Using tags instead of sub-categories

Discourse has some really cool best practices for migrating forums, and offers some interesting suggestions.

Something that has bugged me a lot with the old forum was the various sub-categories that we all love to have. While it worked well in NodeBB, which was a lot more category-centric, I think Discourse has more flexibility around not using as many sub-categories.

For example, the default view when you click on a category now shows you all posts in that category. So clicking Media now is just an amalgamation of all media posts ever. You can view just a sub-category by clicking the sub-category from the main category view, or clicking the “all in Media” expando and selecting a category.

Now, instead of using these sub-categories, I’m thinking we can leverage tags. Here is an example from the Discourse forums of essentially the same dropdown, but it uses tags instead:

Same idea, but it ends up slightly more organized. What are people’s thoughts on using tags instead of the sub-categories?

1 Like

I can’t be bothered to set tags. Shifty couldn’t get us to use them back on node, so I don’t see myself doing it here either. I only ever set tags when I post something on a help forum like stackoverflow or unity answers. People don’t come to this forum and perform searches, so tags don’t seem logical…also can’t be bothered lol.

1 Like

Haha, I did see that as a suggested post when I wrote this. It was him basically asking for people to tag things.

3 Likes

I gave up long ago. Even I was too lazy to do it hahahaha

3 Likes

I tagged everything I posted back in the old day of GX ver. 1.

Felt like I was the only one really.

1 Like

We can actively try to tag things and see how it goes from there.

1 Like