check it out.

I love horror games but I’m just too weak to play them.

BUT!

I will play RE Village, Medium and Dead Space because of the spooky months thingies. Apparently, all 3 of them are super short so it can be done before October is over.
I wanted to play The Blair Witch game but I got stuck in the woods and had no idea how to proceed, so I kinda quit. Was too lazy too look for a guide haha

1 Like

Oh and I bought the Silent Hill HD collection few weeks ago! I know I played one Silent Hill game and it was the reason why I’m too weak now to play any horror game.

1 Like

Dead space is a lot of fun, the first one at least. I can’t speak for the others since I’ve never played them. Resident evil I went from playing resident evil on PS1 to playing resident evil 5 co-op on PC. Haven’t played any of the other resident evil games. I remember the first game being very creepy as a kid. Resident evil 5 wasn’t really scary at all. Silent Hill I had a demo for. I can’t even remember which one it was. I remember that demo being terrifying. I should really go back and play more games in all of those franchises.

I finally finished it. This game was great. It got very tense as I was nearing the ending. So far it’s easily the best game I’ve played this month. I used a randomizer with the horror games I had to see what games I’d play. I thought it was funny that two of the four were Remedy games. Alan Wake makes me want to play all of Remedy’s games tbh. Alan Wake and Max Payne were a lot of fun.

I hate this. Cant play crap because Im addicted to battlefield games…

2 Likes

So you can play crap

I have it even worst. I downloaded Marvel Snap to try it, and it completely derailed spooky month. Whenever I have time, I’m playing Snap.